Thread: Cigar smoking...

1. Question Cigar smoking...

Hello. I am a new member, plus new to cigar smoking. My uncle got me to smoke one last month, for the first time. It was delightful. Since then, I have bought a humidor and purchased some popular cigars from the local tobacco store. I am experimenting with quite a few to find which ones I like best. I really like the Romeo and Jullieta cigars. I haven't tried one of the dark color ones, yet. How are they? My uncle says that he enjoys about 2 or 3 cigars a month. Is there a general quantity one can smoke? I mean, I don't think I could really enjoy smoking 5 cigars a day. But, is one a day too many? Is there a cigar ediquite to smoking? Should I only smoke one to celebrate something or on a rare occation? The way I see it, they are meant to be pleasurable, so if I were to smoke too many too often, how can it be truly enjoyed? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Default

Welcome to CS. I smoke at least one a day. The way I see it any day on this side of the dirt is reason to celebrate.

Thumbs up

There really is no "correct" way to smoke a cigar - just popular ways that yield the best results. It is safe to assume that any questions you may have in regards to cigars have already been dicussed on this board. so I suggest using the search for the fastest results :-)

Oh, and I wouldnt worry about smoking too many cigars. They dont stop being pleasurable just because you smoke them every day. If anything, this will facilitate the rate in which your pallate seasons, thus allowing you to appreciate more in the smoke itself. Each cigar is different. Each brand has its own unique flavors and characteristics, so theres always something new to try, even if you smoke every day. Personally, I smoke about 2 cigars a week. If I had the time to smoke every day, I most certainly would.

Welcome to cigarsmokers.com
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

SFG75 Guest

Welcome to CSmokers!. Only two or three a month?? I guess that it would help one savor the experience more. I average about one a day during the summer time. I really love smoking cigars and critique them a lot more than I use to. I don't know, I think you can certainly smoke more than two or three a month and still have a pleasurable, conscious experience. It's all up to the person really. Good to have you here!.

Blog Entries

I smoke 3 a day on average. We ran a poll on CigarPass.com and here are the results:

More than 35 a week (more than 5 per day) [ 2 ] ** [1.32%]
    22 to 35 a week (3 to 5 per day) [ 4 ] ** [2.65%]
    15 to 21 a week (2 to 3 per day) [ 11 ] ** [7.28%]
    8 to 14 a week (1 to 2 per day) [ 26 ] ** [17.22%]
    2 to 7 a week (less than 1 per day) [ 82 ] ** [54.30%]
    1 a week [ 14 ] ** [9.27%]
    1 every other week [ 9 ] ** [5.96%]
    1 per month [ 2 ] ** [1.32%]
    I don't smoke cigars and have no idea why I joined this site. [ 1 ] ** [0.66%]

I was on the high end but out of 151 people who voted (so far) in that poll, and as you can see, over HALF were in the "2 to 7 per week" range

i try to only smoke on special occations (sp?). like tonight was my 21st birthday party and i enjoyed a smoke with one of my friends right now i don't plan to have one everyday or even every week because of money issues. but when i do have one, i try to enjoy it and savor the taste of it.

Default I go with one a day......

unless it' s a day off then it could be two or three.

Romeo y Julietas are a great cigar. The "darker" ones you see are what is called a maduro wrapped cigar. The wrapper leaf is fermented. It changes the leaf's flavor, increases sweetness and darkens the color. Personally, I don't care too much for maduro although I have had a few that were nice. Ashton and Butera make a nice maduro. Although not all darker cigars are maduro. But as Yeager said, cigars are very subjective. People like what THEY like.

Part of the enjoyment of cigar smoking is trying new things, Explore. Have fun. You will develop your own palette and find your own personal favorites.

Welcome aboard!

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    Romeo y Julietas are a great cigar. . . . .

Part of the enjoyment of cigar smoking is trying new things, Explore. Have fun. You will develop your own palette and find your own personal favorites.
    Amen!, I like the RyJ Cedros Deluxe #2, a bit mild but still enjoyable. I wasn't always a fan of that one, but it's kind of grown on me the last couple of times that I've had it.

Default Mmmmmm...like the Cedros too!

Too mild?

Try the Anniversario Toro or No.2 Pyramid, or the robusto for that matter. I belive it's the strongest blend RyJ puts out. They have a black, white and gold label. Another fav of mine.

I think they introduced the blend with that James Bond 007 Churchill and humidor. Had the "007" secondary band. I like James Bond but the cigar band thing was hokey. They don't put the 007 band on anymore (thank God!). An excellent blend from RyJ.

I smoke one or two a day.
    "Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses"

Quote Originally Posted by cosner63
    I smoke one or two a day.
    me too

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    i try to only smoke on special occations (sp?). like tonight was my 21st birthday party and i enjoyed a smoke with one of my friends right now i don't plan to have one everyday or even every week because of money issues. but when i do have one, i try to enjoy it and savor the taste of it.
    I understand with school that money is a bit of an issue, having been there myself at one time. Have you tried looking into cigar "seconds"? I mean, you can substitute one keg for about two bundles of "seconds" or "rejects" cigars form various cigar makers.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    me too
    I smoke 1-3 a day

i smoke whenever my wife lets me. twice a month if im lucky. starting some tactics to loosen the reins.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis4082
    i smoke whenever my wife lets me. twice a month if im lucky. starting some tactics to loosen the reins.
    don't worry, man. there's plenty of other fish in the see. just kidding. but that sucks!

I also started my love affair with cigars not long ago. I went out and got a nice humidor, bought some individuals and some 5 packs and smoked one to two cigars a day. I realized that a pace like that isn't for me. I am probably going to be a 3-4 times a week smoker. You just need to feel out what your needs or wants are.

1 per day....sometimes 2 or 3 on weekends.

Thread Information