Thread: humidor beads. do i still need hygrometer?

Default humidor beads. do i still need hygrometer?

this is my first post to bear with me. i did search other threads and havn't come across this.
    I was wondering how accurate the beads really are. Would i need a hygrometer still if i kept the beads moist? I have heard they keep great accurancy and need very little maintanence and i wondering if i would save on buying a hygrometer if its guarenteed to hold say a 65% humidity level. I mean as long as i keep them moist it shouldn't be a problem right?

Im brand new at this so sorry for any ignorance. I really appreciate any knowledge past onto me.

-vic

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    this is my first post to bear with me. i did search other threads and havn't come across this.
    I was wondering how accurate the beads really are. Would i need a hygrometer still if i kept the beads moist? I have heard they keep great accurancy and need very little maintanence and i wondering if i would save on buying a hygrometer if its guarenteed to hold say a 65% humidity level. I mean as long as i keep them moist it shouldn't be a problem right?

Im brand new at this so sorry for any ignorance. I really appreciate any knowledge past onto me.

-vic
    You can trust the beads, However if you don't have a hygrometer you won't know when the humidity starts to decrease or if you have saturated your beads and the humidity is too high, so I suggest at a minimum you buy a cheap hygrometer do a salt test on it to check its accuracy and and then at least you will have that piece of mind knowing that your smokes are doing ok. really its a small price to pay.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I would still get a hygro. I got a digital one in all my good humis. Not worth saving $20, not buying a hygrometer and having hundreds of $$$ in to wet or dry smokes. I just take a look at mine when ever I pull a stick out. To dry and I hit it with a squirt of water. The beads work great! Never gets to wet with them

yea I would still get one. as a side note, whoever invented the beads needs a pat on the back, I have 65% from heartfelt and they are right on all the time.

Thread Information