Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chili Peppers

Default Chili Peppers

If any of you guys (and gals) are as fond as I am of spicy food, you may have tried your hand at growing your own peppers. I do so every year. In addition to the standard non-spicy fruits and vegetables I grow (tomatoes, green bell peppers, etc), I always have several ultra-spicy pepper plants growing. This year I have a Serrano plant, a Cayenne plant, a Habanero plant, and some crazy fucking Chilean omega plant (selected pictures are below).

Does anyone else here grow their own peppers? How about your favorite spicy recipes?

By the way, I always end up growing WAY more than I can eat, so if anyone would like to PM me their address, I can send you an assortment after the first harvest. Be warned, though - these things are ungodly hot.

Last edited by JFellows; 05-13-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I used to have a garden every year but I have become very lazy in my old age. Your pictures remind me of my grandfathers peppers. He used to grow theses red and yellow peppers that were no bigger then an eraser on a number two pencil. He would have them in small pots out on the front poach. One day about 25 years ago I was sitting on the glider with him looking at the plants and I said what do you with peppers that small? He said one pepper is enough seasoning he needed for any dish he would want to make. I guess I had a look of disbelief because the next words out of his mouth were try one. Well I did and I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital! I mean it literally took my breath away. Needless to say he got a grand chuckle out of my misery and grandmother was yelling at him saying why would you tell her to eat that pepper. It was a scene. If there was a lesson to be learned from my experience I say I learned to never judge anything by size alone!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

I did it once when I had a yard, but have been renting lately so no gardening. I'll definitely sample some. I love making a good spicy pot of chili. What do you want in trade?

I replied to your PM, but nothing is required in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    I used to have a garden every year but I have become very lazy in my old age. Your pictures remind me of my grandfathers peppers. He used to grow theses red and yellow peppers that were no bigger then an eraser on a number two pencil. He would have them in small pots out on the front poach. One day about 25 years ago I was sitting on the glider with him looking at the plants and I said what do you with peppers that small? He said one pepper is enough seasoning he needed for any dish he would want to make. I guess I had a look of disbelief because the next words out of his mouth were try one. Well I did and I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital! I mean it literally took my breath away. Needless to say he got a grand chuckle out of my misery and grandmother was yelling at him saying why would you tell her to eat that pepper. It was a scene. If there was a lesson to be learned from my experience I say I learned to never judge anything by size alone!
    The lesson I see in that is don't trust old people.

I have 30 - 40 plants on the go in the greenhouse, a lot of different varieties including habaneros (orange, peach, mustard, devils tongue) and jalapenos. I also grow sweet peppers and tomatoes.

I love the things
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    I have 30 - 40 plants on the go in the greenhouse, a lot of different varieties including habaneros (orange, peach, mustard, devils tongue) and jalapenos. I also grow sweet peppers and tomatoes.

I love the things
    Do you sell yours commercially? I couldn't fathom growing that many peppers for personal use.

I will probably end up giving a lot to family and people at work. But I do make hot sauces and pawder, amongst other things. Some of my plants are ornamental as well, such as the Nosegay and Candlelight.

Also my yield / plant may not be as high as yours as I think that our summers are not generally as hot as yours.

Some recent piccies of my greenhouse

I figured I'd bump my old thread rather than starting a new one. The past 4 weeks have been good to this year's garden.

~4 weeks ago:

This morning:

In those pictures are four tomato plants, two cayenne plants, two jalapeño plants, and two habanero plants. Not pictured are two massive cherry tomato plants which are in a separate area. The tomatoes are taking their time, but the peppers (cayennes in particular) are already yielding like crazy. I sent out a few "pepper bombs" last summer, and the same offer will apply this summer (while supplies last). Anybody need some tasty but Christlessly spicy peppers? I'd be more than happy to share the wealth.

Interesting. Sounds like an offer too good to pass up. I'll take some.
    btw, your cigars will be out Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by BDurrani View Post
    Interesting. Sounds like an offer too good to pass up. I'll take some.
    btw, your cigars will be out Monday.
    Well, it's taken you three weeks to send out those cigars, so maybe I'll ship you a few peppers in August if I still have any.

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    Well, it's taken you three weeks to send out those cigars, so maybe I'll ship you a few peppers in August if I still have any.
    You know I've been busy with summer classes. I'll make it up by sending an extra stick or 2.

Blog Entries

Damn, those are some fine looking peppers. The fact that you eat them regularly makes this all the more remarkable:
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showpost...&postcount=270

Want some?

And yes, I truly am a trooper.

Blog Entries

I can't do the hot spicy stuff......tears me up something terrible. My Dad likes the hot stuff, but he can't eat them like he used to.

Some fine looking plants there, I will post piccies of my current crop when I have some

As promised, here is this years:

If you look closely at the back you can see a healthy crop of chocolate habaneros on the go. Also I have a couple of NAGA MORICH on the go which will be scary when they bear fruit /ripen.

hey, so we just started trying to grow some peppers ourselves; habanero, serrano and thai chilis (also, i just picked up some seed packets of chocolate and white habaneros). I was wondering if you guys had any tips for growing these? I don't usually have much luck with the gardening thing. We literally just started, so any advise would help tremendously. thanks.

I have found this site very informative when it comes to growing chillis

Thread Information