Thread: Humidor plans

Default Humidor plans

Does anyone know a good place I could find plans for a end table style humidor? Ive searched the internet for web sites I've looked on ebay and all I can find are small 20-50 count desktop style humidors.I know a guy who told me he could build me one if I got him a picture but I thought plans might be better since he has never built a humidor before and I don't want to end up with a table that won't hold humidity.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

cuban crafters maybe.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

How about a couple of detailed pictures and the overall measurements?

Depending on how much you are gonna spend on materials and labor it may be cheaper to get a prebuilt one. Unless you are going for a certain dimension...otherwise it may end up costing you more than a prefab...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin390 View Post
    How about a couple of detailed pictures and the overall measurements?
    I'm Looking for something very comparable to this, as far as dimensions, they can vary. I only need it to hold 150 cigars or so and I wouldn't want it to hold any more than 300
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ea_1_bo.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	603  
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Woodworking is a huge passion of mine so I can help somewhat.

First off, you'd be hard pressed to find ready made plans for a table style humidor. It'd be far easier to find plans for an end table and adapt them.

Secondly, guado is right when it comes to cost. The materials alone would be pretty costly. You can bring the cost down by using a nice hardwood veneer over MDF for the box itself. The spanish cedar is gonna run up a bit though to cover the entire inside of that thing. I've built a few box humis as gifts and they definately cost more in materials than a pre-fab one would have, but i enjoy the work so its worth it to me.

Actually, what i am planning on doing is finding a nice old end table and converting it. Gut it, retrofit a good sized cedar box, then add the access (drawers and/or a lid). I've seen old furniture converted for a specific use (wine cabinet), and you can't even tell from the outside.

PM me if you want and we can discuss the size you are looking for and i can throw together some basic construction plans. Your guy can then add on the the outside of it to look how you want it.

To save on the cost of buying spanish cedar...could you use the wood from spanish cedar cigar boxes for the humi's inside lining?
    "Destiny, John, is a fickle bitch!"
    - Benjamin Linus

Quote Originally Posted by Labman View Post
    To save on the cost of buying spanish cedar...could you use the wood from spanish cedar cigar boxes for the humi's inside lining?
    Absolutely, but it also depends on the aesthetics on the inside of the finished box. Using cigar boxes will mean a somewhat patchwork lining for a larger humidor.

spiffy

what about some good 1/4" or 3/8" spanish cedar plywood?

Thread Information