Thread: SMALL humidor

Exclamation SMALL humidor

Hey guys, gotta quick question for ya.

I have a nice, small box that I was given for Christmas one year. I'm not really sure what its purpose in life was, but I want to turn it into a humidor. It could probably hold about 20 cigars and would be perfect when I'm trying to show off. Can I get some advice on how to make this transformation? What kind of humidification device should I use for that small of a box? I'm just not quite sure how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
    Wanna-be beach bum.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
    “Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.”
    - A VERY wise man from Mississippi

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord, for thee..."

Its going to have to be air tight before it will be useful as a humidor.
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
    Hey guys, gotta quick question for ya.

I have a nice, small box that I was given for Christmas one year. I'm not really sure what its purpose in life was, but I want to turn it into a humidor. It could probably hold about 20 cigars and would be perfect when I'm trying to show off. Can I get some advice on how to make this transformation? What kind of humidification device should I use for that small of a box? I'm just not quite sure how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
    does the box have a pretty good seal on it? try the dollar test. close a dollar in the lid and slide it out, it should have some resistance. You can also get weather stripping to help make a better seal. I just bought some at Walmart 2 days ago. Goes for about $3 for two long rolls.

as far as humidification device, just get some beads. i would suggest just getting them in the tubes since it's such a small box.
    www.heartfeltindustries.com
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

It closes pretty damn tight, but im not sure if its air tight. Any way to check? Or how could I make it airtight? I just think it would look cool. If its not worth my time or money, tell me cause I don't wanna waste either.

Thanks,
    Wayne

EDIT: Guess I'm late on this post...
    Wanna-be beach bum.

“Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.”

OK, there is resistance on the dollar on the sides, but not so much on the front??

Kinda strange. Should it still work with the weather stripping?

Wayne
    Wanna-be beach bum.

Take a really bright flashlight, close it in the box and turn the lights out so the room is completely dark. Does any light leak out? If so then the box is probably not right for the job.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

OK, there is resistance on the dollar on the sides, but not so much on the front??

Kinda strange. Should it still work with the weather stripping?

Wayne
    should work ok. do you have a hygrometer?
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

stjohnroe: yea, there was some light. Not a lot though...

chefchris: OK. souds good. I was just gonna check to see if it would work then go buy one from walmart probably. Why?

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Wanna-be beach bum.

take a picture of it. I want to see it.

stjohnroe: yea, there was some light. Not a lot though...

chefchris: OK. souds good. I was just gonna check to see if it would work then go buy one from walmart probably. Why?

Thanks,
    Wayne

just to make sure you had a good seal in there before tossing your sticks in. you going with the beads?

bigsmoke Guest

Maybe slip some of the cedar that comes in cigar boxes in there too. Just so you have some cedar scent in case the box has some other odors.

Yea, I think I'm gonna go with the beads. Should I just get the .5 70%? And for guado, long story short, no digital camera (has to do with a crazed pet dog). But, when I get around to buying another one, I will post pictures of it. By then it should be up and running...

Thanks for all the help,
    Wayne
    Wanna-be beach bum.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    Maybe slip some of the cedar that comes in cigar boxes in there too. Just so you have some cedar scent in case the box has some other odors.
    That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that as well.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Wanna-be beach bum.

Yea, I think I'm gonna go with the beads. Should I just get the .5 70%? And for guado, long story short, no digital camera (has to do with a crazed pet dog). But, when I get around to buying another one, I will post pictures of it. By then it should be up and running...

Thanks for all the help,
    Wayne
    How Much Will I Need?

and I would go with 65%.

bigsmoke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    How Much Will I Need?

and I would go with 65%.
    That 4 ounce tube would work real good. But you might not need quite that much. I find with humidification it is better to have more than enough than not enough.

Thread Information