Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some Advice

If hell arrives on Earth, it will be the I-10.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    hmm... i was just thinking you could get one big enough to put your desktop humi inside... but yeah, check out those specs, see what the warmest temp they'll keep is and if they'll hold an rh without drying it... either way i'd ask the Home depot guys a million questions before buying one... but let me know if it works out that way, might be something to look into.
    Nothing was stocked at the HomeDepot near me. The ideal humidity for wine is between 60-70, so with the help of beads, it shouldn't be a problem. Any cellar/cooler that specifically states Red wine would be perfect, since it's kept at up to 65 degrees. So the plan now is to find a place that sell these locally, since shipping from E-tailers would kill me.
    A good book, a cigar, and a nice tall glass of STFU.

really? my home depot has em.. i wouldn't know where else to look... lowes maybe?

Default cooling off that closet

Ok, after thinking about this since the begining of your post i finally think i have found the solution since ive been wondering about how to keep my coolidor @ 70 degs here in Texas in the summer. Its so simple (well almost) to "break" into an exsisting "duct" with "flex duct" available nearly any hardware store, lowes, home depot, ace..If you want to cool off your closet, find the A/C ductwork in your attic leading into that room, measure how far the run to the closet is from the a/c vent that cools that room is...or the "trunkline" then buy the smallest diameter flex duct & a vent (with an adjustment for flow) that gets cut into the ceiling of your closet & the other end cutting into either the "trunkline" or the duct that goes into that room !
    I had the same issue with another house i had where we converted the garage into a laundry/workshop room but it was very hot and used this method & it worked great ! Its not as hard as it seems...You Can Do It !

I don't believe he has central A/C - which is the crux of the problem.

Default Opps

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I don't believe he has central A/C - which is the crux of the problem.
    Dang ! I guess i didnt notice that , i thought about that long and hard too !

A Monday stroll thru the local Sears revealed this gem:

how much did that set you back?

and hey, if this cigar thing doesn't work out ... you can't always store popsicles in there.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Kenmore 24 blt wine cooler, close out for $99. Has a bit less then 4000 cu. in. of space, which hopefully translate to 300+ cigars. Hope this works out as a humi, or else I'll be force to buy more wine.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    how much did that set you back?

and hey, if this cigar thing doesn't work out ... you can't always store popsicles in there.
    Salesperson made it very clear this thing can't even cool a beer cold enough. So cigar, wine, or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
    Salesperson made it very clear this thing can't even cool a beer cold enough. So cigar, wine, or bust.
    I hope it works out for you, but keep the receipt just in case. Those coolers usually have fans that exchange a lot of air, and they run pretty often. If that's the case then your humidifier may not be able to keep up with it.

Good luck.

i'd be interested in hearing how your rh tests go... let us know if that thing will hold a charge at all... and also what temp it'll keep.

I'm definently interested in hearing how this works as well...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Default Very Interesting

Wow, that brings a whole new meaning to a "Coolidor" !! That thing is awesome looking ! Display case 2007 ! Get another one that Does cool beer, sitting side by side & you could invite all of us over ! J/K. I'd be interested in how much wattage it pulls..I have one of those "Killawatt" devices that shows how many watt's, amps, volts, kwph, that any electric device pulls (fridge, computer, fan, etc.). After seeing that though i'm not sure if i cared !! Im very interested in what your able to get it to level out at as far as temp/rh goes, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I hope it works out for you, but keep the receipt just in case. Those coolers usually have fans that exchange a lot of air, and they run pretty often. If that's the case then your humidifier may not be able to keep up with it.

Good luck.
    Kenmore might be the only one that still uses refrigeration in their wine cooler/cellar. Most wine coolers uses a peltier with a internal fan. To the best of my knowledge, neither one exchanges air with the outside, and more or less circulates air within the unit. Which is also a boon for a coolidor.

I'm cleaning it out, airing out the funk, and I'll post as soon as I know how this thing goes.

You can search frigidor, fridgidor and fridgedor (seems to be no concensus on the spelling) and find tons of info about doing what you are doing.

Small update. Unfortunately, the unit does not hold humidity as well as I hoped. The compression cycle just sucks out all the water in the air, albeit not on often. I am stuck with a coolidor for now. I'll be hoping a thermoelectric wine cooler will fall on my lap sometime between now and june.

On the plus side, my father is ecstatic that he has more room to put his wine.

as a rule most refridge type devices are very dry..
    'I,m better for having known you"

I was thinking since a wine cooler runs very infrequently, I could get away with it.

http://www.spiralcellars.com/us/index.html

I have always wanted one of these
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information