Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-offensive cigar? Any?

1. Default Non-offensive cigar? Any?

Hello Everyone,

As a newcomer to the world of cigar smoking I have had a great time trying many different types; fine tuning my likes and dislikes. One issue I would like to discuss here is smoking around non-smokers and their reaction to the smoke.

We often entertain and as the night winds down I and a friend or two will be outside enjoying a cigar. The reaction to the smell of the smoke by the non-smokers is rather negative. Since I am the one smoking, I don't notice and probably should not care. But I do.

Question is this. Are there any quality cigars (not flavored or infused) that are not offensive to non-smokers or is that just a 'pipe dream'?
    Last edited by sidesmoker; 03-05-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Interesting question. I doubt it.
    Since you are new here how about you give us a intro, a little info on who you are the kind of smokes you enjoy... I know myself and the others like to know who we are talking too.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

3. Default

I can respect the wishes of others indoors and not smoke cigars but I take no shit from any person about me smoking outdoors
    The older I get ,the better I was

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I can respect the wishes of others indoors and not smoke cigars but I take no shit from any person about me smoking outdoors
    What Kevin said.

Quote Originally Posted by sidesmoker View Post

We often entertain ...

If it's your place, like it sounds, then they can deal with it. I had a apartment full of straight edge kids the other day (don't drink or smoke) and you would be amazed at how clowdy my apartment gets. None of them said a word because it's my place and I do what I want. They respect it. I had a girl one time complain about something in my apartment. I didn't even know her. She got the appropriate lashing.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I am sure this is not what you are looking for but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. Of course I have never had these

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/jotspitoci.html

I would echo the comments of the others here. It is your place and you are hosting (aka paying for the food, drink etc.) so do what you want.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

7. Default

By outdoors I mean my backyard patio and the smoke can easily find it's way into the house. My guests are friends and family and as a host I do not like to offend. This does not mean I stop smoking, just wondering if there are some cigars that are less offensive. This may be a issue of the type or quality of the cigar. Has anyone received a positive reaction from a non-smoker?

So far, the cigars I have enjoyed the most was the HDM Excalibur (maduro and natural), the Oliva G series maduro and the El Rey Del Mundo Robusto, also maduro. I did buy a mild sampler pack from CI, but did not care for them.

On deck, waiting in the humidor is the Excalibur Dark Night, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Fonseca Vintage and 5 Vegas Alpha.

Ones that I have my eye on to buy next is the La Gloria Torpedo Maduro and the CAO Brazillia.

I have also tried different drinks with the cigar and find that it make a huge difference. I had a coffee with the Excalibur Maduro and that was just perfect.

First thing's first - I agree with earlier posters. You're outside and it's your house. Let them adjust to you.

Secondly ... my wife isn't a fan of the odor, and I find that she finds the odor of milder cigars to be less objectionable. It's when I smoke something really full-bodied that she really turns her nose up.

But the simple fact is that someone who doesn't enjoy smoking isn't going to enjoy the smell of smoke. There's no cigar that's going to change that.

I echo what has already been said. When I go to someone's house who does not smoke, I don't smoke. I respect the host/hostess will not do something in "their area" that they may not feel comfortable. However when those same people come to "my area" I don't hesitate a second to do what I enjoy, which sometimes looks like this: or , actually sometimes it looks like this also and but only when I am in my "devil went down to Georgia" mood
    Last edited by The Korean; 03-05-2007 at 08:57 PM.

oops

good luck finding a "Non-offensive cigar" with no smoke smell.

Even the sweetest smelling cigar will be offensive to someone who is against "smoking."

I'm with K7 on this one, I have also had shit from non-smokers who decide to frequent the smoking areas in pubs (and a long time ago on trains), my response has generally been to tell them to fuck off to the non-smoking section where I won't be bothering them.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

My house, my rules and since I'm outside in my backyard screw anybody who disagrees. Point is you are entitled to a little happiness yourself and there aren't a whole lot of things more relaxing then good quality cigar. Cigars are a part of you now, they help make up who you are, if the people at your place don't likeit tell them to piss off, or hey offer them a try of one of your cigars maybe you'll convert them.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Try a pipe. Even the natural stuff, like Dunhill night cap, smells nice. (One of my Favs. btw)

Ones that I have my eye on to buy next is the La Gloria Torpedo Maduro and the CAO Brazillia.
    CAO Brazilia is a great stick, i think you'll enjoy it

as for your question.... i'll echo what all the others have said, its not your problem if its your house

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

If it really bothers your friends and family, i suggest you get what i got for my mother. I got her a Lampe Berger. http://www.lampeberger.com/catalog.aspx

They helps cover up the smell, although it will not get rid of the smoke completely. Although i smoke outside, the smoke still is able to get outside, so she has one right by the door, and one in the living room, It is able to mask the smell enough that my family can deal with it.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

18. Default

I'm a bit surprised by most of the responses. The issue is not dealing with non-smokers in public places. I am asking for recommendations on cigars that have a more pleasing aroma. Even though I am a beginner to the smoking end of a cigar I have been around enough cigar smokers in my past to tell that there are both awful smelling and more pleasant cigar smoke.

Picture this. You have 15 different brands of cigars and you want to take some to a friends home where there will be an outdoor gathering. If you know that you could bring along some cigars that are more pleasing to the non-smokers, would you do it?

I did some searching and discovered a cigar that reviewers commented on the more pleasing aroma of the smoke: Cusano 18 Paired Maduro. Perhaps it's because of the Brazilian Mata Fina?

Damn straight, I don't really give a wet rats fart if I'm smoking outdoors.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sidesmoker View Post
    I am asking for recommendations on cigars that have a more pleasing aroma.
    Cigar smoke smells like cigar smoke. Some people like that smell. In fact, I'd say 99% of the people on this board like that smell. Others don't. But in the end, cigar smoke smells like cigar smoke.

You've had recommendations. As I posted earlier, mild cigars tend to have a less pronouced odor. Their smoke still smells like cigar smoke, though. If you're looking for a cigar whose smoke will be music to the noses of your friends and family who don't like the smell of cigar smoke, you're fooling yourself. If they don't like the smell, changing brands isn't going to suddenly make them start liking it.

This is what a lot of folks have been saying. Love it or hate it, cigars smell like cigars.

Thread Information