Thread: I'm going to have a custom humidor made

Default I'm going to have a custom humidor made

I'm going to have a custom humidor made by one of my carpenters in the next week or two. It's going to be pretty much made like this: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...NITUREHUMIDORS

Anyone know of any good sources to buy spanish cedar online? I bought spanish cedar online a few years ago cut to my desired lengths in 1/8", 1/4", and 3/4" thicknesses around 10 years ago, but don't seem to be turning up a source for buying it like this now.

Any suggestions?

try looking up some info on Luan wood. i've read that it has some of the same characteristics as cedar, but is cheaper.

just a suggestion.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

there are a couple of links to good sources in some threads, give the search function a whirl. It should pull them up for you.

tHIS IS WHERE I GOT MINE SPANISH CEDAR

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    try looking up some info on Luan wood. i've read that it has some of the same characteristics as cedar, but is cheaper.

just a suggestion.
    I think that you are talking about 1/4 sheet goods with a veneer of whatever on one side. Think 1/4 inch plywood or mdf with a finished side of oak, birch, vinyl, etc. veneer. Oh Yeah, maybe consider a glass panel door so you can oogle without opening if it's not going to also serve as a furniture piece.
    Last edited by pub spears; 04-13-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Oh Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    tHIS IS WHERE I GOT MINE SPANISH CEDAR
    Those prices seem really steep.

Quote Originally Posted by forgop View Post
    Those prices seem really steep.

Yea a bit high. If you can find a local place, you can get rough stock and do all the work yourself. Much cheaper then. What I got was 7-7.5"wide 8' long boards, plained to a 1/4" and jointed on one edge

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    Yea a bit high. If you can find a local place, you can get rough stock and do all the work yourself. Much cheaper then. What I got was 7-7.5"wide 8' long boards, plained to a 1/4" and jointed on one edge
    I remember a few years ago when I bought it, I bought everything planed to 1/8", 1/4", and 3/4" as I was going to make a humidor out of 100% spanish cedar. Seems to me that I got 5' lenghts and I think the 3/4" was 18" wide. Seems like I got all of that for not that much more than what was listed on that site. Sure wish I could remember what site that was though.

Thread Information