Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chili Peppers

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    hey, so we just started trying to grow some peppers ourselves; habanero, serrano and thai chilis (also, i just picked up some seed packets of chocolate and white habaneros). I was wondering if you guys had any tips for growing these? I don't usually have much luck with the gardening thing. We literally just started, so any advise would help tremendously. thanks.
    Sun sun sun. The more sun they get, the better. Also, I use a fertilizer called "Root Blast" on all of my fruit/vegetable plants...it is some pretty incredible stuff. Other than that, just make sure you're using good soil and that the plants get a solid drink of water every evening.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    I have found this site very informative when it comes to growing chillis
    Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    Sun sun sun. The more sun they get, the better. Also, I use a fertilizer called "Root Blast" on all of my fruit/vegetable plants...it is some pretty incredible stuff. Other than that, just make sure you're using good soil and that the plants get a solid drink of water every evening.
    Thanks guys.

Just a little update on this and a quick recipe question.

So even though I got a late start last year, most of my plants produced great, with the exception of the chocolate habs; Some nasty little critter nibbled off their leaves a few days after they started growing good, and as a result, I only 1 plant really survived, and it was very stunted. I managed to bring all the plants through the winter and my Orange and White habs are already gearing up for the spring. I just placed an order for some Caribbean red hab. seeds and a new batch of chocolate ones. I also just picked the 20 some odd peppers my white hab plants have been steadily growing despite being stuck in a garage for the past two months.

My question is this, what are some of yalls' favorite recipes for hananeros?

I usually use them in stir fry or spice up pasta dishes, but I'm looking for some new ways to use my peppers.

Strange coincidence that your posting about this today. I made sausage and peppers last night with some jalapenos in it. Gave it a nice kick.

I regularly make up big batches of vegetable chili for the freezer and use it in all sort of places, scrambled egg is good.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Wow, some nice pepper plants in here. I've grown Scotch Bonnets and those little Italian red peppers in the past. I finally have a very tiny yard and when the weather gets nicer I'm planning on growing some peppers and herbs.

For good recipies I love my subscription to Chilipepper Magazine. http://www.chilepepper.com/
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

A recipe I haven't made in forever is a spicy creamy seafood pasta dish! I'm assuming you dry some of your peppers? If you look in the frozen food section of ethnic stores, they usually have bags of frozen seafood mix, or you can make it yourself out of whatever floats your boat. The one I had contained shrimp, scallops, mussels, squid, baby octopus, and crab meat. I fried it up in a healthy splash of olive oil with a few cloves of fresh minced garlic, salt, and pepper. After that is done, add a pint of cream (or milk, whatever meets your caloric comfort zone, richer tastes better) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh grated parmesan. Add a one or two tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes to taste (or whatever dried pepper you choose). Let it simmer on low for a bit while you sample it and add ingredients to your personal tastes and until the sauce reaches a nice consistency. Keep is stirred so it doesn't scorch. Toss it with pasta. I like angel hair or linguini personally, but any will do.

Sorry I don't have exact measurements on the ingredients. It's one of those things where I just wing it and it turns out good.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Still have a long way to go before I do any planting. Not until the end of March for me to plant seeds. Last years spring was too cold and wouldn't let things grow right.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

I actually just started some seeds for my garden over the weekend. I got a few of those jiffy green houses with the peat pellets and put them on a windowsill. I saved some seeds from a couple of dried habanero and jalapeno peppers left over from last years garden and am giving those a shot. I'm sort of curious to see if they work out. If they don’t sprout I guess I’ll buy some plants towards the beginning of April.

I also started some California Wonder green peppers, summer squash, egg plant, zucchini, Roma tomatoes, cherry 100's tomatoes, and various herbs. I guess I should look into some more hot peppers too.

This weekend I'm going to lay down some 3/4" micro sprinkler irrigation and start planning out where to put the raised beds and a trellis for the squash/zucchini.

I'm sort of getting into this whole gardening thing. I put up a row of rabbit eye blueberries in the fall that are in full bloom right now, and my peach tree just started flowering. It's sort of fun to watch things grow.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I actually just started some seeds for my garden over the weekend. I got a few of those jiffy green houses with the peat pellets and put them on a windowsill. I saved some seeds from a couple of dried habanero and jalapeno peppers left over from last years garden and am giving those a shot. I'm sort of curious to see if they work out. If they don’t sprout I guess I’ll buy some plants towards the beginning of April.

I also started some California Wonder green peppers, summer squash, egg plant, zucchini, Roma tomatoes, cherry 100's tomatoes, and various herbs. I guess I should look into some more hot peppers too.

This weekend I'm going to lay down some 3/4" micro sprinkler irrigation and start planning out where to put the raised beds and a trellis for the squash/zucchini.

I'm sort of getting into this whole gardening thing. I put up a row of rabbit eye blueberries in the fall that are in full bloom right now, and my peach tree just started flowering. It's sort of fun to watch things grow.
    Will the different peppers cross pollinate and produce "mutt" varieties?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Will the different peppers cross pollinate and produce "mutt" varieties?
    I think I read somewhere that yes, you can easily make hybrid peppers by cross pollinating, but the variants don't show up in the peppers of the plants, but rather in the seeds. So, you have to cross pollinate, then plant the resulting seeds to get the hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    I think I read somewhere that yes, you can easily make hybrid peppers by cross pollinating, but the variants don't show up in the peppers of the plants, but rather in the seeds. So, you have to cross pollinate, then plant the resulting seeds to get the hybrid.

I think that's what he was doing. He was using seeds from last years harvest. If the various pepper varieties in his garden were too close, he would get "mutt" peppers.

Just an update...I currently have 16 Bhut Jolokia sprouts that just popped out of the ground. According the the Guinness Book of World Records, these guys are the hottest chili peppers on the planet...roughly 10x hotter than habaneros. If all goes according to plan, I should have an insane quantity of these by mid-August. Cigarsarge already has a bunch coming to him...anybody else want any?

14. Default

That sounds really cool. I'd definitely like to try a couple if they turn out.

ooh ooh ooh pick me pick me :)

*waves arm in the air*

I have 9 pepper plants growing, used a sweet chilie last night w/ tacos. I don't think I'll see a single tabasco pepper as squirrels have attacked my garden.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

16. Default

Just an update...I currently have 16 Bhut Jolokia sprouts that just popped out of the ground. According the the Guinness Book of World Records, these guys are the hottest chili peppers on the planet...roughly 10x hotter than habaneros. If all goes according to plan, I should have an insane quantity of these by mid-August. Cigarsarge already has a bunch coming to him...anybody else want any?
    Looking forward to the heat!!! Anyone for a bowl of salsa?

Sounds good -- PM sent.

Blog Entries

I sent a PM, if you have any left to spare

Thanks,

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

You don't think a cajun will pass up an offer like this!

If any to spare.

Rich

these guys are the hottest chili peppers on the planet...roughly 10x hotter than habaneros.
    Geez! Don't get any juice in your eye when chopping those bad boys. My garden is much more tame with just jalapeno and cayenne peppers this year.

Thread Information