Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Booze!

Default Cheap Booze!

Well, there are plenty of threads dedicated to fine spirits, I thought perhaps I might start one from the other end of the spectrum. Maybe we can toss around economical booze deals that actually taste pretty good. I know I appreciate a bargain when I find one. $50 bottles of fine spirits or $10 six packs of elite micro-brew are all well and good, but don't really work well for less than special occasions. Nobody wants to waste a high-end micro-brew on taking a break from putting in a new garden while smoking a yard-gar.

Now, even though this thread is dedicated to cheap booze, I don't think we have to take it down to the Night Train, Wild Irish Rose, or MD 20/20 level. Lets keep it to things you can take out of the paper bag without shame!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Keystone light. It is Coors light, same can,same beer, different paint.

Only 5.99 a 12 pack. 3.00 less than a 12 pack of coors light (around here anyway)

Coors light is in the competitive market of Bud Light and Miller Lite.

Coors didn't have a beer for the Bush level beer market.

So instead of creating a new beer they just use Coors light and call it something else.

Don't believe me? Buy a can of each, pour each into a glass and do a taste test.

No difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

Only 5.99 a 12 pack. 3.00 less than a 12 pack of coors light (around here anyway)

So instead of creating a new beer they just use Coors light and call it something else.

Don't believe me? Buy a can of each, pour each into a glass and do a taste test.

No difference.
    I just bought a 30 pack of it for 15 bucks. Great beer for yard work on a hot day!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Man, I love beer prices around here. There are 4-5 different varieties of 30 packs for $10.99, including Keystone Light, Busch Light, Natural "Natty", etc.

For those on the East Coast looking for a relatively inexpensive (but delicious nonetheless) beer, I would highly recommend Rolling Rock. It can usually be had for about $9-10/twelve pack of bottles.

No difference.
    I've heard that miller did the same thing with milwaukee's best light. Not sure if it's true or not.

OMG MD20/20. Takes me back to my college days!

I've said it before, but I love Ryan's Irish Cream. It's less than half what Bailey's costs, and it tastes the same to me. Plus, I think it goes great with cigars. I'm not a big fan of cigars and beer together.

No difference.
    Coors Light, to me, is essentially a nonalchoholic beer. After the second one it's like drinking water, all piss no drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyWalker View Post
    Coors Light, to me, is essentially a nonalchoholic beer. After the second one it's like drinking water, all piss no drunk.

You're right. That's why I think it make a good beer for outdoor work or sports/picnics. You can chug with reckless abandon and still hit the Vollyball.

If I have to drink crap, which I never do (I'll always spend money on food, drink and toilet paper), I'll drink rolling rock or if I'm desperate and there are 3 dollar pitcher specials, labatt blue.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Back to the topic, cheap booze, I also like Seagram's 7 as an in expense whiskey. Easy to sip on the rocks and I like the taste more than Canadian blends.

Although I prefer a single malt scotch, I seem to put much more of a dent into the expense single malt than I do the S7.

Also, Sailor Jerry spiced rum is great. It was 9 bucks a bottle but recently went up to about a dollar over captains. But this stuff is 94 proof whereas captains is 70. So it has a nicer bite, same spice and less "sweetness" which I like a lot. Captains, is too sweet for me.

So while it is not cheaper than Captains, you will get a few extra drinks out of it due to the higher alcohol content, so I think it is still a deal.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 05-04-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Default If on the Cheep !

Ezra Brooks for bourbon (has a cork top & 90 proof vs. JD 80 proof), O'Leary's for Irish cream (much creamier than baileys), Seagram7 vs. V.O. or any other blended, Finlander for Vodka, (but its still not cheap ! grrr,I love good vodka)
    Now Beer ? Thats a hard choice !! I drink mostly dark beer so its never cheap, regular beer its euro (becks,st.paulie,grolsh..) & still pricey ! I did find Bavaria or Hollandia to be a great sub to Heinken. American beer..Budwieser ! and have only had bush as a sub, good 30 packs for partys or marinades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub's View Post
    Finlander for Vodka, (but its still not cheap ! grrr,I love good vodka)
    If you're looking for a relatively good vodka at a great price, check out Svedka. It's about $14/liter around here, and I prefer it over Stoli and other similar varieties.
    Last edited by JFellows; 05-04-2007 at 06:19 PM.

A great Vodka for cheap is "Rain" about $15 a fifth. I put it right up there with the top shelf vodkas anyday

Whalers makes some pretty good flavored rum. I particularly like the "Vanille". Not cloyingly sweet like other flavored schnapps/cordials.

For Whiskey I like "Wild Turkey 80" as a staple. A pretty good Bourbon for well under $20. The 101 is a bit harsh IMO. If you want real cheap stuff that's palatable, "old Crow" tastes just like "Jim Beam" at a cheaper price.

As mentioned before, "Keystone Light" is a good replacement for "Coors light".

For a good strong Belgian Ale, you can't beat "Ommegang Abbey Ale" for price. They have some other styles that are good too.

I have not found a good cheap scotch yet. Any Scotch worth drinking is pricey.

Holy shit...a local place is selling 1.75L bottles of Zelko vodka for $7.88 and tax. I picked up two. It comes out to about fifteen cents a shot, haha. Now all I need to do is run it through a Brita filter a few times, and I'll be set.

Interesting topic...

I have no input regarding the vodkas or the like. We try to only drink that stuff when we're out and about. I will say though, that once, our bartender had me try a shot of "real" vodka and a shot of rail vodka, so I could taste the difference. Wow, it was quite telling.

Cheap Beer: Ever heard of Natty Boh? You can buy a 40 oz for like $2. It's quite fun to drink. lol.

Cheap drink....... that will mess you up.

Vodka - Popov (very cheap)
    1 frozen juice mix
    1 beer
    1 blender with ice

Dump frozen drink mix in blender then fill empty drink container with vodka, dump in 1 beer blend and drink.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Good Vodka is so smooth, it's nearly tasteless. It's also pricey. Any of your mid-grade Vodka's are pretty good if chilled (Stoli's, Finlandia, etc.)

You're not going to get a real smooth shot until you get up to the Grey Goose level though.

I'll tell you though, I feel that higher-end spirits should be drunk straight or over ice. If you're going to mix it, just go with the cheap stuff. You really can't tell much of a difference in most mixed drinks.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    snip...if I'm desperate and there are 3 dollar pitcher specials, labatt blue.
    You're joking on the price, right??

Pitchers here are normally $12-15 depending on where you drink. A case of 24 bottles (at the beer store) is somewhere in the vicinity of $36 with cans being $40 even for 24. Beer in bars is $3.75-$6 a bottle, depending once again where you're drinking and what (all prices are for 12 oz bottles and cans).

I remember one time I was in Loozyanna on business and stopped at a convenience store for a 6 pack. I chose Red Dog (I think it was) in 16 oz as I'd seen the ads, but have never tried it. I handed the guy a $20 and he gave me back $16 and change. I said "Pal, I had 6, not 1".

He looked at me and laughed and said "You're not from around here are ya??"

The moral of the story, Canada and cheap alcohol can never be used together.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Thread Information