Thread: Need some Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If hell arrives on Earth, it will be the I-10.

Default Need some Advice

Thanks to my neighbor's considerate chopping of the tree in between our fence, the sun now bares down on my house like a pissed off Apollo. Come summer, not even my closet will be safe enough to put my humidor in. Short of long term central A/C, what sort of thing can I do to keep my sticks safe?
    A good book, a cigar, and a nice tall glass of STFU.

... move them to the other side of the house? Get black out curtains... oooh build a giant privacy fence to absorb the heat... install working shutters... put your humidor in a plastic bag and put that in an ice chest full of ice or the fridge... install an AC window unit into your closet door and keep it in the closet. hmm, i'm just coming up with these off the top of my head, i'm no expert... well, i kinda am an expert on heat, living in Mobile and all, we just have central AC and that keeps everything in the shade nice and cool. But a coolidor should stay significantly cooler than its surrounding temp... so that may be an option... I personally like the closet AC idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
    Thanks to my neighbor's considerate chopping of the tree in between our fence, the sun now bares down on my house like a pissed off Apollo. Come summer, not even my closet will be safe enough to put my humidor in. Short of long term central A/C, what sort of thing can I do to keep my sticks safe?
    Was the tree on his property? On the property line? Or on your property? Why did he cut it down? From a legal standpoint it makes a huge difference.

I know this is no help to your immediate concerns but being an attorney I had to ask.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Do you have a basement? How about a small room with a door on it and a small efficient window air conditioner? You can store your smokes and your wines, if you have any, in there.

Plant a tree on your side of the fence, or build something the wife would like that has the added benefit of shading that side of the house. Porch maybe?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    Plant a tree on your side of the fence, or build something the wife would like that has the added benefit of shading that side of the house. Porch maybe?

It'll take at least 20 years for the tree to ammount to anything of shade value and I highly doubt building any kind of structure is a viable option either.

The basement idea is probably the best.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing View Post
    Was the tree on his property? On the property line? Or on your property? Why did he cut it down? From a legal standpoint it makes a huge difference.

I know this is no help to your immediate concerns but being an attorney I had to ask.

- Jason
    The tree was integrated into the fence, with the root on my side and the rest on his. You should see how pretty a stump look on the side of my house. My neighbor's not a bad sort of guy, so this is less an issue with him and more an issue with global warming.

Nope, no basement. I like the coolidor with AC idea...if I can find a small enough Ac for the closet. Any chance there is a self cooling cooler?

maybe one of those mini fridges set on the warmest setting... might be colder then you want tho.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Take a look at this post. It might give you some ideas. I think the higher temps would not cause the inside to dry out and beads will do an adequate job of keeping the unit humidified.

Thread Information