Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Shaving Thread

Just picked up a tube of C.O. Bigelow from Bed Bath & Beyond. It's made by Proraso. I like it . It's got Eucalyptus Oil in it, and when you do that final rinse with the cold water, ewww weee ... feels good. I'd definately recommend it.

I also picked up some Neutrogena Razor Defense After Shave. I had a problem with my face drying out the next day. This stuff has really helped alot.

I got in a tub of Nancy Boy, too. But I haven't tried it out yet.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    I'll start this to keep any thread-jacking from happening (on this subject anyway) like happened to Dan's thread yesterday.

I posted yesterday that I'm on a couple of shaving boards, one mostly dedicated to straight razors (www.straightrazorplace.com), and one leaning more towards D/E safety razors (www.badgerandblade.com) but with a fine contingent of straight users as well.

Ever since I was old enough to shave, I basically hated the routine. It was something I did only because I had to, especially where I work now where a "No Beard Policy" is a condition of employment. I shaved in the shower, and it was only the quicker the better.

One day I saw how much the Bride paid for the Mach III blades I used. I said "Screw this, there has to be something better". At first, it was mostly an economic decision. I bought a Merkur Classic DE razor, a pack of 10 Merkur blades, a cheap Wilkinson Sword Boar bristle brust and a tub of cheap Wilkinson Sword shaving soap. The afore mentioned kit was all in, about $40, and replacement blades being less than $5 for 10, much better price if you bought bulk off E-Bay.

First thing I noticed was how good my face now felt after shaving. There was absolutely no comparison to what I felt before, and believe it or not, the shave was closer. I now CAN NOT shave every 24 hours, I can't. I don't have a quick growing heavy beard, so YMMV.

Skip ahead to today. I now own a Dovo straight razor and a 4 sided paddle strop (I love using this), I own 2 Merkur razors (the original I bought and a Futur, a very heavy razor that feels wonderful in my hands), and 2 old Gillettes from the 60s. I got another brush, a Vulvix Pure Badger (as opposed to Super, Silvertip, etc, all higher quality from different parts of the animal) and a small assortment of soaps, shaving creams, etc.

Now, it's become more than economics. Matter of fact, it basically isn't economical any more. It's about me, and spending time with me alone. Now, when I shave, it takes me 45 minutes to shower and shave, and it's a part of the day I look forward to and relish.

Example, last night at 10 PM, the Bride is watching something on television I wasn't interested in. So I went to shower and shave. I put "Dark Side of the Moon" on the music box in my bathroom, and spend close to the next hour alone, in my own little world, enjoying what I was doing and pampering myself.

Here's what I used last night:

Like I said, this has gone past the economical place where I started and has become doing something for me, something I now enjoy doing after more than 30 years of hating it.

Allow me to make a comparison:

We all enjoy smoking with friends, sharing cigars, shooting the breeze, sharing a couple of beverages of choice, etc. But there are times when sitting in your favourite place to smoke, alone, with one of your favourite cigars, just makes you feel good, right??

Well, that's how I now view shaving.

There are guys here who have an unbelieveable number of cigars collected and aging. Basically any "hobby" is subject to collecting.Wanna see a nice collection of "shaving gear"??

Look HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE
    LMAO! I didn't know you were "Taz" on B&B. Cool. I remeber reading that thread and drooling over your pics of your work on that "shaving kingdom" you created. Great job. I have nothing like that but it did inspire me a little to atleast upgrade my shaving area. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30710

Oops. I clicked on the pic links on your first post and it was taz's shave den, not yours. Anyways, small world. glad there are some other wet-shavers here.
    Last edited by hendu3270; 02-13-2008 at 12:11 PM.

So from that link it looks like you are a woodworker as well! I am big time into making furniture. I actually just got into wet shaving a few weeks ago.

Plus I think Taz recently joined us over here not to long ago.

spiffy

Spiffy,

I don't feel I'm good enough to be called a "woodworker" but, yes, I do dabble a bit. The larger medicine cabinet came out pretty good and I've already built another for the other bathroom, but have yet to tackle a larger piece of furniture. My wife has been wanting me to build an entertainment center, but I've just not come up with a design I like yet.

...and welcome to wetshaving! I get better shaves with my Merkur Slant than I've ever gotten in my life with any cartridge razor or electric. Just like Newf said, I always dreaded having to shave, but now I actually look forward to it. Very similar to how, once I started smoking cigars, I look forward to getting off work so I can go out back and sit down with a cigar after dinner.

I actually read a thread over at B&B awhile back about cigar smoking and started searching the internet about cigars and stumbled upon this place. At some point I'll probably read a thread over here about custom pencil sharpeners and go join a pencil sharpening forum

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by hendu3270 View Post
    LMAO! I didn't know you were "Taz" on B&B. Cool. I remeber reading that thread and drooling over your pics of your work on that "shaving kingdom" you created. Great job. I have nothing like that but it did inspire me a little to atleast upgrade my shaving area. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30710

Oops. I clicked on the pic links on your first post and it was taz's shave den, not yours. Anyways, small world. glad there are some other wet-shavers here.
    Not me dude, but Taz (Don) is a very new member here.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Not me dude, but Taz (Don) is a very new member here.
    Yeah, I caught it right after I posted it then edited the post. I was just excited to see some other wet-shavers on the site. LOL

Ok, you guys have really got me interested in this D/E shaving craze. Im thinkin about pickin up a brush and razor and the whole deal.

Any recommendations on what to get for starting out and where to buy from?

ok so i had to join the SRP group after going through and reading some of those threads and seeing some of those straights i also went out and got some soaps and creams and brush and bowl and now i have some blades on the way that i cant wait to clean up and get them shave ready. thanks for turning me onto this new wonderful way to shave.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Ok, you guys have really got me interested in this D/E shaving craze. Im thinkin about pickin up a brush and razor and the whole deal.

Any recommendations on what to get for starting out and where to buy from?
    There's plenty of great vendors who either are members on Badger&Blade.com or who are highly recommended. Hang out there for a while and you'll come up with a bunch of leads.

If you're looking for a "Newbie Package", PM me and I might be able to hook you up with a good Pure Badger brush, one of several Gillette razors I've bought and don't use any more plus a couple of soaps & creams.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

There's plenty of great vendors who either are members on Badger&Blade.com or who are highly recommended. Hang out there for a while and you'll come up with a bunch of leads.

If you're looking for a "Newbie Package", PM me and I might be able to hook you up with a good Pure Badger brush, one of several Gillette razors I've bought and don't use any more plus a couple of soaps & creams.
    Cool, might have to do that. Probably gona see about picking up some stuff some time in March. Ill let you know, if you still can at the time.

Bumping this old relic of a post with a video I posted on Youtube this week... I've been shaving with a straight edge since about the last time someone posted in this thread, three years now... And it is the best way, and only way everyone should shave:)

The crazy thing is, I only started to shave with a straight edge because of this thread!

Here's a short video of my shaving routine.

I'm thinking of adding some more videos soon about how to strop the blade and make a nice shaving cream foam
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Bumping this old relic of a post with a video I posted on Youtube this week... I've been shaving with a straight edge since about the last time someone posted in this thread, three years now... And it is the best way, and only way everyone should shave:)

The crazy thing is, I only started to shave with a straight edge because of this thread!

Here's a short video of my shaving routine.

I'm thinking of adding some more videos soon about how to strop the blade and make a nice shaving cream foam
    Roham,
    What brand of shave cream do you use?
    For the last 6 months I've been using Taylor of Bond Lemon & lime, just emptied
    I cracked open a new jar of Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver. Wonderful quality cream.
    The scent is exactly the same a Guerlain Vetiver, A cologne I use on a regular basis.
    I have not tried a straight razor yet, I use my fathers 50yr old Star brass saftey razor with wilkinson blades.
    Paddy
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Roham,
    What brand of shave cream do you use?
    For the last 6 months I've been using Taylor of Bond Lemon & lime, just emptied
    I cracked open a new jar of Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver. Wonderful quality cream.
    The scent is exactly the same a Guerlain Vetiver, A cologne I use on a regular basis.
    I have not tried a straight razor yet, I use my fathers 50yr old Star brass saftey razor with wilkinson blades.
    Paddy
    Hey Paddy,

I mix the Nivea Shaving cream and the Williams Mug soap to get my foam. The Nivea shaving cream was actually a different german named brand I had never heard of until I guess Nivea bought them out at some point in the past couple years.... Still is the same cream though I think. The straight edge is great way to get back to our roots and try something new but in no way is it necessary. I found a gold plated safety razor from 1930 at a garage sale! $20 bucks hehe

Those shaving creams look great, I think I'm gonna order me on and try it out! Which should I try first?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I just recently bought some Williams pucks. Actually used it today for the second time to get a good close shave for a wedding. It's cheap, easy to come by, and provides a great shave. Though today's shave wasn't as good as the first time I used it, as I accidently dropped the loaded brush in the sink the first time. Based on that, I used a lot more water than normal, but seems it still wasn't enough. I'm thinking I just plain don't use enough water ever. Guess I really need to try starting from scratch.
    Yay! Cigars!

Based on that, I used a lot more water than normal, but seems it still wasn't enough. I'm thinking I just plain don't use enough water ever. Guess I really need to try starting from scratch.
    I'd bet the opposite, too much water. I find that if I soak my brush while I shower then squeeze the excess water out it's fine.

As far as soaps I love Mama bears soaps. I have the unscented and the dragon's blood.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Hey Paddy,

I mix the Nivea Shaving cream and the Williams Mug soap to get my foam. The Nivea shaving cream was actually a different german named brand I had never heard of until I guess Nivea bought them out at some point in the past couple years.... Still is the same cream though I think. The straight edge is great way to get back to our roots and try something new but in no way is it necessary. I found a gold plated safety razor from 1930 at a garage sale! $20 bucks hehe

Those shaving creams look great, I think I'm gonna order me on and try it out! Which should I try first?
    I love both of them, Every bit as good as the ones costing twice as much. The Taylor of Bond can be had off Amazon for around $15.00.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I just recently bought some Williams pucks. Actually used it today for the second time to get a good close shave for a wedding. It's cheap, easy to come by, and provides a great shave. Though today's shave wasn't as good as the first time I used it, as I accidently dropped the loaded brush in the sink the first time. Based on that, I used a lot more water than normal, but seems it still wasn't enough. I'm thinking I just plain don't use enough water ever. Guess I really need to try starting from scratch.
    Are you using a seperate bowl to work the lather in?
    ~ Gerry Adams

I use these when I travel. They are a nice cross between a soap puck and a cream jar. If used correctly they should last 6-8 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Eucalypt...2477336&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...2477554&sr=1-2

They are inexpensive and do a fine job. I've found some of the OTC soap puck just don't lather well. Once you have tried a GOOD Itailian or British cream you will never go back.Also always have a secong lather bowl to work the cream in ( same with soap puck). Any small bowl out of the cuboard will work. I just happen to use this.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Hand...een_p_804.html
    ~ Gerry Adams

It took me awhile to find what worked best for me...started using a generic puck my wife bought me at the grocery store (I do not recommend this ) to Proraso, to C.O. Bigelow, was then given some Cremo Cream for Christmas last year as well as a kit from Art of Shaving. Tried both and liked both, but ended up sticking with the AOS cream. It's a bit pricey in the store, but it can be found cheaper online. I've found that a tub will last about 6 months or so.

That said, I found that having a decent brush made the most difference- my wife also bought me a generic (synthetic) brush from the same grocery a few years back. Upgrading to a better brush was night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    It took me awhile to find what worked best for me...started using a generic puck my wife bought me at the grocery store (I do not recommend this ) to Proraso, to C.O. Bigelow, was then given some Cremo Cream for Christmas last year as well as a kit from Art of Shaving. Tried both and liked both, but ended up sticking with the AOS cream. It's a bit pricey in the store, but it can be found cheaper online. I've found that a tub will last about 6 months or so.

That said, I found that having a decent brush made the most difference- my wife also bought me a generic (synthetic) brush from the same grocery a few years back. Upgrading to a better brush was night and day.
    I tried the AOS, but it was a bit to Loose for me. I like a firmer cream.
    As far as brushes I use
    http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00182__17.html

The Cremo Cream is wonderfull , but pricey ~!
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information