Thread: Digital Hygrometer Question

Default Digital Hygrometer Question

So I've had my digital hygrometer in the calibration bag since last night. It's only reading 71%. Should it be that far off from the factory? It's a good thing I used the calibration kit b/c right on the bag it said should be ready to use out of the box.

Give it another 12 hours to be on the safe side. Mine was off by 3 from the vendor.

-Chad
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

hell, mine is 6... right on 6, it reads it constant, just always 6 below.

holy shit, make sure you follow the salt test instructions from the herfers guide to calibrate these things... I did the salt test twice and both times i got a 6 off reading, but i struck me as odd when i calibrated a second hydrometer and it read 6-7 off as well... plus, i noticed my RP i smoked earlier was a little dry... went back and followed the exact instructions to calibrate and the damn thing is only 1% off... somehow my careless calibrations gave me a horribly wrong result.

What calibration kit are you using?

no kit, just following guidlines...

Blog Entries

8. Default

I just had a similiar problem. My new hygrometer was 6 off after 24 hours. I left it in for another 16 hours and it was 3 off. I am using the Humidpak one step calibration kit.

Good luck and patience is key here.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    no kit, just following guidlines...
    There is your most likely problem. Go ahead and spend a few bucks on the Boveda calibration kit here, or somewhere else like ebay: http://www.tampahumidor.com/sitedire...52F3553826957F

i think i'm going to order one even though i'm getting better results with the herfers guide method.

mine is off by around 10% but after the salt test i just keep that in mind when i use it.
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

I have tested many hygrometers using the boveda calibration kit. The record for inaccuracy so far is 13% low and that was a hygrometer that cost roughly $100. Do not trust any hygrometer out of the box, check it with the salt test or the boveda for at least 24-48 hours.

oh, i just ordered a boveda kit from heartfelt.. next time i think i'll just order one of those heartfelt ajustable hydrometers that comes with a kit.

So after 5 days of having the humidifier (sponge) out, my humidor is STILL reading 71% humidity and its almost always a constant 70 degrees.

Does something not sound right or did I just have the humidity way too high and the cedar is still just moist?

Seems like after 5 days the humidity would be lower than that.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Being warm all year around, is there a lot of humidity in Florida? Where is your humidor located? Near a window, direct sunlight, in the closet, etc? Go get some beads and do not add distilled water when you put it in your humidor. If it is above 71% humidity in there already, the beads will soak up excess humidity. IF your humidity still stays the same, then it's your hygrometer that has issues.

Andrew

Yeah its REAL humid here in the summer, not too bad right now though. The humidor is not near any windows or ever in any sunlight. It's stored on my computer desk. I'm going to get the beads, just wondering how after 5 days the humidity hasn't changed.

When you take out your hygrometer does the 71% go down at all? I know my humidity goes down really fast once I leave my humidor open for a few seconds (especially when it's winter time and it's really dry).

If it's really humid down there, your humidor (if not completely sealed, and leaks just a little bit) will soak in excess humidity from the area it's located. So, if you reseasoned it while the humidity outside is significantly high, your humidifier would not be able to soak up all that humidity. When you get the beads, don't put any distilled water, see if it'll soak up the excess humidity that's currently in your humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    When you take out your hygrometer does the 71% go down at all? I know my humidity goes down really fast once I leave my humidor open for a few seconds (especially when it's winter time and it's really dry).

If it's really humid down there, your humidor (if not completely sealed, and leaks just a little bit) will soak in excess humidity from the area it's located. So, if you reseasoned it while the humidity outside is significantly high, your humidifier would not be able to soak up all that humidity. When you get the beads, don't put any distilled water, see if it'll soak up the excess humidity that's currently in your humidor.
    Yes, if I take it out it drops down into the low 60's. That's why I'm saying it's pretty crazy that inside the humidor is still in the low 70's after 5 days with no humidification. Guess that's just the way it is and I'll get the beads.

Wheatfield, NY (Suburbs of Buffalo/Niagara Falls)

I have taken to doing the salt test (be it the actual test or the kit) with everything in the humidor. Stabilization occurs much quicker and, with the dryness here, I was always coming up low ~ 3-4% until I started doing the test in the humidor.

I have two of the adjustables. One in my coolidor w/70% beads, one in my humidor with Oasis at 65%. I can swap hygrometers and they both equilibrate to the new location.

Thread Information