Thread: Building a Humidor...

Default Building a Humidor...

Good Afternoon All,

My father in law and I are about to embark on what I HOPE is a wonderful journey...the construction of our first Humidor.

He's an avid woodworker, me an avid cigar collector, well smoker really :) Seems it would be a good match!

I'm wondering what sort of resources are out there, save the one book I found called 'Building Small Projects', copyrighted in 2004. There are about 8 good pages, but that's it.

My biggest concern are not dimensions, type of wood, or the like, it's the seal factor. I have a humidor now, but it's too small, so I'm looking to build my first humidor to hold about 100 smokes, if it goes well, maye we'll go bigger next time. I'm just worried that I'll have a beautiful Rosewood/Spanish Cedar lined box at the end...not a beautiful Rosewood/Spanish Cedar lined box that holds perfect humidity.

Any resources or advice would be much apprecaited.

Regards,

Mark

I've looked myself but haven't found anything that good. So are you making a cabinet humidor, or a desk top? Also are you running wires for an active humidification device or are you using a passive one?

I'm in the planning stages as well being an avid woodworker and newbie cigar smoker. I haven't found a single good, all inclusive reference on humidor building.

A good cabinetry or jewelry box book will probably be most helpful. Otherwise just seal the outer box before you put in the spanish cedar. Have the cedar stick up about 1/4" around the edge of the box and recess that much into the lid. This is how most desktop humis create a "seal".

I'm not sure about a cabinet humi though, but a cabinetry book will probably have some good ideas.

Good luck and have fun. Keep us updated on the progress.

spiffy

Hey Cigarfan...

It's not a desktop persay, while it will be larger than a typical desktop, but certainly no cabinet humidor either. Probably a 100 smoke box.

I plan on using an Oshkosh Humidification device at bottom of the box and mount a hygrometer to the bottom of the lid.

We're in the early stages, so if you've any suggestions of sorts, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Spiffy,

That's a good starting point for sure, with the recessed lid idea...it's somewhat like I have on my current smaller box...I suppose if it's not broke, don't fix it, eh? If it works on the one I have, no reason it can't work on the one I build either...

I'll definitely let you all know how it goes, and hopefully share some pics along the way...it'll take a while, but will be well worth it!

Cheers,

Mark

I'm in the same position, looking for plans to build a good humidor. Let me know if you find something. I'll post if I do.

I can tell you the biggest secret to building a humidor, As I have built one my self (A Cabinet type). A rock solid outer box is the biggest must. If the box alone will not hold humidity then the spanish cedar lining only helps somewhat. Once the box is built and the hinges placed. Place a small bright flashlight inside go into a dark room and look for how snugly the lid seats on the box bottom. (Thats why quality boxes use quadrant hinges. They leave a small amount of wood between the hinge and the edge of the box.)
    The cedar lining should be at cigar Humidity (72%) before being fastened into the box. You can do this by cutting it to size and putting it in a plastic bag or such with a hygrometer and humidity solution, and let it stabilize. When you put it in the box don't go crazy with the glue. Just enought to hold the pieces in, remember it all has to expand and contract as your humidity and temperature flucuate by even a few degrees. For the best seal the bottom cedar lining should protrude up into the lid 1/4 - 3/8 " . You may have to round over the edge a bit to get the lid to clear this. But for a good seal. Have a cedar lining in the lid that comes down to rest on the one from the bottom. The next box I make I am going to try and make these overlap by making the bottom one bevel inward and the top bevel out.
    If you f-i-l is a good woodworker he should have not problem doing this.

When you do the 45* corners look into getting a locking miter router bit. Make the box all four sided and top and bottom as one unit then use a table saw to cut the lid from the unit.
    Go to www.heirloomhumidors.com and look under the craftmanship area.

9. Default Just can't be done....

Popular Mechanics had an article a while back.....

Anyway...I don;t need no COMPETITION!

Thanks to all for the tips...I will definitely take them all to the drawing board!!

On a side...Mr. Liss...I'm curious what can't be done? Building a beautiful and functional humidor? I hope not, as then we'd all have to sue for false advertisement based on your web-site, because you do exquisite work!

Cheers,

Mark

11. Default Alll my pictures are fakes!

Enjoy whatever you wind up making, the experience will be worth the time.

Thats the real reason I do what I do, for the joy....

Appreciate it Mr. Liss...if at the end, it resembles a rectangle of sorts, is pretty and shiney, and won't ruin all my cigars, I'll be happy...

Cheers,

Mark

Thread Information