Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My one year anniversary contest

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by boomshay View Post
    smoked anything good lately shelby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post

Yeah... I did.
    LOL, probably a set of tires or 2!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    LOL, probably a set of tires or 2!!!
    LOL!

Actually, the only challenge I've gotten so far was some guy in a Dodge Hemi Pickup. I have no idea what he might have been thinking. Didn't even have to smoke the tires.

Yeah... I did.
    since you were so vague in your first response, care to elaborate on some of the good sticks you've smoked lately?

since you were so vague in your first response, care to elaborate on some of the good sticks you've smoked lately?
    OK - let' see

The ones I remember in the past week or so...

DC Stanford's 90th Cameroon
    Master Blends II
    Illusione' 68
    Don Pipen Black
    Torano Tribute 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    OK - let' see

The ones I remember in the past week or so...

DC Stanford's 90th Cameroon
    Master Blends II
    Illusione' 68
    Don Pipen Black
    Torano Tribute 2004
    I am curious what is that cigar

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan View Post
    I am curious what is that cigar
    That'd be the little teeny tiny one with the white band. I think you'll like it!

no posts today so far shelby? i'll see what i can do about that...

i've got a question about flying... my dad used to have his pilots license for small planes... he hasn't flown in years, how long is he legal to fly without renewing something? and what would he have to do to go about renewing it since i'm assuming its long past expired

no posts today so far shelby? i'll see what i can do about that...

i've got a question about flying... my dad used to have his pilots license for small planes... he hasn't flown in years, how long is he legal to fly without renewing something? and what would he have to do to go about renewing it since i'm assuming its long past expired
    Actually, his license and all ratings are still good. If he is over 40 years old he needs to get a 3rd class medical every 2 years and a biannual flight review. Once he does that he is good to go.

The medical is easy. usually about 90 bucks and about 30 minutes with an AME (a doctor certified by the FAA.) The BFR will be a bit harder. He can take it with any CFI, but the CFI needs to be satisfied that he is proficient and safe. Once that happens the CFI simply endourses his log book (he does have his log book, right?) and he is good to go. Depending on how long he has been out of it that can take anywhere from 7-8 hours to 20 or so, but nowhere near the effort it takes to get a rating in the first place. If he had his Instrument rating there are minimum proficiency requirements that he must pass with a CFII and a certain number of instrument approaches and procedures that he has to have logged in the past 6 months.

The bottom line is his ratings are still good. He just needs to get current. There is also something called personal limits that we taught. That is where a pilot may be certified and legal, but they need to know what their personal limitations are. For example, If your dad gets current then doesn't fly for 6 months or so, the FAA says he's legal, but he's probably not current enough to go up alone. There are also personal limitations that need to be taken into account for weather, night flying, mountain flying, etc. They are all things that a good instructor will cover with your dad during the BFR.

A gift certificate for a couple of hours of aircraft rental and instruction towards his currency would be a great gift for any occasion. Take a ride to your local airport and talk to some folks at the flight schools there.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 04-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.

thanks for the info, that was a lot more detailed than i was expecting

i used to love it when he flew, it was cool to see the area from above, but he completely lost interest... he hasn't talked about it for years, he's still got all his old headsets and a briefcase full of stuff... i would guess flightplans and whatever else he needs

i'll look into the gift certificate thing but i'm going to assume it won't happen... he abandons hobbies and never looks back, its happened more than once

Flying is one of those things that get into your blood. Many people drop it for one reason or another, but they never lose their love of it. I would say that it's worth a shot. Just make sure you can get your money back if he decides not to use it... or you may want to try it yourself.

i was thinking about getting into flying for awhile, i think i could've started when i turned 16 with all the lessons and stuff but once my dad lost interest i lost mine as well

i was thinking about getting into flying for awhile, i think i could've started when i turned 16 with all the lessons and stuff but once my dad lost interest i lost mine as well
    Actually, you can start no matter how old you are. You can't solo until you are 16 and you must be 17 to obtain a raiting. But here is no age limit on how old you need to be to log dual instruction time. I had a kid who started logging time at 14 years old. His plan was to proceed slowly and be ready to solo on his 16th birthday. Then they would use the year to prepare for their practical on his 17th birthday. We had logged dual time (which counted toward a rating) with kids as young as 8. The only requirement is that they are able to reach the controls and see over the dashpad.

wow that's impressive, i can't say i would've trusted myself at that young of an age, i also can't imagine soloing at 16... i had just started driving a car by myself haha

Geez Boomer... I have 3 more days to go. who woulda thought

my mother always said to not count the chickens before they hatch (actually she never said that, i don't live on a farm)... but i suppose i can say its looking solid... just don't freeze up on me now

Well, you've been persistant... gotta give you that!

Well, you've been persistant... gotta give you that!

During the month of April any and all attempts to affect my post count will be acceptable, so keep this in mind as you fine-tune your guesses. Ask me questions, post anything that might prompt me to post, or whatever you think will work to your advantage. Now, I might or might not answer or post depending on my availability, but I will attempt to play the game to the best of my ability.
    its the name of the game

WHoooooooo!!! Shelby, slow it down, you're playing right into booms hands... i know its alot to ask, but lay low for a while, just for a few days... go on a relaxing trip to the countryside where theres no technology and no internet... come back this weekend and let us know how it was... lets just get one more post telling us what your plans are for your 4 day vacation...

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    WHoooooooo!!! Shelby, slow it down, you're playing right into booms hands... i know its alot to ask, but lay low for a while, just for a few days... go on a relaxing trip to the countryside where theres no technology and no internet... come back this weekend and let us know how it was... lets just get one more post telling us what your plans are for your 4 day vacation...
    Might be a little too late for that, ReV - I kinda think Boomer might have it tied up. But... ya never know...

1 more shelby... do you have any suggestions on what i should ask as the final question?

Thread Information