Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post here

Wheatfield, NY (Suburbs of Buffalo/Niagara Falls)

Default First post here

Hello everyone,
    Nice to meet you all.

Let me start by saying I am a 3-5 cigar a week guy in the summer and this time of year pretty much blows! I am in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY and after a very mild Nov, Dec, and start of January we got hammered with both cold and snow. My last cigar was 2/18 sitting in my garage with the door open and the wind howling.

My faorites are:
    Montecristo #2's (non Cuban unless I am on the other side of the border)
    H. Upman
    Cusano 18
    Romeo & Julieta

I don't recall the actual 'vintages' because I keep the labels in the car for my trips to the Indian reservation that is about 5 miles from my house. Killer deals day to day but sometimes mail order has better pakage deals.

Actually posting a question. (questions?)

I am in the process of making a coolidor with a 120 Qt Walmart special.
    I currently have a ~100 ct humidor with a Cigar Oasis XL and one of the polymer jars to help prevent the XL from cycling on and off every 5 minutes. I plan on keeping this on my dresser for day-to-day and restocking it from the coolidor to prevent opening and closing the cooler excessively.

I bought a hygrometer at Walmart and it is been doing the salt test for 2 days. 64% is as high as it has read. It is not the Sunbeam one I have read about, so I do not know if I should return it and just order one on-line. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I went with the coolidor because I figured the wife wouldn't let me keep something like a trunk in any living space. Once I told her about the cooler, she said she has a trunk at her parents house that would go fine in our closet. Who knew??? She will getting measurements and it may come up with her parents Easter weekend.

So, If I go about setting up the coolidor which includes stocking it! :) How would you recommend getting a large volume item like a trunk seasoned and ready without doubling my humidification? I have a 1# bag of 70% RH Heartfelt beads that will be going into the coolidor. Oh, there is a specialty lumber place not too far away where I can get 1/4" Spanish Cedar to line the trunk.

Welcome from Maryland.

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas.

Welcome from the UK
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

bigpoppapuff Guest

welcome.....where in wheatfield??...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    welcome.....where in wheatfield??...
    Off of Ward Rd North of the Blvd.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hello from MS
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

welcome.

There was a thread just the other day discussing this online retailer who sells spanish cedar at a decient price, and other thread about turning a trunk into a humi.

As for seasoning the trunk, just put a bowl of distilled water in it and close the top for a few days, up to to a week, keep checking the humidity as you go so you don't get two high.

Then, once it is seasoned, you will need to know the approx. sq. feet of space in the trunk to determine the right about of beads (viper can help with that) or if you need a larger oasis machine or what not.

Here is the online retailer I found for Spanish Cedar (also happens to be a 20 minute drive)

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=832

bigpoppapuff Guest

i'm gonna guess you buy your cigars from smokin' joe's......pm me your ##...we'll have to herf...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Hello from MS
    Wow, Chris, 1000 posts! Gotta be some kind of speed record...now that you've hit the big 1k you can quit holding back so much and speak freely!

Oh, and, welcome from MT!
    Last edited by heftysmokes; 02-28-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot to say "hi"

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmokes View Post
    Wow, Chris, 1000 posts! Gotta be some kind of speed record...now that you've hit the big 1k you can quit holding back so much and speak freely!

what do i win?

I got a 1000 post contest coming up tonite!
    I have been holding back. Is it that obvious?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I spent 3 weeks in the Sheraton in Billings when I was installing an oxygen plant in Columbus.

Killed a LOT of brain cells in a sports bar across the street.
    Remember a great Prime Rib on Fridays nearby.
    Drank a lot of single malt at the Montana Brew Co.

Oh, I hear you can Moose Drool in a bottle now! I have to find a way to get me some!!

Welcome SC

Welcome from the other side of the country, Seattle, WA!
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    i'm gonna guess you buy your cigars from smokin' joe's......pm me your ##...we'll have to herf...
    Sid, that was my first exact thought. I love that place

I'm on the road a lot but I am trying to get down Buffalo way again so we definately need a HERF again soon. Shame last time was too hectic for you and Bluesman but I'm sure we'll pull it off! Seems to be a few more people on here in your area as well as mine.

And welcome to CS 19redwings!

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

john51277 Guest

Welcome to the Best damn forum, from Florida!!

Welcome from Utah.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

welcome from southeast iowa

Blog Entries

Welcome to CSmokers!

Thread Information