Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Shaving Thread

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    I e-mailed that to my wife at work a while ago and she didn't get it. She showed it to a few of her friends at work and asked what the joke was and they all laughed at her.

I'm still paying for that one!!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    I e-mailed that to my wife at work a while ago and she didn't get it. She showed it to a few of her friends at work and asked what the joke was and they all laughed at her.

I'm still paying for that one!!!!
    Jim I finally get over here and where is my first post going but a SHAVING thread.

3. Default

I did not shave today...I may not tomorrow.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I did not shave today...I may not tomorrow.
    Thats just wrong

So I like this Mantic guy. Has anyone checked out his shaving videos? Here is a link to him talking about his videos success. From there you can go to all his videos and check out some of his actual lessons. Great stuff:) I'm excited to get this going with in the week.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7lOJepzKvM
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    So I like this Mantic guy. Has anyone checked out his shaving videos? Here is a link to him talking about his videos success. From there you can go to all his videos and check out some of his actual lessons. Great stuff:) I'm excited to get this going with in the week.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7lOJepzKvM
    He's one of the shaving Gurus for sure.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Been apprehensive about trying this. Got the razor, got the blades, I received some really nice stuff in my secret Santa. Well I decided to finally give it a go and ordered a brush tonight. Tweezerman Deluxe Badger hair brush, cost me $10 with free shipping. Looking forward to getting it and finally trying this wetshaving thing. When I finally nut up and do it I'll let you guys know.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

I've always been interested with the idea of this form of shaving. Have always wanted to use a straight razor, but since I don't want to kill myself I figured I'd go with the d/e safety razor. Placed an order today with everything I need, so whenever everything comes in I'll post a pic.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CJMaxey View Post
    I've always been interested with the idea of this form of shaving. Have always wanted to use a straight razor, but since I don't want to kill myself I figured I'd go with the d/e safety razor. Placed an order today with everything I need, so whenever everything comes in I'll post a pic.
    There is still a learning curve here so be careful. It is not as hard as Straights to learn but nothing like a new multi blade. Watch the video above it will help, as well as do not use pressure where with the new razors you do. and be aware of the angle which is also not a worry with the new ones. Your shaves will not be as good at first so do not expect them to be but with practice they will be better and also your skin will improve.
    Happy Shaving

so quick question. i was checking these safety razors out with increasing interest since going to the store when i needed more blades and seeing the unreal price! so my question is, i know the single bades are cheaper, but do they last as long? i get about 15 shaves out of my mach 3 blades. just trying to get a breakdown to see if these guys are more cost effective.
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    snip.... i get about 15 shaves out of my mach 3 blades.....snip
    Say what??? 15 shaves out of 1 Mach III blade?? Sorry dude, but I have fairly fair hair and when I used those, I used to get maybe a week out of 'em and that was skipping days shaving at times 'cause I hated it so much.

As for cost of DE blades, don't look in stores. There are many vendors on-line for them. Check Derby or Feather.

When you care about a close comfortable shave, you throw away the blades a lot sooner. Anyway DE blades are about 15 cents and last about a week. YMMV depending on your beard, water quality, shaving habits, etc.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Well Newfie, now you've gone and done it. I've gone and joined another board...B&B. I have supplies on the way and it seems the brewing of another obsession/addiction/disorder.

spiffy
    Last edited by spiffykyle; 02-01-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Just got in some creams today, still waiting on my brush though.
    Hoban Washburn

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    Well Newfie, now you've gone and done it. I've gone and joined another board...B&B. I have supplies on the way and it seems the brewing of another obsession/addiction/disorder.

spiffy
    Welcomw to B&B dude were glad to have you.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    Just got in some creams today, still waiting on my brush though.
    Well what did you get

I also joined the other day, alot of good info there.

I've received all of my order except for the razor, I think they planned it that way so I would suffer.

Well the brush came in today. So I tried the whole thing. Used the new brush, it's a travel sized Tweezerman badger hair brush, the shaving soap from Santa, smells of tobacco and leather, and my antique Gillette safety razor. Not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I didn't get a super close shave as I was a bit timid but I did it and I feel good about that.
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Say what??? 15 shaves out of 1 Mach III blade?? Sorry dude, but I have fairly fair hair and when I used those, I used to get maybe a week out of 'em and that was skipping days shaving at times 'cause I hated it so much.

As for cost of DE blades, don't look in stores. There are many vendors on-line for them. Check Derby or Feather.
    Wow so i am apparently a HUGE shaving newb. I jus threw one out after prolly thirty shaves. didn't seem to be horrible. not ideal given, but not horrible. i mean i shave about 5 times a weeks so maybe i just have really fair hair.
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    Ok so I read an article on MSNBC about this and they were talking about how this is so much better for your skin and all of that. I go out Saturday to some garage sales and find a bunch of old DE razors, all made by Gillette. I pick up a pack he has for $2 it's got a blue handled job and one that is all Silver looking that allows you to udjust the blade angle and all that. So now I need to find a Badger brush, some creams and other stuff. Where can I go?

This is what I got did I do ok?
    Hey Newf I did some checking and the Razor with the blue handle is a Gillette Knack, number is N1 I'm going to look up the number and see what the date is I am also curious to learn more about this razor.

Found it, Knack razor from the first quarter of 1968. Sweet deal.
    Last edited by prophetic_joe; 02-05-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Hoban Washburn

Thread Information