Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Advice

If hell arrives on Earth, it will be the I-10.

Default Need some Advice

Thanks to my neighbor's considerate chopping of the tree in between our fence, the sun now bares down on my house like a pissed off Apollo. Come summer, not even my closet will be safe enough to put my humidor in. Short of long term central A/C, what sort of thing can I do to keep my sticks safe?
    A good book, a cigar, and a nice tall glass of STFU.

... move them to the other side of the house? Get black out curtains... oooh build a giant privacy fence to absorb the heat... install working shutters... put your humidor in a plastic bag and put that in an ice chest full of ice or the fridge... install an AC window unit into your closet door and keep it in the closet. hmm, i'm just coming up with these off the top of my head, i'm no expert... well, i kinda am an expert on heat, living in Mobile and all, we just have central AC and that keeps everything in the shade nice and cool. But a coolidor should stay significantly cooler than its surrounding temp... so that may be an option... I personally like the closet AC idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
    Thanks to my neighbor's considerate chopping of the tree in between our fence, the sun now bares down on my house like a pissed off Apollo. Come summer, not even my closet will be safe enough to put my humidor in. Short of long term central A/C, what sort of thing can I do to keep my sticks safe?
    Was the tree on his property? On the property line? Or on your property? Why did he cut it down? From a legal standpoint it makes a huge difference.

I know this is no help to your immediate concerns but being an attorney I had to ask.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Do you have a basement? How about a small room with a door on it and a small efficient window air conditioner? You can store your smokes and your wines, if you have any, in there.

Plant a tree on your side of the fence, or build something the wife would like that has the added benefit of shading that side of the house. Porch maybe?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    Plant a tree on your side of the fence, or build something the wife would like that has the added benefit of shading that side of the house. Porch maybe?

It'll take at least 20 years for the tree to ammount to anything of shade value and I highly doubt building any kind of structure is a viable option either.

The basement idea is probably the best.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing View Post
    Was the tree on his property? On the property line? Or on your property? Why did he cut it down? From a legal standpoint it makes a huge difference.

I know this is no help to your immediate concerns but being an attorney I had to ask.

- Jason
    The tree was integrated into the fence, with the root on my side and the rest on his. You should see how pretty a stump look on the side of my house. My neighbor's not a bad sort of guy, so this is less an issue with him and more an issue with global warming.

Nope, no basement. I like the coolidor with AC idea...if I can find a small enough Ac for the closet. Any chance there is a self cooling cooler?

maybe one of those mini fridges set on the warmest setting... might be colder then you want tho.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Take a look at this post. It might give you some ideas. I think the higher temps would not cause the inside to dry out and beads will do an adequate job of keeping the unit humidified.

Shelby's wine comment go me thinking... for a little cash, they sell mini wise cellar devices, kinda like a mini fridge only not as cold... that'd regulate a good temp... like this

...damn, doesn't look like it'll take you right to it, but click the link and look for 'wine coolers/cellars' ... I'm not sure what range temp they keep, but they say ajustable.

Blog Entries

When a cigar is in a glass tube does that help keep it at the right smoking consistency, or are the cedar tubes better? I am adding to this: I am asking this because sometimes I have come across people trying to get rid of glass tubes their cigars came in and I am thinking why aren't they using it for a different cigar? Would it help Al if his cigars were in tubes in the humidor?
    Last edited by cinda; 04-03-2007 at 05:25 PM.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    When a cigar is in a glass tube does that help keep it at the right smoking consistency, or are the cedar tubes better? I am adding to this: I am asking this because sometimes I have come across people trying to get rid of glass tubes their cigars came in and I am thinking why aren't they using it for a different cigar? Would it help Al if his cigars were in tubes in the humidor?
    A glass tube won't help regulate temperature and it doesn't really do too much for anything else other than protect the cigar wrapper. It won't do much of anything for smokability.

Of course, it might contain the beetles for a while

Grinella - stop it. You're killing me!!!

It keeps it level longer than if it were by itself, but it will eventually equalize with its surrounding rh... but whats all that got to do with the temp problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    It keeps it level longer than if it were by itself, but it will eventually equalize with its surrounding rh... but whats all that got to do with the temp problem?
    I was wondering if putting cigars in a glass tube would be beneficial, not that I thought it would end his problem. I have always had a curiosity about class tubed cigars and the reason behind people not recycling those tubes. I felt it could be answered within this thread without creating a new thread and I suppose I did get my answer. Thank you so much for your response and caring enough to add your concerns about it's proper placement.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

now if you could find some efficient way to seal the tubes, cinda, you could probably use them as a substitute to a plastic bag...

and i wasn't making that comment to question placement, just to say i didn't think it would solve Al's problem as you had suggested it might.
    Last edited by ReV; 04-04-2007 at 12:01 AM.

I had no idea homedepot sold wine cellars/coolers, Rev. I'm going to see if I can pick one up suitable for cigars, assuming wine coolers are also capable of keeping humidity constant. But any "self cooling" products should be good at isolating external elements.

hmm... i was just thinking you could get one big enough to put your desktop humi inside... but yeah, check out those specs, see what the warmest temp they'll keep is and if they'll hold an rh without drying it... either way i'd ask the Home depot guys a million questions before buying one... but let me know if it works out that way, might be something to look into.

Try a sizzleen screen in the back yard where the tree used to be for some shade. You could even get the camo ones and no one would even be able to see it.

Thread Information