Thread: can't get humidor to hold a constant humidity

1. Question can't get humidor to hold a constant humidity

Hi,
    Sorry to be a pain in the ass about this. I bought a cheap humidor. I have seasoned the humidor by taking a sponge and soaking the interior, I have also done the salt test as well.

The problem is I can't seem to get the humidor to keep can't hold a constant humidity.

The seal on the humidor seem fine,will try and post a picture of the humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by EWan154 View Post
    I bought a cheap humidor.
    There's your problem, along with the hygrometer that came supplied with the humidor. Either buy a quality humidor from somewhere like cubancrafters.com, or buy at least a 50 qt cooler. Then buy the beads from Heartfelt industries.

No more problems after that.

Small humi's tend to be tough to keep steady as well. Practically the entire air contents are exchanged every time you open it. I have had few problems since buying a cooler and keeping it filled with boxes. I also get a much better reading after buying a digital thermomoter/hygometer from Wal-Mart for about five bucks. It looks exactly the same as the one's cigar shops sell, only it's white plastic and cost less than 1/4 of the price.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

4. Default

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies

Do you think It would make any difference if I bought a new Hygrometer?

i was thinking about buying this humidor-do you think it would be any better?

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/first-...ar-p-1028.html

Heartfelt humidity beads and a digital hygrometer are the way to go with nearly any setup...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

6. Default

Is it possible to buy Heartfelt humidity beads in the uk? I'm not very sure about ordering them from the US-by the time they get over here they will probably be broken

Is it possible to buy Heartfelt humidity beads in the uk? I'm not very sure about ordering them from the US-by the time they get over here they will probably be broken
    I'm not sure about them shipping overseas, but they can't break. If a bead cracks it still works the same, its the material, not the shape. Plus they are tiny so a rough ride isn't going to do anything.

Honestly, if you want guaranteed humidity control with little maintenance, use the beads.

spiffy

What is the size of your humidor? If it is leaking, I'd put twice as much beads in the humidor to maintain the humidity or soak up excess humidity. Beads really do the trick. The more you have on hand, the faster and better it'll maintain the humidity in any humidor/coolidor. It's really a good investment, PLUS you don't even need to have a hygrometer.

I only put my hygrometer in my coolidor whenver I want to test out different humidity levels in each area of the cooler (to see if I need beads in a certain section of the coolidor). Other than that, I keep it in my humidor (because it has a glass top which makes it hard to maintain the humidity in the top tray). But, with beads covering most of the top tray, I have had no issues since. Good luck.

Andrew

9. Default

Here are some pictures of my humidator

Last edited by EWan154; 06-14-2007 at 01:47 PM.

The owner is a member on this site. Shoot him an email and I'm sure he'll get back to you quick.

What is your Humidity reading on average? Another thing is, the humidor should be practically full to give the best reading, but if it is still reading off, get the beads, a glad container that will fit in there, and fill it up. I purchased those glad plastic containers for snacks, and they are perfect. If your humidity is above 70%, don't add distilled water on the beads, let is soak up excess humidity. If it's still above 70%, then it's your hygrometer that's readying wrong.

Here are some pictures of my humidator

12. Default

Thanks for the replies everyone

Yea those are the best thing you can get to protect your investments.
    Brian Wells

Thread Information