Thread: Aging cigars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aging cigars

How long do you guys leave a cigar in your humi before smoking it? It seems the smokes that have been in my humi for a few months burn evenly and have much better flavor.
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

I like to age all of them. Alot of cigars are WAY better after they "stabalize." Others are just better with a few years on them.

I agree. I find all cigars do better after some time. Most B&M's seem to run a little wet for my tastes.

I age them as long as I can. I really don't pay too much attention to it. I smoke what I want, when I want.

Although aging does greatly benefit the sticks IMO. I realized this after smoking a few sticks from 2001 back to back with their 2005/6 counterparts.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

It takes some time to build up your collection to do this.

I usually don't smoke anything without 4 years on it. However I have been collecting and aging cigars for the past 10 years now.

Just buy two boxes at a time. That is one to age and one to smoke. Do this for a while and you will see you will be on your way to a great collection of aged cigars.

I have found that different cigars respond differently to aging. Some seem to come to a flavor peak, while others mellow, some lose it. I had some Camacho SLR Maduros that were a year old when I bought the box, but they didn't come to perfectness (okay it's not a real word) till the last few that had sat in my humidor for 14 months. Some of the milder ones like Lusitania need at least three months in the humi to develope a decent potential. It is my experience that stronger tobaccos like Nicaraguan or Honduran just get better the longer you give them.
    I usually buy two or three of a new cigar to age them as I smoke them. The first within a week or two. The second a couple months later. And the third (if I bought three) at about the six month time line. I have bought some cigars that were a really good deal only to find they tasted awfull the next day, but a yaer later - a decent smoke.

For me it is generally a question of when i get around to them, it is not unusual for cigars to sit in my humi for 2-3 years before I try one.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information