Thread: Cigars and Politics

Blog Entries

Default Cigars and Politics

It looks like the California Democrats want to shut down Arnold's famed smoking tent. A bill is making its way through the legislature baning smoking in enclosed courtyards of state buildings.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...-1n13tent.html

ridiculous
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I loved the last line of the article. I guess the legislators foprgot he has the power to veto the bill when it gets to his desk. The Democrats do not have enough votes to over ride his veto either.

SFG75 Guest

The fact that he and his political opponents got along so well before this, and the fact that they would vie to be in the tent with him, is testimony of the fact that it isn't a matter of health, as it is a matter of personal bitterness. Most things like that typically are in politics.

This Vargas character is a hoot to watch complain. It's entertaining to see a good fourth of July "blow-up" like his

"A cigar is simply a cigarette on steroids. It's just as bad. It causes cancer," said Vargas, who said he has never been in the tent. "I do think the example he sets is a poor one."
    Ignoring politics, I'm amazed at how cigars can just bring out the most base feelings in people.

Last year, anti-smoking activists protested the tent outside the Capitol, carrying photographs of well-known smokers who have died and a headstone labeled "Your Name Here."
    At leat herfing makes for great friends and discussion-even in politics.

Despite the controversies, she said, the tan-colored tent, equipped with a heater and a fan, has played a key role in deal-making at the Capitol.

This week, Schwarzenegger and state Sen. Gloria Romero, D-Los Angeles, credited the tent with providing a friendly atmosphere for working out the details of a bipartisan prison reorganization plan. They believe the plan could fix the state's troubled prison system.
    It's all very sad and pathetic, but at least he'll veto it. I think the truly sad thing is that there isn't a large enough problem in California that merits attention over the governor and his cigar habit.

Blog Entries

Last year, anti-smoking activists protested the tent outside the Capitol, carrying photographs of well-known smokers who have died and a headstone labeled "Your Name Here."
    I wonder if George Burns made the posters....

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    I wonder if George Burns made the posters....

I can find pictures of joggers who have died. I can also find pictures of vegetarians who have died- SFW!!!!.

Iced T Guest

I seem to remember a more specific complaint to the Guv'na when he first took office...

Anti-Smoking Lobby: "Uh, we know you like cigars and stuff, and you're real macho, but we need you to stop. Mmm kay?"

Arnold: "No."

I think the truly sad thing is that there isn't a large enough problem in California that merits attention over the governor and his cigar habit.
    Actually, the legislature has yet to agree on a budget for the next fiscal year which begins in a couple of weeks (like they have failed every other year). State agencies, contractors, and vendors do not get paid until a budget is approved (but legislators continue to get their salaries).

Lawmakers apparently would rather spend their time moving bogus bills like this one through the mill. That is why I am in agreement with some who have suggested California go to part time legislators. They seem to have too much idle time to really accomplsh anything. This has also led to the special election this fall that was announced yesterday which will waste millions more dollars to do work that legislators have ben paid to do and have not finished.

Once again the California political circus goes on . . .

Michael

(P.S. I sure wouldn't mind having a stogie in the tent with Arnold )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iced T
    I seem to remember a more specific complaint to the Guv'na when he first took office...

Anti-Smoking Lobby: "Uh, we know you like cigars and stuff, and you're real macho, but we need you to stop. Mmm kay?"

Arnold: "No."

LMAO!!!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yarimurray
    Actually, the legislature has yet to agree on a budget for the next fiscal year which begins in a couple of weeks (like they have failed every other year). State agencies, contractors, and vendors do not get paid until a budget is approved (but legislators continue to get their salaries).

Lawmakers apparently would rather spend their time moving bogus bills like this one through the mill. That is why I am in agreement with some who have suggested California go to part time legislators. They seem to have too much idle time to really accomplsh anything. This has also led to the special election this fall that was announced yesterday which will waste millions more dollars to do work that legislators have ben paid to do and have not finished.

Once again the California political circus goes on . . .

Michael

(P.S. I sure wouldn't mind having a stogie in the tent with Arnold )
    Another post I totally agree with!!!

Same thing happens in Connecticut and probably in most other states in the country as well. This year the do-gooders in Connecticut (who think there's some huge pressing problem with obesity among school children or whatever..... ) spent weeks debating a "School nutrition" bill which essentially bans vending machines in schools. As Michael said, you'd think they have more important things to work on.

State Representative Michael Caron dubbed this the "No Child Left With a Big Behind" bill
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

10. Default

do children these days have no self control, just because theres food available doesnt mean you have to go all out with it. polotics of all forms are getting out of control, theres on rule that applies to everycase that I agree with. in this case it would also help us cigar enthusiasts. "your rights end where others rights begin".

K&P

Thread Information