Thread: Otter box question

Default Otter box question

I recent bought a cigar caddy - holds 5 cigars. I added a few drops of water to the little humidifier in there and I can't get the RH to a reasonable level. Its at 78% now.
    Any suggestions?

I don't ever put water in there. it is such a tight seal you're pretty much good to go IMO if you keep away from extreme temps. Otherwise put a small pack of beads in there.

Cool thanks. I guess the smokes wouldn't be in there too long anyways.

I got a two cigar box from K7 on a trade. I love the thing I only put cigars in it for the day, and if I don't smoke them I put them back in the humi. I've never had a drying out problem and I never put any humidification in it.

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    I don't ever put water in there. it is such a tight seal you're pretty much good to go IMO if you keep away from extreme temps. Otherwise put a small pack of beads in there.
    Your cigars can last a week in there without anything. These are so air tight you realy dont need anything.

Most of the time if you use something it just makes the cigars to wet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rpb67 View Post
    Your cigars can last a week in there without anything. These are so air tight you realy dont need anything.

Most of the time if you use something it just makes the cigars to wet.
    Heck, they can last a couple of weeks or a couple of months without anything depending on the ambient RH.

I usually just keep my cigars in ziplock bags in the glove compartment of my car which has even less space than an otter box. I've stored cigars like that for weeks at a time and never had a problem.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Heck, they can last a couple of weeks or a couple of months without anything depending on the ambient RH.

I usually just keep my cigars in ziplock bags in the glove compartment of my car which has even less space than an otter box. I've stored cigars like that for weeks at a time and never had a problem.
    Not in FL

I just got back from a trip with my 15 ct Otterbox Cigar Caddy. That thing kept an incredible seal with pressure change and I had to use a key to get it open.

But regardless of my praise of this thing, I use the Boveda humidipak to hold the RH. Those things work well, and in such a small space, can never fail. Otherwise you could always put some heartfelt beads in a small baggie or something.
    When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.

If I have room, I try to keep a water pillow in my otterbox. Keeps things good as far as I can tell.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Default Porta-Humis

I was thinking the same thing last night when i went to my local "spirit"/b&m. I always buy those pillows when im there but they are pretty useless without some "distilled" water ! So next time, ill either bring a pre-wet pillow with me or carry a small cooler with beads It gets very hot here in Texas and you never know if your going to need to stop off somewhere else before you can get home (i live pretty far from the spirit store)

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    I recent bought a cigar caddy - holds 5 cigars. I added a few drops of water to the little humidifier in there and I can't get the RH to a reasonable level. Its at 78% now.
    Any suggestions?
    Use a 50/50 solution instead of straight water, that should mellow out the RH.

-Chad
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

I've never used a 50/50 solution before. Is it suposed to hold a specific rh?

Yeah, it is supposed to hold right at 70.

Does it work well? As well as beads?

Simply put, No.

I attempted this method for a long time, and would not trust it. It is better than plain distilled water in a sponge, but it cannot compare to the reliability of the heartfelt beads in my experience.

A little 50/50 does not hurt in conjunction with the beads however, as it acts as a pretty good anti-fungal in the humidor.

Interesting about the antifungal properties. Thanks for the info.

Never used the beads, but I would reccomend them from everything I've read on here. I have used 50/50 in my 48 quart coolerdor for years and no complaints. I set the thing up and have gone without recharging for years at a time. Bought the PG at the drugstore and mixed it up - no complaints. I do live in a fairly humid climate a few blocks from the ocean in the southeast.

Thread Information