Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle owners???

If all you bike owners haven't seen last night's (11/04/09) South Park, head over to southpark.com to watch. HI-larious. As much as I love motorcycles, esp. Harley's, Parker and Stone have this right.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Last night's SP was dead on, I loved it.

Also, nice Victory.

OK - which one of you guys taped the animal rights activist to the tree??

http://glossynews.com/society/201001...orcycle-rally/

Blog Entries

“They peed on me!!!” charged one activist. “They grabbed me, said I looked like I was French, started calling me ‘La Trene’, and duct taped me to a tree so they could pee on me all day!”

“I…I was trying to show my outrage at a man with a heavy leather jacket, and he…he didn’t even care. I called him a murderer, and all he said was, ‘You can’t prove that.’ Next thing I know he forced me to ride on the back of his motorcycle all day, and would not let me off, because his girl friend was out of town and I was almost a woman.”

Still others claimed they were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs under duress. Those who resisted were allegedly held down while several bikers “farted on their heads.”

lmfao That is great.

"“That’s just our secret handshake,” assured the organizer."

Blog Entries

Bringing this old thread back up.

So I have been REALLY thinking / researching taking the plunge and buying my first motorcycle. I have always enjoyed riding eventhough it was a rare ocassion with friends who let me ride their bikes for while.

This last Sunday, my wife gave me a "day off" to do whatever the hell I wanted to as part of my birthday celebration. I went scuba diving, shooting, and riding with a friend. He let me borrow his bike (this is not his but its the same model):

I was HOOKED once again. Eventhough I enjoyed the ride, I am dead set on getting a cruiser as opposed to a crotch-rocket. This weekend I am going to do some hands on scouting of different dealerships and look at bikes. The wife has been hard to convince but I keep telling her it will be my "congratulations on getting your Masters" gift to myself.

Possible purchases:

Suzuki Boulevard
    Honda Shadow Aero
    Yamaha V-Star

Any advice/comments that anyone can offer I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Nelson

Blog Entries

What's wrong with a crotch rocket?

my VTR Superhawk

Are you looking new or used?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    What's wrong with a crotch rocket?
    Are you looking new or used?
    Nothing wrong at all. I enjoy riding them, but I want something more comfortable for long rides in Texas. It would also be more comfortable for my wife.

I was thinking of getting a used bike to get started. If i decide to upgrade later, I'll get a new one.

Thats a nice bike you got there!

Blog Entries

Thanks. I always felt like used was the way to go myself. Have you checked out the Yamaha Warrior? A friend of mine has one ( the midnight warrior) and it is a beaut, fast as hell and pretty comfy too, I think they're somewhat reasonably priced too, maybe around the 7k mark.
    Last edited by Tdre977; 03-31-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Got the price wrong

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Nothing wrong at all. I enjoy riding them, but I want something more comfortable for long rides in Texas. It would also be more comfortable for my wife.

I was thinking of getting a used bike to get started. If i decide to upgrade later, I'll get a new one.

Thats a nice bike you got there!
    Get a used Harley that some RUB (Rich Urban Biker) couldn't afford. That'd be my advice.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Come to the dark side Nelson.

What you need and really want is a 1200cc street legal dirt bike. BMW hp2 enduro.
    You don't want to be just another dentist/lawyer on a big cruiser get a bike that no one in their right mind would ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClDiCbBwk54
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Well I used to ride two wheels but haven't in a long time. I've got sitting in storage (a friend has it) an early 1970's AMF Harley-Davidson X90 with less than 1000 miles on it. Once I got too big for it I switched to an almost new 1983 Honda TRX-200 in 1987 (it had less than 50 hours on it). I passed it on to my grandfather and he loves it; changes the oil and a spark plug once a year, and uses the front rack to visit his friends in the neighborhood with a gallon jug of martini's.

I'm looking at getting a couple four-wheelers this summer, depending on what kind of deals I can find.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Come to the dark side Nelson.

What you need and really want is a 1200cc street legal dirt bike. BMW hp2 enduro.
    You don't want to be just another dentist/lawyer on a big cruiser get a bike that no one in their right mind would ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClDiCbBwk54
    I'm afraid of the dark

Then i take it suggesting a any of the super moto's is totaly out of the question
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 04-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Harley.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeMan View Post
    Harley.
    Ehhh, Harleys are nice and all, but they cant hold a candle to the reliability and power of a jap bike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    Ehhh, Harleys are nice and all, but they cant hold a candle to the reliability and power of a jap bike.
    I don't own any Harleys.

That said, Harley has come a LONG way in the past several decades from the AMF years (where they got that stigma of always breaking down & marking their spot) as far as reliability.

Power? Well, there's different ways to look at that, and as far as I'm concerned, even my buddy's '84 CM400T is going to beat a Viper out of the gate. I don't need 140 horsepower at the rear wheel on a 600pound piece of machinery.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Nice to hear everyone's opinion. I went over to a local dealer today to look at some bikes in person. Spend about an hour there and man...those sales guys are freakin pushy!!!!

At one point I had to tell the dude "Can I just look at some bikes in peace? If so, I will take one home TODAY!". Of course he left and I was able to narrow down my choices to the following:

Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Honda Shadow Spirit 750

On my way to the door I saw that prick and said "Happy April Fools" . I felt kind of a prick but he deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Nice to hear everyone's opinion. I went over to a local dealer today to look at some bikes in person. Spend about an hour there and man...those sales guys are freakin pushy!!!!

At one point I had to tell the dude "Can I just look at some bikes in peace? If so, I will take one home TODAY!". Of course he left and I was able to narrow down my choices to the following:

Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Honda Shadow Spirit 750

On my way to the door I saw that prick and said "Happy April Fools" . I felt kind of a prick but he deserved it.
    I have to say that is fucking awesome. Well played.
    Last edited by dr. cox; 04-01-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

Blog Entries

Harley is all about torque and comfort (of course the sportsters are not as comfy as the touring class). That being said, a tricked sportster 1200 can light up the drag strip. Reliability, as Will mentioned, is a totally new ball game from years past. The warranty, especially the VIP, is unreal on a Harley these days. In two years I have not spent a dime on anything for my Wide Glide except gas and chrome... it covers everything, oil changes on up. I am not sure of the warranty on the rice burners but you can't beat the warranty on a Harley with a stick. Once you take a cruise on a HOG you will be hooked. Now the decision has to be this Nelson... Do you want to race from redlight to redlight? If so get a rice burner. If you want to cruise in comfort and have some serious torque and get from point A to point B in style, get a HOG. (The Honda Goldwing is an exception IMHO) I personally would never purchase anything other than a Harley. At the very least go ahead and get your motorcycle endorsement and test ride different manufacturers before you take the plunge. I would even advise you to rent different ones for the day. That is really the only way you can know you made the right choice for you and that is what matters.

Last edited by EdgeMan; 04-01-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Thread Information