Thread: zippos any good?

Default zippos any good?

now i use matches, but i'd like to have a nice zippo. first off, would a zippo really change the taste of a cigar? second, do they evaporate fast like the cheaper versions do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    now i use matches, but i'd like to have a nice zippo. first off, would a zippo really change the taste of a cigar? second, do they evaporate fast like the cheaper versions do?
    I use them all the time. You fill them and they last for a few weeks, less in the summer when the temperature is warmer.

There are those who swear up and down that it ruins the taste of their cigar but I maintain that is an urban legend.

I've done a little experiment on people who swear they can tell the difference but when we actually make them light their cigars blindly, they have NEVER been able to tell the difference. It's all in their heads.

Now again, there are those out there who think I'm full-o-crap for saying this but I'd like them to to the "Zippo Challenge" someday because I'd bet some cigars they cannot tell the difference.

According to Zippo, if you keep it lit for a few seconds before lighting your cigar all the harmful fumes that MAY be there will burn away.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

4. Default

I think it's just as easy to buy a good butane lighter. You can also ensure with butane that you get a much more even burn as the gas burns powerfully in a straight line. Also, the smell that Zippo's give out is like the oil fields of Kuait!!

I prefer to use a Zippo whenever I can. Never had any taste difference from the fluid. A Zippo is hard to use if you are outside, that's why I bought one of those cheap torch lighters ($2) works better than any expensive one. I have found that the fluid does evaporate quickly, so I bought on of these.... Zippo

Hey CC..... I'll take you up on that challenge...... you supply the cigars and I'll bring the lighters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    I prefer to use a Zippo whenever I can. Never had any taste difference from the fluid. A Zippo is hard to use if you are outside, that's why I bought one of those cheap torch lighters ($2) works better than any expensive one. I have found that the fluid does evaporate quickly, so I bought on of these.... Zippo

Hey CC..... I'll take you up on that challenge...... you supply the cigars and I'll bring the lighters
    LOL, sure next Palmer's Herf

i'm looking to get a zippo soon also. a stand at the mall sells them, and they will refill the fluid each time i go back. sounded like a good deal.

I have two zippos that I use, but honestly, i prefer a pocket torch over any other alternative.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

i got a torch lighter, i tried it once, and i didnt like it, maybe cuz the flame is pretty long on it, i like my matches, but just dont work out on the course on those windy days

yea...the better ones have adjustable flames though.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

I have always used a Zippo and I love mine (even outdoors in the wind, just a little tricky ). I have also heard of a butane insert that fits into the Zippo case (look here).

I just let the lighter burn a bit before lighting the cigar as mentioned earlier and then I blow out through the cigar once it's lit and I've noticed no problems with taste.

Just my .02

Michael

anyone know how much faster the lighter emties with one of those attachments? they seem like a nice addition to keep your lighter and have it windproof.

13. Default

I have myself a really good double flame lighter. It's part of the ritual for me to have a good lighter, cutter and a crystal ashtry when I smoke. Somehow it makes the smoke taste better.

14. Default

when my dad use to smoke ciggerates <--- not sure if i spelt that right he always used zippo lighters he always enjoyed those type of lighters

15. Default

Hey, I'm new to the forum but my local tobaccanist has an insert that converts your gas zippo into a butane torch. Costs $13.75.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynmoon
    Hey, I'm new to the forum but my local tobaccanist has an insert that converts your gas zippo into a butane torch. Costs $13.75.
    If ya like butane, then I've heard these work well. I'm not a big butane lighter fan because it seems that I have to fill them too often which is a pain in the ass because you have to wait five minutes for the fluid to "stabalize" before you can use the lighter. I'm too impatient, I wanna light my cigar NOW and I think Zippos are easier to refill in their conventional configuration. I get a heck of a lot of mileage out of a bottle of regular ole lighter fluid. I keep a small one in the glove box in case my Zippo runs out. Ya oughta see me driving down the road, smoking a cigar AND refilling my Zippo at the same time
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

CC, if your ever in San Antonio, I'm driving!!!

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grand cru no 2
    CC, if your ever in San Antonio, I'm driving!!!
    LMAO It's even MORE of a challenge when I'm driving my old BMW which is a five speed Left knee on the wheel, can't use the clutch so the only alternative is to "power shift" (no clutch).
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

If you like Zippos but don't like using lighter fluid units with cigars (I don't), get a Thunderbird lighter from Vector KGM. These lighters look and operate just like Zippos; however, they use butane and produce a soft flame like a Zippo. They also use the same flint system. They are guaranteed for life and come in a variety of finishes. I've been using one for a while and love the thing. It works flawlessly each and every time and the flame can be adjusted to the perfect height for firing up a cigar. Best of all, the lighter only costs $15.00. Take it as a suggestion.

Thread Information