Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $10 per stick cigar tax?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    Can someone type up a well worded statement? I'm no good at that stuff. Don't want to write the congressmen and sound stupid.

Use this link, http://capwiz.com/rtda/issues/alert/?alertid=10008296

once you enter your zip, there will be a text box with "pre-written well worded statements" on the right hand side, just click on one or more and yoou're all set.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Well, my message got through to Bush and Kay Baily Hutchinson. It took me like ten tries to get a message through to Cornyn; his stupid website kept timing out. Booooo Cornyn, upgrade your servers!!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Well, my message got through to Bush and Kay Baily Hutchinson. It took me like ten tries to get a message through to Cornyn; his stupid website kept timing out. Booooo Cornyn, upgrade your servers!!!
    According to Cornyn he opposes the bill anyways, not because of cigars but because this is a gimmicky and short sighted way to fund an important health care program. So we're good there.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    According to Cornyn he opposes the bill anyways, not because of cigars but because this is a gimmicky and short sighted way to fund an important health care program. So we're good there.

spiffy
    OK, good, where or when did he say that?

5. Default

Here is the response I received from Mel Martinez (FL):

Thank you for contacting me regarding the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond.

The State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) enables states to provide coverage for low-income children with no health insurance in families with incomes higher than Medicaid eligibility levels. States are provided with three-year block grants from the federal government in order to administer these programs.

On February 5, 2007, President George W. Bush submitted his fiscal year 2008 budget request to Congress. This request proposes reauthorizing the SCHIP program for five years and increase SCHIP allotments by $5 billion. In addition, it encourages states to focus SCHIP on low-income, uninsured children below 200 percent of the Federal poverty level.

There are several proposals before Congress which would expand the SCHIP program to include millions of children and adults – many of whom already have coverage. In order to fund the $50 billion expansion, these proposals would raise the federal excise tax on tobacco by 61 cents and would cut funding to the Medicare Advantage program.

It is critical to our national economy that Congress act responsibly with taxpayer dollars when reauthorizing SCHIP. The Urban Institute recently released a study on the number of children eligible for SCHIP but who are not currently covered. They found that there are 690,000 children without coverage, which is far below the 9 million estimated by proponents of SCHIP expansion.

The mission of SCHIP is to ensure that low-income children have access to quality and effective health care. I will continue to work with my colleagues in the Senate to ensure that the “C” in SCHIP continues to stand for children, and that your tax dollars continue to support a program with proven results.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    OK, good, where or when did he say that?
    That's what i got on the phone with an aide, plus from a reply email. Here's a clip:

Dear Mr. Ingram:

Thank you for [blah blah blah blah blah]

[blah blah blah blah blah blah blah]...I believe Congress should not rely on budgetary gimmicks or tax increases. Instead, Congress should focus on eliminating wasteful government spending. In fact, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), an independent, investigative arm of Congress, has identified billions of dollars in federal expenditures that are vulnerable to waste, fraud, and abuse. The GAO found that more than 10 percent of SCHIP enrollees are actually adults whose participation in SCHIP is diverting funds from the needs of low-income children. Instead of raising taxes, Congress should strengthen SCHIP by considering the President’s proposal to terminate or reduce the budgets of over 140 inefficient or ineffective government programs.

[blah blah blah blah blah blah]

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

spiffy

I have not heard back from Pres. Bush yet, but I hope to soon.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    I have not heard back from Pres. Bush yet, but I hope to soon.

me neither. I have gotten in contact w/ my senators, but they are both for the bill. I sure hope Bush vetos it.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

I got the same form letter response from Martinez:

Dear Mr. Gonzalez:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond.

The State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) enables states to provide coverage for low-income children with no health insurance in families with incomes higher than Medicaid eligibility levels. States are provided with three-year block grants from the federal government in order to administer these programs.

On February 5, 2007, President George W. Bush submitted his fiscal year 2008 budget request to Congress. This request proposes reauthorizing the SCHIP program for five years and increase SCHIP allotments by $5 billion. In addition, it encourages states to focus SCHIP on low-income, uninsured children below 200 percent of the Federal poverty level.

There are several proposals before Congress which would expand the SCHIP program to include millions of children and adults – many of whom already have coverage. In order to fund the $50 billion expansion, these proposals would raise the federal excise tax on tobacco by 61 cents and would cut funding to the Medicare Advantage program.

It is critical to our national economy that Congress act responsibly with taxpayer dollars when reauthorizing SCHIP. The Urban Institute recently released a study on the number of children eligible for SCHIP but who are not currently covered. They found that there are 690,000 children without coverage, which is far below the 9 million estimated by proponents of SCHIP expansion.

The mission of SCHIP is to ensure that low-income children have access to quality and effective health care. I will continue to work with my colleagues in the Senate to ensure that the “C” in SCHIP continues to stand for children, and that your tax dollars continue to support a program with proven results.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator
    Nothing back from Bill Nelson, granted I think being a Democrat he will be all for this bill. It kind of pisses me off Mel Martinez would support this legislation. Not only is his party supposed to be anti tax, but he's Cuban American. Most of the cigar business in the State of Florida is run by Cuban Americans.

And this is why I'm happily independent.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Up here in my province there is a 56% tax on all tobacco imports that the retailer pays, then more tax on the consumer when he buys. SUUUUUCKS.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

11. Default Another e-mail to be read by a staffer....

Sent my e-mails to Senators Bunning and McConnell of KY. They're both Republicans, so I'm assuming they're already against this. As recently as a few years ago, I could have guaranteed any Kentucky politician would line up to defend the tobacco industry, but since the federal government ended tobacco subsidies a couple of years ago, far fewer people here still grow it...

Oh well here's hoping for the best...God I hate my Macanudos being lumped in with cigarettes...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee244 View Post
    Oh well here's hoping for the best...God I hate my Macanudos being lumped in with cigarettes...
    Depending on which Macanudo and who you ask, they already are...
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Three E-mails went out today. We'll see if we get a response.

Blog Entries

I found the tax bill if you want to read it..

Heath Act S.1834

Now, what is really scary is this...

Under Bill Summary & Status file

S.1834
    Title: A bill to improve the health of Americans through the gradual elimination of tobacco products.

Sponsor: Sen Enzi, Michael B. [WY] (introduced 7/19/2007) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 7/19/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.

We are watching Cigar Prohibition slowly happen...

They'll have to lock me up and tie me down to keep me from doing what is not illegal and doesn't hurt anyone (except maybe me, and that's my own damn business). If women can claim "it's my body and I make decisions about my body", then so can we.

16. Default

Couldn't find the bill on THOMAS...are you sure that's the right number?

BTW, another political sign of the apocalypse: Louisville, KY (my nearest major city) has joined Lexington with a smoking ban, effective everywhere except Churchill Downs (so our celebrities, politicos, and campaign contributors can puff away undisturbed on Derby Day, I suppose). The two major cities in a tobacco state banning smoking...makes me wish I still lived in Baton Rouge...

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    Depending on which Macanudo and who you ask, they already are...
    They're Maduros, thank you very much! At least they WERE...my obsession of the moment is the Hemingway Short Story...mmmm...

BTW my first two posts on this forum have been made in this thread...I feel so very political and righteous now.
    Last edited by cherokee244; 07-27-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Interesting. Yes that was the bill last night when I looked it up. Checking to see if it's been taken out.

Blog Entries

Found it...it's still there.

CLICK HERE

If that don't work, then CLICK HERE, this is the Senate Bills list. From here, scroll down to 1826 and there you will find the HEALTH Act (Introduced in Senate) [S.1834.IS]. Read to your d lite.

Lopaka

fucking scary.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Done!

Our government has long ago stopped representing "we the people". I hope they still listen to us even a little bit and will stop this insanity.

Greg

Thread Information