Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Vegas Cask-Strength

Default 5 Vegas Cask-Strength

As per Cabaiguan Juan's suggestion, I decided to do a review of this cigar.

The stats:
    Wrapper: Cuban-seed Dominican
    Binder: Dominican Corojo
    Filler: Brazilian, Dominican Corojo, Cubano Piloto, Nicaraguan
    Size: 5.7 x 54 (the only size made)

After a long day of doing homework (damn you grad school), I was very excited and pleased to smoke this cigar. Beautiful night here in Jersey for it too, a little windy but nothing this cigar could handle.

Definitely a medium-full bodied cigar, nothing too strong but by no means something I'd smoke without a full tummy. The cigar was quite veiny and more brown in appearance than the 5 Vegas classic. Probably the most impressive part of this cigar was it's construction. Had an amazing draw (TONS of smoke) and held ash very well. No burn problems. Basically the cigar said to the aforementioned wind.

I'm not a huge flavor guy, but if I had to throw a few out there, I'd say it was like 5 Vegas Classic with a little bit more chocolate and less cream.

Overall, I would give it a 8.5 or 9.0 out of 10. One of the best cigars I've smoked in a while. If it wasn't $100 a box, I'd probably be ordering more.

Thanks for the review, Mike. Sounds like a good cigar. Was it stronger then the regular 5 Vegas? The Cask Strength title kind of leads me to think that.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Yeah, it was definitely stronger than 5 Vegas Classic.

Default 5 Vegas Cask Strength

I got a bunch of these from CI, lured by the "cask strength" description. Perhaps that should have been casket strength because I found nothing going on at all. I got some of the Golds which were just about nothing, some of the regular 5 Vegas and they were just a tad fuller, bringing them to a strong mild. But the cask strengths were the big surprise. Medium at best with little noticeable flavor. I noticed a bad taste in the back of my mouth, but that is the only descriptive term I can think of. Beyond that, there was nothing to say. I tried two and decided I had experienced enough punishment. I'm giving my two boxes away to a guy in town who is just starting cigar smoking. I hate to do that to him, but at least they won't be too strong for him. I wouldn't honor them with a numerical rating, but if a store owner offers me one for free, I'm going to pass.

Buying two boxes of a cigar which you have not tired is a real step of faith and marketing. How about doing an introduction to let us know who you are.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

How long has it been resting before you smoked them? Normally, if I purchase cigars online, I'd have them sit in my coolidor or Humidor for at least 2 weeks before smoking them. I've gotten too eager a couple of times, and have been DISAPPOINTED each time. When I let the cigars rest, and tried them again, the experience was very pleasing.

When you are used to smoking your cigars at a certain humidity and temperature, you tend to notice the suttleties when a cigar is too dry or too moist. Sorry for your bad experience.

I had one yesterday. I liked it, not bad. Seamed like a stronger 5 Vegas, with good flavor.

I have a few of these sitting for about a month now. Almost time to try one.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

I had another yesterday. Its good, but I'd put it in the golf cigar catigory. It was tasty, but uneven burn and seemed to with stand some abuse. I'd enjoy it while golfing definatly, but when I want to sit down and enjoy a cigar, I'd grab something else.

Having thusly embarrassed myself by admitting to buying two boxes untried, I'm hardly in a mood for any further introduction. I guess I just fell for the CI hoopla and figured they had to be good. I can't think of another cigar I have that I would be less likely to smoke. As for use on the golf course, things are tough enough out there sometimes without ruining a round with an inferior smoke. On the course, I usually have something like a La Flor DL 700, an Illusione 2/4g, or is that 4/2g?, or a Don Pepin Blue Label. If I play in the morning, I'll usually start with an Olive Serie O, because it is a nice light start. I walked up on the fairway near my house with a Cask Strength, was really prepared to enjoy it, really wanted to, and just couldn't sense anything. Maybe if they had rested in the humidor a while, they might have improved. Now, I'll never know, but I don't miss them. The gold label was just as bad and even lighter.

11. Default have some

if you like these I have 19. Let me know.

Blog Entries

Default ?

And you are?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djcuda View Post
    if you like these I have 19. Let me know.
    Trying to sell cigars on your first post is very bad form. Trying again with your second post is idiotic.

Here's some friendly advice:
    Introduce yourself to the community.
    Apologize for thinking this was flea bay.
    Read around the board to get a feel for the place.
    Participate.

Do those for awhile, then you might be able to buy/sell here.

Please, take my advice, or just go away. Trust me, you won't like the alternative.

14. Default Too Good

I Guess you guys are to good for me. As a fellow cigar smoker thought you would be better than what I see. I guess i'm just an idiot. Just trying too sell these cigars. O well

Blog Entries

Yep....

We are definitely too good for you!

You are the equivelent of a toilet brush salesman knocking on my door at 7:00 am on a Saturday.

"We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I Guess you guys are to good for me. As a fellow cigar smoker thought you would be better than what I see. I guess i'm just an idiot. Just trying too sell these cigars. O well
    Damn, and I even tried the calm, rational, friendly advice path first.

Blog Entries

Just goes to show you..

An asshat is an asshat... no matter how you slice them!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Wow. The irony in this post - the gift that just keeps on giving.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    damn, and i even tried the calm, rational, friendly advice path first.
    lmfao!

What bugs me is he got the adverbal spelling of 'too' correct in his subject line, but used the prepositional 'to' in the body. That's just sloppy.
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Thread Information