Thread: Graduating

Default Graduating

hey all. im new to this thread but im excited to learn a lot from everyone and some just cigar type convo. but in a month, may 20th actually, my friends and i will be graduating from Quinnipiac University and we are looking for some real, classy, great cigars to smoke on that special day, some of us are getting some good jobs and others (like myself) will be attending grad school in the fall. so we are looking for something we will remember and will pretty much sum up of college career. ne suggestions? hope to hear them and get a taste of them.

yea ive smoked cigars before. Padron 2000 and 3000 maduro. Padron anniv. Romeo. there is a great place by me on LI that makes a good cigar. CAO. Nat Sherman maduro. Rockey Patel anniversary. i mean we are talking graduation here, price range need not really apply.
    Last edited by thegraduate; 04-11-2007 at 12:38 AM.

have any of you smoked a cigar before and if so what was it and did you enjoy it. A better understanding of your current tastes will help us give better advice.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

and price range?

Welcome to the boards from a fellow QU student!

I haven't been smoking long myself, so I don't have any suggestions, but you might want to check out the Calabash Shoppe down on Whitney Avenue. I was just there today, and they have a decent selection of sticks. The manager there's very friendly, and he might be able to help you pick out some nice graduation smokes.

I've also heard really good things about The Owl Shop, on College Street in New Haven. They should be able to set you up nicely as well.

i'd definately go with this...

link

very classy, and you only graduate a few times throughout your life

yea ive smoked cigars before. Padron 2000 and 3000 maduro. Padron anniv. Romeo. there is a great place by me on LI that makes a good cigar. CAO. Nat Sherman maduro. Rockey Patel anniversary. i mean we are talking graduation here, price range need not really apply.

to feldspar. i have yet to be to The Owl Shop but its on my list. however my friends and i are quite frequent to the Calabash Shop on Whitney, i recomend it just cause its close but they people that work there are great.

Blog Entries

Welcome graduate!

There are lots of "nice" cigars but unfortunately, they're very hard to get your hands on.

I would recommend Padron 1926 #1 maduro. Another suggestion would be Davidoff Millennium Blend Churchill or their 100th aniversary Diademas Finas. There are only two "white glove" Davidoff shops in Connecticut, The Tobacco Shop in Hartford and one in Stamford. Go to the one in Hartford and talk to Jim D., the owner. He's a great guy and his shop is one of the best in Connecticut especially for high end cigars.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boomshay View Post
    i'd definately go with this...

link

very classy, and you only graduate a few times throughout your life
    I would avoid those overpriced Gurkhas like the plague.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Where ya plan on going to graduate school and what will you be studying?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Cat, thanks a lot for your advice and for the location in CT. i will be sure to check it out soon

i will be going to grad school back on Long Island on in NYC still in the process of choosing which one (i thought i was done with that stress when i went to undergrad) but i will be studying Social Studies Adolescent Education. but eventually i hope to become a History professor in American history and teach a class with a friend of mine who is going into the music industry about the history of rock and roll and hopefully teach a class about what i wrote my thesis on which was 'the influence of beer and taverns during colonial America up to and including the American Revolution'.

that was longer than expected ha.

Blog Entries

WOW!! Sounds like a great plan! A professor is a great gig.

My mom was an educator all her life, Got her teaching degree in 1943, taught school, got her masters in the early 1950s and became a principal and superintendent, got her PhD in 1960 and started as a Lecturer at Eastern Connecticut State University, moved up to Associate Professor, Full Professor, Director of Student Teaching, Associate Dean of Professional Studies and retired in 1988 as Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. A very nice and rewarding career and plenty of family time too.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

wow thats great ur mom had a great career and happy life im sure.

but back to cigars for graduation. thanks for the place in hartford again will be sure to check it out.

anyone else ne ideas?

What is your budget for a graduation cigar? How long have you smoked cigars for? What are some of your favorites?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

if u look at earlier posts i named a few cigars i have smoked, i have been smoking for about...2 years this summer. and budget? not more than about 20/25.

I would go with an Opus, Anejo, VSG, PAM, '26, Tatuaje, ESG, etc.

They should all fall within your price range.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Definitely can't go wrong with the list Drew provided. But really, any smoke you enjoy would be fine for Graduation. You may end up buying a really expensive cigar, and find the taste too powerful or not to your liking. The same may go to each of your friends.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation, and welcome to CS.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    I would go with an Opus, Anejo, VSG, PAM, '26, Tatuaje, ESG, etc.

They should all fall within your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    But really, any smoke you enjoy would be fine for Graduation. You may end up buying a really expensive cigar, and find the taste too powerful or not to your liking. The same may go to each of your friends.

When celebrating your college graduation you want to enjoy yourself, not find out you hate $20 cigars. Go with what is currently your favorite, get a couple, and enjoy your time with friends celebrating your accomplishments.

Thread Information