Thread: School paper on cigars

Default School paper on cigars

Hey guys,
    I have to do a paper and presentation for my ethnobotany class (The plant lore and agricultural customs of a people). So I'm going to do tobacco, focusing on cigars.
    I'll pretty much be talking about the history of tobacco and then cigars and try to talk about some facts about cigars that the average non smoker wouldn't know. I was wondering if anyone had some recommended readings on the subject or any other ideas of what to talk about?

2. Default

I wish you luck man. As bad as Canada is about collecting duties don't be suprised if they impose a tax on your paper. If you lived in some whacko state such as Kalifornia,New Dork,Taxachusets,and many others ect ect you would prolly be jailed for shedding positive light on anything tobacco related. Good luck bro.

Kevin
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I wish you luck man. As bad as Canada is about collecting duties don't be suprised if they impose a tax on your paper. If you lived in some whacko state such as Kalifornia,New Dork,Taxachusets,and many others ect ect you would prolly be jailed for shedding positive light on anything tobacco related. Good luck bro.

Kevin
    Hahaha, if thats the case maybe I'll just change my topic.

Don't change the topic. Just sell them on the history, the time honored traditions etc.

The history and talent that goes into growing and rolling Cigars is what got me into it. I was fascinated by cigars and the history so much I wanted to smoke them! haha

Go for it!

Just write a good one though.

Make us proud! Because you will need to post it up here to let us read it! ;)

I am going to stick with the topic. It'll be fun doing the research since I don't know much about it. I'll post the paper once It's done.

Make sure you teacher is not anti smoking too...lol

Otherwise post up your tid bits of info on here on your main topics etc. You have a wealth of information to be had and some of us could probably help steer you to more information if needed.

No my profs pretty cool, he doessn't really care about anything, as long as we have an interesting presentation.

I love wikipedia for this type of stuff, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar, but there has been some interesting debate around referencing wikipedia as there is no governance over the data or who can publish. You may wish to talk with your teacher about whether this is an accepted practice in the class or not. If nothing else, wikipedia can provide as a launching point for finding published material and help narrow your topics.

Good luck,
    -Chad
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

Yeah, most profs I've talked to don't like to use Wikipeia as a reference. But you're right it is a good starting point to use to find other ideas and references.

As a general reference that wiki page isn't bad.

Blog Entries

Hex's site has some good information

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

The best article I have ever seen on the subject is entitled either, "Black Tobacco" or "Dark Tobacco" (the tobacco used in producingcigars) was recently featured in Cigar Magazine. I've seen copies of that issue recently at JR Cigars, so they would probably have the back issue in their place - you might want to give them a call.

I'm not sure I've seen it publically posted anywhere...

Here is some info for you - hope it helps.

http://www.embacubalebanon.com/tobaco.html

http://www.photius.com/countries/dom...ash_crops.html

http://www.guerrillero.co.cu/sitiota...dades_ingl.htm

Thanks for the help guys/gal.

Thread Information