Thread: Vintage cigars

1. Default Vintage cigars

Hi (again),

I asked a question this morning about ageing cigars and the (possible) similarity with wine. This has now led to this question which I am currentlly puzzling over instead of doing what I should be doing namely: work.

Are there, as with wine, good years and bad years for cigars? In other words do certain years stand out as exceptionaly good / or bad in the cigar world?

Should the statement: " I've just smoked a Partagas 1997" for example be welcomed by:

A) A nod and a smile of understanding by the connaisseur
    B) Be met with a shrug of the shoulder and a "Well, year, Partagas are nice but they are always nice and a 98 no less or more than a 97 if only for the fact that the latter is one year older"
    C) Whatever dude, I only smoke Malboro lights.

Your views please?

2. Default

Most cigars cigars improve with age...some more than others. Most domestics are ready to smoke when you get em. Cubans need to rest several years if they are recent production. all cigars change in time.

The best thing to do is buy a box and smoke one immediately. If it's not to your liking, let them rest. Smoke one every six months or so. When you think they have peaked burn em up.

I've got several cigars ten plus years old. They still change every time I smoke one.

Blog Entries

I dunno sarge, my favorite Havanas are from '04, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I have found that quite a few Havanas from the 1998 - 2000 years have a higher chance of quality problems, rolled too tightly and are therefore plugged.

Unlike wine where grapes from different years taste differently, cigars age as a function of time so if you like the taste of aged cigars, the older the better but again certain people tend to avoid certain years based on quality problems they have either heard about of experienced first hand.

I've never heard that tobacco from a certain year tastes better than from other years (like wine)

4. Default

I've smoked some VR Famosos from 2004 that were excellent. I have some Monte #2s 2003 that were excellent before they went into their sick period.

Letting em rest for awhile takes some of the bite out of newer rolled Cubans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    I've smoked some VR Famosos from 2004 that were excellent. I have some Monte #2s 2003 that were excellent before they went into their sick period.

OH BABY I LOVE "THE BITE"

You know me Sarge, my favorite Quinteros are usually only two months old

Being new to the cigar world I have researched and listened in order to become familiar with all of the interesting facts about them.

I have been told and have read in a couple places that tobacco, like wine grapes, are very much affected by many things and quality may change from year to year. So like wine, cigars may have "good years" and "bad years" depending on growing conditions and weather.

Personally, however, I have not experienced this myself. I have had good cigars and bad cigars but never paid much attention to the year the tobacco was harvested.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

7. Default

You gotta smoke them ASAP. If they are dry, which never happens to my cigars, put them in the humidor. Or store them there until you smoke them. Don't wait it out, smoke them while they're fresh. Brugal Anejo neat is great with a Montecristo.

sick period? i don't understand.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    sick period? i don't understand.

When Cuban cigars age they go into a period from six months to a couple of years that they taste like crap...totally unsmokeable. I don't know why this happens. I do know after this period they become smokable and really start to mellow.

So if a cigar is labeled "Vintage", does that mean that is the actual year it was produced? For example, as I am writing this, I am looking at a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 on top of my humi. Was this cigar made in 1990?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon
    So if a cigar is labeled "Vintage", does that mean that is the actual year it was produced? For example, as I am writing this, I am looking at a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 on top of my humi. Was this cigar made in 1990?

No, that's just a model name so to speak. I think they claim that the wrapper leaf is from that year but it is NOT an indication of when the cigars were manufactured. Here's the description from the Famous-Smoke site:

Now you can smoke all-vintage all the time! Made in 5 shapes, Vintage By Rocky Patel cigars have just about everything the serious cigar smoker wants in luxury cigars: gorgeous wrappers, rich, complex taste and inviting aroma. Using 7 year-aged Dominican & Nicaraguan tobaccos, the Maduro cigars are vintage 1990 Honduran Broadleaf; mellow and well-balanced. The vintage '92 Sumatra-wrapper cigars are spicier and fuller in body. Either way, you can't miss. Try a box and step-up to some truly extraordinary cigars.
    Here's the description from CigarsInternational:

Rocky Patel - of Indian Tabac fame - has crafted a masterpiece with his 93-rated Vintage Series.

Offered in 2 styles, Vintage 1990 and Vintage 1992. With each, the wrapper tobaccos are the key - in fact they are incredible. Let me explain:

- Vintage 1990 is a blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan Ligero draped in a tantalizing natural Broadleaf wrapper from Honduras. It's medium-bodied with a really enjoyable, complex smooth-rich flavor.

- Vintage 1992 offers the identical fillers and binder as the 1990, with the variation being very dark 10 year old Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. It's medium-bodied with a creamy, nutty, and full flavor.

Okay, I understand now. Thanks CC.

Thread Information