Thread: Tobacco put under FDA control?

Blog Entries

Default Tobacco put under FDA control?

It really seems like Congress is set to change the Tobacco industry one way or another. I'm kind of curious how something like this would affect cigars. While I agree that someone should be keeping tabs as to what chemicals get put into cigarettes, Cigars a natural leaf. What do you guys think?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8QJJG881.htm

A Senate panel is nearing a vote on a proposal to put tobacco under Food and Drug Administration regulation despite objections that such a move would only entrench the market position of the nation's No. 1 tobacco company.

The bill, which was expected to be approved Wednesday by the Senate health committee and is identical to House legislation, would give the FDA the same authority over cigarettes and other tobacco products that the regulatory agency now has over drugs, food, medical devices and other consumer products.

Specifically, it would let the FDA regulate the levels of tar, nicotine and other harmful components of tobacco products. Cigarette smoke alone contains some 4,000 chemicals, more than 40 of which are known to cause cancer. It also would restrict advertising.

The bill has broad bipartisan support though some Republican lawmakers believe it will do nothing to stop people from smoking. President Bush, FDA commissioner Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach and Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt oppose the legislation.

Philip Morris USA, maker of Marlboro, the nation's top-selling cigarette brand, supports the bill. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. and others oppose the legislation, saying it would help cement Philip Morris as the market leader.
    Smoking now kills more than 400,000 people a year. It accounts for nearly one in five deaths in the United States.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Something definitely needs to be done about all the chemicals going into cigarettes. There's not even that much tobacco in them. I think it would be a good thing. Shouldn't affect cigars (hand rolled) at all since they're made from 100% leaf.
    Brian Wells

I don't think this will affect cigars much if at all as they are 100% tobacco. But I wouldn't be surprised if the pleasure gestapo use the FDA to harrass and destroy all tobacco-related industries, I have so little faith in the federal government.....
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    I don't think this will affect cigars much if at all as they are 100% tobacco. But I wouldn't be surprised if the pleasure gestapo use the FDA to harrass and destroy all tobacco-related industries, I have so little faith in the federal government.....
    Amen!! My concern is that the distinction between cig's and cigars will be lost in the goverments zeal to protect us from ourselves.......

Thread Information