Thread: CAR PROBLEM - gear box

Default CAR PROBLEM - gear box

i found a car that i would like to purchase, however there is a small problem that i find annoying with it which has stopped me from buying it.

it is an auto but the gear box is shifted upward. there is no park, and P is actually R, N is D, and so on. in order to put the car in park you have to put on the emergency parking break on. i was wondering if anyone knows if this is a hard problem to fix and how much it might cost me.

its an 88 mark vii.

-victor

Hard to say. Could be a small 10$ fix, or the tranny could be on it's way out. My suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic and have it inspected if you are serious about buying it. Should only be a hundred bucks or so and could save a lot of headaches in the future.
    Last edited by drew_goring; 07-08-2007 at 06:17 PM.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

88 Mark VII take it to a Lincoln dealer. I will ask one of the techs in the morning what it could be and get back to you.

Has anyone else worked on the transmission previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin390 View Post
    88 Mark VII take it to a Lincoln dealer. I will ask one of the techs in the morning what it could be and get back to you.

Has anyone else worked on the transmission previously?
    i dont think so. i only went to take a look at it last week and thats one of the problems that the car had.

I would definately let someone look at it. With experience with cars/trucks (fair amount), I would think that if the transmission shift fine, then it shouldn't be an expensive problem.

My dad had this problem on an old buick when i was in high school. I remember it shifted fine but the "park" was inaccessible. Took it to a dealer and while it wasn't a $20 fix, it still wasn't that bad, like $80 to $100 i think.

Definitely get it inspected by a mechanic before you purchase though. I've done this with every car I've purchased and its saved me a lot of cash more than once.

spiffy

well i talked to the seller again and he said he installed the cable himself which is why its a little short. and yes, it does shift fine.

how much do you think this would cost to get a new cable attached?

thanks for all the imput so far!

Thread Information