Thread: One Question...

Angry One Question...

How can you break the law when you're not in the country?

Arnie guilty of in-Fidelity to cigar laws

Busted for smoking an ISOM in Canada where it's legal, how is that possible?
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    How can you break the law when you're not in the country?

Arnie guilty of in-Fidelity to cigar laws

Busted for smoking an ISOM in Canada where it's legal, how is that possible?
    as Americans, we are not allowed to partake anywhere. It's illegal for us outside of the country as well.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

In personam jurisdiction.

It is legal jurisdiction over the person. It occurs when:

1: You are present in the jurisdiction and properly served.

2: You are domiciled in the Jurisdiction

3: You consent to Jurisdiction

4: You have minim contacts with the Jurisdiction.

I Don't remember exactly the case but if you're a citizen, the Federal Government has jurisdiction over you at all times regardless of where you are located. I believe it falls under the consent provision. You consent by being a citizen. Now this only applies to certain laws, such as the trading with the enemy's act, which the Cuban embargo falls under now. That's why pre-trading with the enemy act, you could bring back something like 5 Cuban cigars purchased overseas without a problem. Now it's totally illegal.

I read that it is only legal to purchase ANYTHING Cuban if you purchase in Cuba while legally there. Also the limit is $100 American. I also read that the house and senate voted themselves an excemption to the embargo back in the 90's. Guess they forgot to include governors.

Cubans dont stamp passports. You get a little piece of paper stamped. I'm not sure why. I would assume it's because you could have problems going to the USA with it in your passport.
    Last edited by Roham; 06-05-2007 at 02:52 AM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Cubans dont stamp passports. You get a little piece of paper stamped. I'm not sure why. I would assume it's because you could have problems going to the USA with it in your passport.
    Hallelujah!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

I Don't remember exactly the case but if you're a citizen, the Federal Government has jurisdiction over you at all times regardless of where you are located. I believe it falls under the consent provision. You consent by being a citizen. Now this only applies to certain laws, such as the trading with the enemy's act, which the Cuban embargo falls under now. That's why pre-trading with the enemy act, you could bring back something like 5 Cuban cigars purchased overseas without a problem. Now it's totally illegal.
    I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Yes it could possibly be so that someone could hypothetically visit that country from a 3rd party country and then easily remove the evidence from thier passport. It should also be noted that if someone were to hypothetically visit that country illegally and get into a jam....Youre f'd. No embassy help, no medical insurance coverage there or when you hypothetically returned, no rights. Check back !
    Last edited by pub spears; 06-05-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: c.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

Damit! I thought I was done with Civil Procedure.

Unfortunately Civ. Pro. never goes away, it just keeps getting more complicated.

There are also other US laws that apply worldwide. One, which is recently in the news, is a conspiracy to overthrow a government that the US is at peace with (it applies to all US citizens regardless of location). This conspiracy involves US citizens in an attempt to overthrow Laos communist government through supplying weapons as well as strategies for demolishing government buildings. The article is here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070605/...us/laos_plot_8

Another one that applies no matter where you go: if you become inolved in child prostitution, you can be prosecuted when you return to the US in the US by US courts.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information