Thread: Okienoodling: Think you can fish?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by daredog4 View Post
    I thought i would let you guys in on the whole experience of it Noodling, or what us non-hilbillies like to call hand fishing.

You are wearing an old pair of sneakers that you would have pitched long ago because your feet sink into the murky water about 6 inches most of the time. You are kneeling with the water at your neck line letting the current pull you along slowly. Up ahead there is a sharp bend in the bank and you can see some brush caught up where the current changes. You know that because of the bend the bank will be cut out and there will be a good chance of a catch. Slowl you and your buddies move in on the brush trying to feel around underneath between the slimy bottom and the pieces of rotten tree limbs, all while keeping an eye out for spiders and other insects and rodents above water. You slowly work your fingers into the the hole up under the bank being careful not to spook anything that might be there. You feel something....its slimy but firm. You work your hands around it being EXTRA careful because if this would happen to be a snapping turtle you better be ready to get the hell out of there fast! You feel the gills. At this point you get one of your buddies over to you and tell him where to feel for the tail fin. On the count of three you insert both hands if possible into the mouth of the beast. Remember that they have tiny barbs on their jaw that will cut into you so you have to ignore the reflex to pull out. Anyways, on the count of three you grab the jaw and your friend grabs the tail. Now the battle begins to get it out of the hole. Basically the motto here is "Don't let Go". Large flathead are basically one big muscle, like the leg muscle of a professional body builder. If you can outlast the beast he will get tired, and after a few minutes of holding on you can work him up onto the beach. The largest one my brother and I have ever fished was 42 pounds.

Now that boys, is how you go fishin
    Do you smoke a cigar while you're okienoodling???

Default i wish

Its about time they come out with a water proof wrapper!!

But you can defenitely enoy a cigar while you eat the fish cooked in some great beer batter. Mmmmm Mmmmm Good

Blog Entries

Well sonofabeech!

Here I am sitting home, looking on the TV Guide channel to see what's on tonight. Nuttin', nada, zip UNTIL I see this on the National Geographic Channel:

Hooked: Caught Bare-Handed"
    Bare-handed fishermen are profiled around the globe. Included: Catfish wranglers in Oklahoma; shark callers in Papua, New Guinea.
    How 'bout THAT!

I'll see you all later, I got me some TV to watch!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Well sonofabeech!

Here I am sitting home, looking on the TV Guide channel to see what's on tonight. Nuttin', nada, zip UNTIL I see this on the National Geographic Channel:

How 'bout THAT!

I'll see you all later, I got me some TV to watch!
    You couldn't help a brother out? Here I was at a Beer Pong tourney and I coulda watched an okienoodling show???

Blog Entries

NEW FLASH!!

Tonight at 10:00 ADT on Animal Planet:

"Hillbilly Handfishing"

"Adventure seekers come to Oklahoma to learn how to catch catfish with their bare hands from two of the sport's prominent practitioners. Also known as noodling, hand fishing doesn't involve the use of rods, hooks or bait."

Tonight's episode:

Season 1, Episode 6
    Episode Synopsis: A mother and daughter from Boston try hand fishing as a bonding experience; a Maryland man tries to impress his boss by excelling at noodling; self-proclaimed metrosexuals venture outside their comfort zones. Original Air Date: Sep 11, 2011

HOLY CRAP! I never heard of this show before. Does anyone have Scroto's cell phone number? I gotta give him a call, he won't want to miss this.

Time to go and watch some okienoodling.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    NEW FLASH!!

Tonight at 10:00 ADT on Animal Planet:

"Hillbilly Handfishing"

"Adventure seekers come to Oklahoma to learn how to catch catfish with their bare hands from two of the sport's prominent practitioners. Also known as noodling, hand fishing doesn't involve the use of rods, hooks or bait."

Tonight's episode:

Season 1, Episode 6
    Episode Synopsis: A mother and daughter from Boston try hand fishing as a bonding experience; a Maryland man tries to impress his boss by excelling at noodling; self-proclaimed metrosexuals venture outside their comfort zones. Original Air Date: Sep 11, 2011

HOLY CRAP! I never heard of this show before. Does anyone have Scroto's cell phone number? I gotta give him a call, he won't want to miss this.

Time to go and watch some okienoodling.
    Thank goodness for satellite TV - man the shows you can see now!!!

Beats the heck out of those rotten NFL games that take over the TV on the weekends...

Blog Entries

Here it is, the okienoodling thread!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information