Thread: The "great mystery" cigar review

SFG75 Guest

Default The "great mystery" cigar review

Jason(Jaewing, a.k.a.-Jaewon ) was a great guy and sent me three unbanded cigars to do a taste test on. I've smoked two of them(of the same kind) and here's what I found. I'll edit this post to critique the third cigar later.

Unbanded #1 & 2-the larger cigars in the baggie of the same brand, they appear to be naturals of some kind.

Appearance and Construction
    10 of 15

-Possessed black, pock-marks across the smooth, brown wrapper. I won't deduct a lot of points as these have probably done some traveling.

Flavor
    22 of 25 points

Smooth, nutty flavor with notes of cocoa. This would make an excellent breakfast cigar in the morning. I'd say that it's a mild cigar, even unto the very end.

Smoking Characteristics
    25 of 25

-#1 had some problems in terms of lighting, though #2 lit evenly and burned consistently well to the very end. The latter cigar also gave off a lot of smoke and had a pure white ash, though aesthetically pleasing....means nothing.

-The draw on the first one was very stiff, though noticably better on cigar #2

Overall Impression

33 of 35 possible 100 points

#2 was perhaps the better cigar of the two, and perhaps the one that I should make a judgment on. For a mild cigar, it was very pleasant and the after-taste is something everyone will savor.

Overall rating: 90

-I would surmise that this cigar is not an ISOM.

Cigar #3(to be reviewed at a later time)

Default So did you look?

Did you open the envelope yet?

Actually now that I think about it I goofed and put both of the bands (from the two different cigars I sent without bands) in that envelope. Soooooooo . . . you cannot open it until you smoke the smaller "maduro" stick so as not to spoil the next review.

Glad you enjoyed them. You will be suprised to see what they are.

This is fun we should start this as a trend here.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Did you open the envelope yet?

Actually now that I think about it I goofed and put both of the bands (from the two different cigars I sent without bands) in that envelope. Soooooooo . . . you cannot open it until you smoke the smaller "maduro" stick so as not to spoil the next review.

Glad you enjoyed them. You will be suprised to see what they are.

This is fun we should start this as a trend here.
    Nope, haven't opened up the envelope yet. I will smoke the smaller stick tonight. It's a dark looking maduro wrapper-should be interesting. Am I right to guess that the larger oens are not ISOMs?

Default Yes

You are correct that they are not from the ISOM . . . actually far from it.

I look forward to your review of the other. It is just too bad that was my last one or I would have sent you two for a better review.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    You are correct that they are not from the ISOM . . . actually far from it.

- Jason
    Figured as much, ISOMs leave a toasty after taste in my mouth. I have yet to have one that didn't have that characteristic. Will post later tonight about the smaller cigar. Heading out the door now......

SFG75 Guest

Appearance & Construction:
    15 of 15
    *Excellent draw
    *Flawless, glossy wrapper
    *Clean cut, no unraveling or anything like that

Flavor:
    20 of 25
    *Heavy spiciness in the beginning, a good assault on one's tongue and mouth in general.
    *3/4ths the way down-mellows out into a rich, almost buttery taste

Smoking characteristics:
    24 of 25
    *Nice, even burn
    *moderate smoke output
    *Nice smooth feel to it, no "bumpy" veins to skip your fingers over.

Overall Impression:
    30 of 35
    *Hearty, after dinner cigar to grab your taste buds by the collar
    *Reminds me very much of a Te-Amo. There must be some serious spicy leaf in this one. It's a very coarse and rugged tasting cigar like the Te-Amo. NOt a lot of flavor, but lots of character.
    *After taste reminds me of what lingers after you smoke a Partagas black or CAO MX2. This is a decent maduro.

Overall rating: 89

What cigars were these??????

The light, natural cigars were the Thompson Phoenix series.

The dark maduro was an Olor Fuerte!.

Wow, if what the country needs is a good seventy cent cigar, I think I found it in the Thompson Phoenix. Good thing it was an unbanded review, I don't know if I would've smoked it otherwise. Guess that I found a diamond in the rough here.

Thanks a million Jaewing!.

Very nice reviews.

I was glad to see that you liked the Thompsons. I was not overly impressed at first but they have improved with time in my humi. I may give them another go in a week or so. My intention in sending you the Thompsons was not to shovel bad cigars your way (those of course were not the only cigars I sent ) but to get an unbias and honest review.

The Olor Fuerte impressed me as well. Not sure where that comes from . . . I got it as a 4 pack with a Xikar cutter for $30.

I have other cigars of various qualities (based on popular magazines and opinions) that I would be like to send to other members here. If anyone would like to trade cigars in this way (with bands removed and sealed in an envelope) I think this would be a great way to try/review cigars without the colorful bands and brand names clouding our perspective.

Any takers are welcome to PM me and we can trade addresses.

- Jason

SFG75 Guest

Just got the Thompson magazine the other day. What has caught my eye, especially after actually trying the cigar-is ordering 4 bundles of 25 for $59.00. Now I have to decide if I want the Indian Tabacs or the Phoenix......oh the decisions one must make in this life!.

9. Default

I wonder what kind of labels were on those mystery cigars before they were removed? Were they gold or silver?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    I wonder what kind of labels were on those mystery cigars before they were removed? Were they gold or silver?
    wait, i thought the gold doesn't exist. i'm confused.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    wait, i thought the gold doesn't exist. i'm confused.
    Well, unless the word "silver" is in in the title, then it's the other one ya newbie.
    :smart@$$: :FU:

Thread Information