Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle owners???

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to disagree with you Edge. Harley's are great for cruising long distances if you like your balls to be rattled numb. Most of the Japanese bikes are way smoother from my experience. They have similar styling, and the Honda shadow 750 has the same amount of torque as the Harley, but with an extra 20 HP. Not to mention they are far less expensive. Don't get me wrong, Harleys are alright. I am still have a 1200 Nightster in the running for my next bike, but the Japanese bikes are a much better value.

2. Default

I love the fake 1% rs and then they drive a Tundra
    The older I get ,the better I was

I have a 2002 Volusia Intruder, which was the original name of the bike when it was released in 2001. In 2005 they renamed it the Boulevard C50. I have had it for 3 years and have been very happy with it, except for the seat. I don't know if the C50 comes with a different seat, but the stock seat sucks. Have you test ridden either bike?

In my experience, and from talking to quite a few others, most stock seats suck. The only way to actually get a decent stock seat is to buy a bike designed specifically to tour. As far as what bike to get all bikes rock, all bikes have positives and negatives. That said I have a 06 Honda Sabre 1100 and love the hell out of it. Wouldn't trade it for a Harley of similar size in a million years, may buy Harley if I go to a bigger bike but that is doubtful as well.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

I respect everyone's opinion. As you can see Nelson you will get may different answers due to personal tastes. I owned a Buell (harleys crotch rocket) and it had the same stance and ride (leaning over the tank and fast as hell) as a crotch rocket but that in itself hurt my balls before I ever left the driveway. It was just uncomfortable to me, very. On the other hand most of the jap manufacturers have copied the harley stance and look (Honda Shadow is one) through the years so maybe that is the answer for you. Plus the fact that they are less expensive than a Harley. Again, test riding several is the way to go. A salesman, of all people, told me something that might be worth mentioning... You should be able to go out in your garage and LOVE your bike before you ever get on it.

Good luck and have fun!

Donald

PS: And yes, most stock seats suck for the long haul. Also think of storage or the ability to add storage later because sooner or later you are going to get pissed if you don't have some kind of storage. And wearing a backpack is just lame (sorry backpackers it's just my opinion and we know what those are like =).
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 04-02-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: stock seats suck, storage
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

6. Default

The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback, it is definately taken into consideration. My whole idea is to have a comfortable bike that I will enjoy riding through the Texas hillcountry. I had to go to home depot today out in the bulverde area (north of san antonio) and it was a beautiful drive. I had flashes of me in a motorcycle and i think I wet myself. lol

As I got home, I took the wife out to a dealership to see some bikes in order to get her opinion. Without saying anything, I showed her the 3 models I was interested in and she was leaning more towards the Suzuki Boulevard C50 (my top choice ) so in that sense its all looking pretty promising.

We hoped on it and she was able to get a feel for the seat with the backrest (as it is something I have to get for her). As far as storage, its a must. I need a place to put some stuff cause you never know what you might find out on the road (as well as a change of clothes in case its an overnight trip.

So for now, my job is to take the motorcycle safety course and get my license endorsement. Those 2 will happen this month. The bike itself I might be purchasing sometime in June / July as a "congrats on your masters" present to myself. In the meantime, I will rent a C50 for a day and take it out to see how it rides on the open road. Maybe a few others as well.

The bike I get will definately be a used bike as I do not want to splurge so much on my first bike. Besides, I won't be using it everyday. Coming across a deal might be hard and I might not be able to find it in San Antonio so all surrounding cities (Austin, Houston, Dallas) are fair game.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress!

Blog Entries

Me and edge may have disagreed on the Harley Vs. Import question, but I 100% agree, storage is something I envy every day, I once rented a street glide to go from Miami to Key West and back for 10 days and loved every second of storage that bike offered.

Blog Entries

Forgot to add pics.....

Blog Entries

Default Street Glide!

More than likely going to be my next bike.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...#/model/flhxse
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Indeed it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

I loved that street glide!

Blog Entries

Default Update

Well, I took the MSF course this past weekend and it was simply awesome. Passed the theory exam with a score of 96 and a perfect score on the riding skills portion . I know that really means squat when you are actually out there riding on the road but I felt pretty good.

I will be going over to the DPS office on wednesday to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license. Come May 1, I get to pick up my new ride 133 miles from here! Can hardly wait

Blog Entries

Congrats on passing the course. You were one of the lucky ones who got into it during the spring before the temps really rose. What bike are you getting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Congrats on passing the course. You were one of the lucky ones who got into it during the spring before the temps really rose. What bike are you getting?
    Suzuki Boulevard C50

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Well, I took the MSF course this past weekend and it was simply awesome. Passed the theory exam with a score of 96 and a perfect score on the riding skills portion . I know that really means squat when you are actually out there riding on the road but I felt pretty good.

I will be going over to the DPS office on Wednesday to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license. Come May 1, I get to pick up my new ride 133 miles from here! Can hardly wait
    Congrats bro! 133 miles is a nice 1st ride to get acquainted with your new toy.

Just ordered so aftermarket pipes. DG Roadburner double eagles. Very excited.
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    Just ordered so aftermarket pipes. DG Roadburner double eagles. Very excited.
    Ill race you, it has a aftermarket pipes and a aftermarket carburetor

Yea i do ride it when i ride with the wife in the trails. she has a 110cc.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Sweet dude, my dad has one of those. The bike I learned on. He doesn't want anything else now. Rides it around town. It's cool, 60 year old man riding around town in bib overalls on a trail 70. I keep telling him I am going to restore it for him but he tells me it is original and he like it the way it is.
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

Just remember 60 is the new forty.....

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Thread Information