Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steak Recipes

Default Steak Recipes

It's time. Summer time. Grillin' time. The thrill of the grill. Chillin' & Grillin'.

I had my first official grill out last nite. Steaks, as usual, and corn on the cob.

What I wanna know is how you do it. From start to finish. I cook mine the same way everytime.

Usually marinate in Dale's. Throw it on the grill. Add some Tony C's Creole Seasoing. And I like to flip it multiple times. I know guys who flip it twice, but I'll flip it about 6 times.

It's a good steak, but I wanna try something new.

Also, what's some side items that you cook with it?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Coat my steaks with a brush of Vegetable oil and a steak seasoning powder, I usually get my steaks from Costco, usually a 4 pack size of Sirloins so you can guess the size, nice big steak!
    I do them one side for about 6 to 7 minutes a side (turning about 40 degrees after 3 minutes, for the criss cross marks) than turn once for the other side.
    Last night with my steak we had baked potatoes and I did a summer squash wrapped in foil a little EVOO and italian seasoning mixture, wrap in foil and put on the top rack of grill for about a half hour, delicious!
    “ Laughter relaxes. And relaxation is spiritual.”

All depends on the cut. But for a sirloin, usually salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and then grill on a hot grill, I don't prescribe to any turning method, I just move them around to make sure they all cook even.

For a rib-eye, just coarse salt and pepper.

I'll marinade strips and London broils. Kinda depends on what I'm after for flavor.

Sometimes I'll use a little liquid smoke, sometimes not. My four year old loves steak medium rare but I need to go mild, a lot milder than I would prefer, on the spices.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Mine is simple:

Knock it's horns off, wipe it's ass and walk it through the kitchen.

I like my beef blue rare, and in regards to steaks, I'll eat sirloin, rib-eye, strip-loin and once in a while, tenderloin. Unfortunately, since my weight loss program almost 1-1/2 years ago, I eat been maybe once a week, so it's a real treat for me.

Canada has a steak chain called The Keg, and they serve what they call a "Baseball Sirloin". It's about 3-1/2" in diameter and usually 2" - 2-1/2" thick. Mmmmmmmmmm good.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

I usually coat my steaks in BBQ sauces and various spices and garlic powder and sometimes add some beer if I'm letting it sit for a while... its gotta be rare though. I like doing potatoes on the BBQ in tinfoil with some onions and peppers and spices for a side.

I'm a big believer that steaks should be relatively unadorned; the flavor of the steakshould be able to stand on its own, and if they can't, buy your steaks somewhere else.

I almost always buy ribeyes, both on the bone and boneless. I heat my grill to about 600 degrees, then open the lid and slap my steaks down. Kosher salt and black pepper liberally on the steaks; wait about 2-3 minutes to get a good, deep char, then flip and season the other side. Wait 2-3 more minutes, then if they are really thick, take them off the direct heat, close the lid, and let them cook on indirect heat a few more minutes.

Best damn steaks in the world, except for a few high-end steakhouses I frequent.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

One thing I wanted to add, it isn't really a threadjack 'casue nuttin' goes better with a good steak than a baked potato ('cept maybe a frosty pint or 2).

Here's what I do with baked spuds:

Scrub some proper baking potatos (I find Idahos work best, but that's no secret). Rub 'em with a little olive oil, and then rub 'em again with coarse salt. Some of the salt should basically stick to the skin because of the oil. Put 'em on the top rack in the BBQ away from direct heat, length of time depends on size of the spuds.

Enjoy!!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post

Knock it's horns off, wipe it's ass and walk it through the kitchen.

You sure do love your...... er....

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    You sure do love your...... er....
    LOL, you were saying??

There's nothing like a big Caribou or Moose steak on the BBQ! Newfie you can back me up on this one, man! "Got ta git me moose b'y!"

Never had moose and Caribou is something I've only read about. I read that because the feed on lichen and real bland stuff that the meat is less gamey than a most and really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Labman View Post
    There's nothing like a big Caribou or Moose steak on the BBQ! ....snip
    Dude knows what he's talking 'bout ladies & gents. And trust me, you ain't had decent caribou 'till you've eaten from an animal from the Labrador wilds.

Mmm-mmmmmmmmmm good.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Never had moose and Caribou is something I've only read about. I read that because the feed on lichen and real bland stuff that the meat is less gamey than a most and really tasty.
    That's true Tyler. Normally very lean too.

Blog Entries

It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I'll do the basic salt & pepper thing with a little Worcestershire sometimes.

I also like to make a marinade with some Mojo, Worcestershire sauce, and some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I bought one of these: http://importfood.com/mortarpestle.html a couple of weeks back. I made a kick ass marinade with a couple of cloves of garlic, some fresh rosemary, fresh basil, fresh thyme and fresh oregano (yes I have a garden). Added some balsamic vinegar, some Worcestershire sauce, and some sugar, salt and fresh cracked pepper. I basically grinded all the herbs and garlic with the mortar & pestle and added the wet stuff. I got 2 3/4 pound rib eyes and marinated them with this for a few hours. They went great with some of my roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

I love to cook, but I rarely measure anything or use recipes to a t. I just mix stuff together till I think its going to be tasty (and it usually is)
    Last edited by hex1848; 05-24-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Hey Hex, I have a paste I use occasionally on a Prime Rib that needs a M&P to prepare. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the recipe.

My roomate has this kick ass flank steak recipe... I can't remember it exactly but its somethin like 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup sugar, garlic cloves, 2 tbs seasame oil... probably something else too. I'll edit when I find out. But it's damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Hey Hex, I have a paste I use occasionally on a Prime Rib that needs a M&P to prepare. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the recipe.

Ooh I want it.

Blog Entries

yeah, post it in a seperate thread :-)

Once I get my hummus and pesto recipies down, I'll post them as well.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    My roomate has this kick ass flank steak recipe... I can't remember it exactly but its somethin like 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup sugar, garlic cloves, 2 tbs seasame oil... probably something else too. I'll edit when I find out. But it's damn good.
    That sounds like a Korean recipe my mother makes. Something about, she gave me the recipe, but mine never comes out like hers.

As far as steaks go. I season with salt, pepper, and a little Tony C's. Then I cut about 3 small slits in the steak, and put a slice of garlic in each of them. Crank the pit up and let it get nice and hot, so hot your eyes brows feel like they are on fire when you lift the lid. Then I slap the steaks on the grill, close the grill. For my steak I wait about 2 minutes and flip it over for another min or two and mine is as done as I want it. The rest of my family likes there barely pink, but hey it's their loss. I only flip once or twice on each side, but before I do, I pour some melted butter on it.

I love steamed veggies, and a baked potato with mine, and and lets not forget a fresh baked loaf of bread, or french bread.

It depends on the quality and tenderness of the meat. For good steak, I season lightly.

When buying steak, look for a nice dark red color rather than bright red. Avoid packages with big pools of bright red fluid in the bottom. Look for a finely marbled steak, and avoid those with too much fat and gristle. Look at both sides of the steak ,if possible, for quality. If buying from the counter, ask the butcher to trim the fat for you if it isn't done already.

I first tenderize the meat and prepare it for a light marinade by poking lots of holes in it with a fork. You can also tell how tender the steak is this way. The fork should slide in and out relatively effortlessly. If it's not done already, I trim the steak, removing fat and gristle. Then, I put the steaks in a shallow dish, rub in Worcestershire sauce on both sides and sprinke with salt, pepper and garlic powder or All purpose seasoning. Goya Adobo all purpose seasoning works well for this. I let them sit for a few hours in the fridge, flipping them in the pan once or twice.

Prepare the grill by pre-heating it VERY hot. Around 700F is preferable.

While doing this make a preparation of garlic butter using fresh or jarred garlic and real dairy butter. Add a splash of Worcestershire if desired and a tablespoon or so of your favorite steak sauce to thicken the mixture.

Give the grill bars a quick brush to prevent sticking. Be careful as a grill this hot will singe you!

Put the steaks on the extremely hot grill to sear them. Once one side is well seared, flip the steak over onto a different area of the grill to sear the other side.

Once both sides are seared, turn down the grill to about 300F and brush the steak with garlic butter. Let it cook with a closed lid until it is one notch below your desired doneness. Flip it one last time and brush the other side with garlic butter as well. Cook until it is done.

If you like more garlic butter, you can brush it on periodically during the cooking. Keep a close eye on steak while it's cooking! A single flare up can ruin a rare or Med-rare steak in a minute or less!

Drenching a good steak in lots of spicy sauces or strong marinades ruins it IMHO. Also, don't use the powdered meat tenderizer. Save that stuff for round steak or chuck steak and the like.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    That sounds like a Korean recipe my mother makes. Something about, she gave me the recipe, but mine never comes out like hers.

As far as steaks go. I season with salt, pepper, and a little Tony C's. Then I cut about 3 small slits in the steak, and put a slice of garlic in each of them. Crank the pit up and let it get nice and hot, so hot your eyes brows feel like they are on fire when you lift the lid. Then I slap the steaks on the grill, close the grill. For my steak I wait about 2 minutes and flip it over for another min or two and mine is as done as I want it. The rest of my family likes there barely pink, but hey it's their loss. I only flip once or twice on each side, but before I do, I pour some melted butter on it.

I love steamed veggies, and a baked potato with mine, and and lets not forget a fresh baked loaf of bread, or french bread.

Bulgogi? A korean flank steak marinde recipe made with thin sliced flank steak. It's similar to Teriyaki.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Thread Information