Thread: Coffee from a Moka pot

Default Coffee from a Moka pot

I was recently turned on to the Moka pot by MrJerry. Wow does this brew some good coffee! I've been using it with the Killer Beans Electric Chair Espresso to make a pretty good cup of espresso (close enough, minus the crema). The last few days I've been using it to make an americano. I can't beleive how smooth the taste is. I don't know if I'll be using my drip machine anytime soon. Even my wife has been enjoying the americanos without flooding them with creme and sugar.

Anyone elso on here use a Moka pot? If so, do you have any tips or recipes?
    Last edited by WOXOF; 05-10-2007 at 05:14 AM.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Jeezuz Crow dude!!! Do you sleep???

Yeah, I used a Moka pot for a long time until I got my new Espresso set-up a few months ago. Loved the Moka, but it doesn't compare to a good Espresso.

My favourite was a Cafe con Leche. I'll look it up later and edit this post for you if you don't already have it.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

I have had several of these pots over the years, but now generally use an esspresso machine whrn I want something nice and strong.

Remember to be carefull, I have managed to cause them to explode in the past.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    snip...but now generally use an esspresso machine whrn I want something nice and strong....snip
    May I ask what you use?? I have a Gaggia Classic paired with an MDF grinder.

snip... I have managed to cause them to explode in the past.
    Ahhhhhhhh, got a bit rambunctious with the packing, did we???

Messy, isn't it?? (Don't ask me how I know!!)
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Jeezuz Crow dude!!! Do you sleep???

Yeah, I used a Moka pot for a long time until I got my new Espresso set-up a few months ago. Loved the Moka, but it doesn't compare to a good Espresso.

My favourite was a Cafe con Leche. I'll look it up later and edit this post for you if you don't already have it.
    I work the 3rd shift. When I do get to sleep, it's usually during the day. I'll have to give the Cafe con Leche a try. I'm interested in trying some cuban style drinks. It sounds like the Moka will work great for that, plus I can take it camping.

I have had several of these pots over the years, but now generally use an esspresso machine whrn I want something nice and strong.

Remember to be carefull, I have managed to cause them to explode in the past.
    I'm working my way up to an espresso machine. I can't afford to spend the $$ right now on a good one. I don't see the point of wasting my money on a cheap unit. How did you manage to blow the moka up?

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    snip....I'm working my way up to an espresso machine. I can't afford to spend the $$ right now on a good one. I don't see the point of wasting my money on a cheap unit. How did you manage to blow the moka up?
    Smart move!! When it comes to Espresso, cheap means shit. Save until you can afford a "decent" machine and a "good" grinder.

When filling the Moka Pot, you should only fill to the releif valve in the lower section. This thing is designed to release steam, not liquid. You should not pack the grinds in the filter basket tightly as you would in an Espresso machine.

So, that being said, too much water + grinds packed too tightly = kaboom of a bad kind, and trust me, it's bloody messy.

My Bialetti has a fill line on the bottom chamber. I read up on them while waiting for mine to come in the mail. I don't tamp the filter basket, I just lightly smooth it out with a spoon.

My Bialetti has a fill line on the bottom chamber. I read up on them while waiting for mine to come in the mail. I don't tamp the filter basket, I just lightly smooth it out with a spoon.
    Bialetti is one of the top names of those pots. I did "tamp" the basket slightly by tapping it on a cutting board lightly to settle the grinds, and refilling 'till just level.

Most of my equipment is Krups, not exeactly top of the line, but it does make damn good coffee.

Yup, when those pots explode there is a damn big mess.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

We use the hell out of those Moka pots at work...well the super generic ones you get at the local crackhouse/quik-e-mart down the road.

None exploded yet. But they makes some pretty decent expresso once you get the right amount of pressing down/packing and water lever right.

Smart move!! When it comes to Espresso, cheap means shit. Save until you can afford a "decent" machine and a "good" grinder.
    I have my eye on a La Pavoni Europiccola. I need a good grinder before I spend that kinda dough. The wife's granite countertops have killed the budget for either one right now.

I have my eye on a La Pavoni Europiccola. I need a good grinder before I spend that kinda dough. The wife's granite countertops have killed the budget for either one right now.
    DOOD, you don't jack around. That's a seriously great machine. A friend has a lower La Pavoni model and I dream of having one of those.

Yes, a good grinder is very important. One Barista told me "You can get decent coffee from a mediochre machine and a good grinder, but all you're gonna get out of a top of the line machine paired with a crappy grinder is crap."

If you want plenty of great info on just about anything and everything made that's coffee related, go to www.coffeegeek.com

DOOD, you don't jack around. That's a seriously great machine. A friend has a lower La Pavoni model and I dream of having one of those.

Yes, a good grinder is very important. One Barista told me "You can get decent coffee from a mediochre machine and a good grinder, but all you're gonna get out of a top of the line machine paired with a crappy grinder is crap."

If you want plenty of great info on just about anything and everything made that's coffee related, go to www.coffeegeek.com
    Oh no not another forum. I can't afford any more internet forums at the moment. After reading up on the La Pavoni, it sounds like it takes some practice to get a good shot of espresso. We'll se, maybe I'll have to start with something more automated.

snip...After reading up on the La Pavoni, it sounds like it takes some practice to get a good shot of espresso. ....snip
    From what I've seen on my buddy's machine, I would compare making coffee in that it to rolling your own cigars!!!

When filling the Moka Pot, you should only fill to the releif valve in the lower section. This thing is designed to release steam, not liquid. You should not pack the grinds in the filter basket tightly as you would in an Espresso machine.

So, that being said, too much water + grinds packed too tightly = kaboom of a bad kind, and trust me, it's bloody messy.
    What is a decent machine and grinder worth Jim? You got me hooked.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    What is a decent machine and grinder worth Jim? You got me hooked.
    I know I am not Jim but this is some good info on grinders
    http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/how...ne/getagrinder

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    I know I am not Jim but this is some good info on grinders
    http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/how...ne/getagrinder
    Thanks Cinda!
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I've been looking at the solis maestro plus. I think that's what I'm going to start out with. I see a lot of people using the Rancilio Rocky but that will be an upgrade for me later.

Sorry everyone, I was out of town and didn't have access.

DREW:

Cinda pointed you in the perfect direction. That site is an awesome source of info of all types. There's a decent vendor in Vancouver who ships anywhere in Canada, and will be cheaper than the States if you get stung by duties. I'll post the site when I get home tomorrow (meeting tonight and the site's in my Favourites on the home PC).

WOXOF:

I've read quite a bit good about that machine, definately a good choice. As for the Rocky, that machine can be finicky. Look at the site Cinda posted for write-ups on that.

Thanks Cinda and Newfie. I've read a lot of the how to's on their site. Great site!

Thread Information