Thread: When to start from scratch?

Default When to start from scratch?

I'm a newbie to humidor ownership and this forum. I got my humidor about 2 months ago and followed the set-up instructions exactly (lightly wet wood with distilled water, put wet sponge on plastic bag in overnight, etc.). Since then, I have had two hockey-puck style humidors grow mold on me. The first time I thought was because I had the humidor on a shelf too close to a light bulb making it too warm, so I moved it. Now, I have no clue why it molded again.

I caught both molding incidents early on, and removed the humidifier. This second time, some mold got onto the wood under the humidifier (which was attached to the top of the humidor). I wiped the small amoung of mold off the wood with a paper towel moistened with distilled water, but I'm wondering if that is enough. Can I move forward and switch to the crystal-style humidifying devices I've read about in other posts? Or should I stop, clean all inner surfaces with rubbing alcohol, and start over? Please help soon as I'm getting married on June 25th and was hoping to have the humidifier ready for all the cigars needed to help celebrate the occassion (and for those I plan to bring back from the honeymoon).

Thanks!

Do you have a digital hygrometer? I would get one. I am finding no need to add water to my humidor at all lately. It's the mild weather I suppose. The hygrometer has been reading a steady 74%.... So you may already be in the range you want. Mold grows at 80% + humidity.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Yes, I have a digital hydrometer. I does usually stay at around 70-75 with or without the humidifier. I'll go for a bit without the humidifier in it. Do I need to worry about the small amount of mold that got on the wood under the old humidifier? Like I said, I wiped it off with a paper towel (dampened with distilled water), and dried the area...is that good enough?

Thanks!

Like Roham said...... sounds like you have too much humidity. It also sounds like you have a really tight sealing humidor. First you need to SALT TEST your hygrometer, your hygrometer could be off so you are not getting a correct reading. CLICK HERE

I believe you may have ruined the Credo with mold the first time, that's why he mold came back. It was probably still on the Credo. You might need to either open it up and clean it well or throw it away and by something else. I would not recommend the Crystals but BEADS work really well and alot of people use them. You can get them here..... CLICK HERE.

After you have Salt Tested the Hygrometer, put it in your humidor with nothing else, the wood might be saturated and unable to absorb anymore water. The way I stay away from mold growth is by using 65% Beads and keeping my humidor at 63% - 65%.... Stick smoke really well at that RH..... If you find you need to bring the RH up, cut a small sponge (anti-bacterial, if you can). Cut it into about a one-inch sqaure and use distilled water. That's what I use when I need to bring th RH up in my 54 Qt cooler.

PS..... Congrats on th Wedding

5. Default

The best thing you could do is to smash the hell out of that humidor with a sledge hammer. Stay away from cigars!!! They soon consume every thought in your head. They also suck your wallet dry. If you are not excessive-compulsive now, you soon will be. Be afraid...Very afraid.

Bkcloud114-

I'll get right on that salt test and see if some local smoke shops carry the beads.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    The best thing you could do is to smash the hell out of that humidor with a sledge hammer. Stay away from cigars!!! They soon consume every thought in your head. They also suck your wallet dry. If you are not excessive-compulsive now, you soon will be. Be afraid...Very afraid.
    Damn..... wish you would have given me that advice 9 months ago.......

Default In addition.....

I've seen many inexpensive humidors using laminates (glossy wood finish) on the interior of the humidor in certain areas such as the holder or surround of the puck and hygro. This can be bad news. Let me explain.

ONE of the reasons that cedar is a preferred liner for a humidor is because it is naturally mold repellent to a degree.

Many inexpensive humidor manufacturers use laminates, particle board, composites etc. to cut corners on costs. These materials can be very susceptible to mold growth if used on the interior of the humidor.

In my green years I had an economy humidor grow mold on the glossy surface where the lid met the lower portion. The edge had been finished with a laminate when it should not have been so it grew mold at higher rh's.

Take a look at the area that the mold started on behind the puck. Is it unfinished cedar or glossy laminate or something else?

Using a humidifier solution of 50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol will also prevent mold in the puck. You can buy the solution premade at most cigar shops or blend your own. Any decent drug store will sell you "pg". They will most likely have to order it for you. It's fairly inexpensive. The "pg" will also help stabilize your humidor's rh. It may be easier for you to buy the premixed solution at a cigar shop though.

If you shop for another humidor, make sure any enclosed surface is natural, unfinished spanish cedar or mahogany. It doesn't mean you have to spend alot of money to get one like that. Just smart, observant shopping.

Another reason could be that the material in the puck is not suitable for humidor use. It should be Oasis or "florist foam". It's that funky green stuff. Like a dense, fine textured styro-foamy material that gives way very easily with finger pressure. Be sure that you use the "wet type" as there is a "dry type" that is for artificial flowers. The dry type will not retain water.

If you want to try to reuse your puck and you can REMOVE THE MATERIAL INSIDE AND REPLACE IT WITH NEW FOAM and the puck is made of plastic, you can clean it with rubbing alcohol. It will kill any mold spores for sure. BE SURE TO LET IT AIR OUT COMPLETELY BEFORE REUSING AND DON'T LET THE NEW FOAM CONTACT ANY ALCOHOL!!!! DO NOT USE ALCOHOL ON YOUR HUMIDOR!!!!

Good luck and good smokes!

Thread Information