Thread: 4GB SD cards for trade

Default 4GB SD cards for trade

Befor I start, I just want to warn everyone that 4GB SD cards (different from the new SD HC card standard) are not compatible with many devices and readers. The original SD hardware standard wasn't meant to support FAT32, which is necessary for partitions over 2GB. The hardware has to be able to handle the longer addressing.

Some devices are able to use them. Probably because some engineers either by pupose or accident used hardware that can recognize 32 bit addressing. No SD devices can officially use any larger than a 2GB card because the SD standard wasn't written for it. Regardless, many can! You can check online to see if someone has tested your particular device for compatibility. Simply plugging in the card, seeing 4GB, and using it isn't enough. Incompatible readers will not be able to properly read data stored above the 2Gb address.

As you can tell, I found out the hard way that the reader interface hardware in my Dell Axim X51V and USB multi-card reader are not compatible. I can only use them as 2 GB cards (a waste). As such, I'm willing to trade my two 4GB cards for three 2GB cards. Or trade three 1 GB cards each. You can make an offer for anything else. Lord knows I may get desperate!

There are many devices these cards work fine with from what I've read, so this may be a great opportunity for someone! Large storage capacity is particularly good for digital camcorders.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Kenyth my friend, you're going to have to dumb that down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

Sorry..............

Simplified:

I have two 4 GB SD memory cards for trade. I will trade both for three 2 GB SD cards, or one for three 1 GB SD cards.

Be careful because not all devices are able to use the 4 GB cards. Your devices web site won't help because nobody can officially say their device will work with 4 GB cards. The orginal SD documentation says it's only rated for up to 2 GB per card even though some devices can use the 4GB cards. The only way to tell is for someone to test it out.

You can check online to see if someone has already tested your particular device for compatibility.

The reason I am trading is because I bought the cards not knowing that many devices cannot use them. Mine can't.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    HAHAHA
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    The reason I am trading is because I bought the cards not knowing that many devices cannot use them. Mine can't.
    Do you have a list of what devices the 4GB cards can be used for?
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    Do you have a list of what devices the 4GB cards can be used for?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. You can usually find the info doing a search online. Almost every device has a forum of some kind available. Because the SD technical specification was only written to support up to 2GB, nobody will actually come out and say they support the 4GB SD cards.

If you want me to research a specific device, I can help.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 06-13-2007 at 07:57 AM.

It appears that there is not much that can use a 4GB SD card based on your post. With that being said . . . why are they made? Or better questions . . . what DO they work with and why did you buy them?

Just curious really.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing View Post
    It appears that there is not much that can use a 4GB SD card based on your post. With that being said . . . why are they made? Or better questions . . . what DO they work with and why did you buy them?

Just curious really.
    I bought them because I foolishly assumed they would work in any SD device. I didn't research first.

From what I read there are a number of digital camera's and camcorders that work with them. Some of the other PDA's seem to be able to use them as well. It depends on the card reader component built into the device. Since the SD standard only states the 2 GB limit, engineers can buy whatever discrete components fit the bill. If they happen to buy supporting circuitry that is capable of exceeding the standard, then it's a bonus. If not, it's not on them because they are still meeting the written standard. According to some engineers, the 4GB cards are breaking the SD standard, and so should not be able to legally display the SD logo on their product. It doesn't seem to be stopping anyone though.

They are made because manufacturers found that it could be done and any edge on the big name memory card distributors is an edge. I must admit that I am not happy about them not being up front on the potential problems that they must know about but, them's the breaks!

Rest assured that anyone who want's to buy or trade them here will get them and be able to test them first. The only thing you'll risk is the postage.

I may be in luck. It now appears that the Dell Axim problem with large SD cards is software related. Windows Mobile 6 may fix that, and it has been released to developers. Some programmers have got a hold of the WM6 ROM file and finished the work on it. I've been following the development and bug fixes. A version now appears to be fully operational and ready to go! Not to mention better than the stock WM5 OS. It is written to fully utilize the hardware, and has removed "junk" programs that slow things down. At this point, everyone who is using it has good things to say. I think I'll give it a go. I will have to reinstall all of my apps, but them's the breaks!

Thread Information