Thread: Ways to spice up grilled salmon?

1. Default Ways to spice up grilled salmon?

I bought a quarter pound of some the other night just to see what I could do with it but I ended up only putting some Tony Cachere's seasoning on it since everything I had was for beef. While it wasn't bad it was just a bit too fishy and after the first bite I could tell it needed some lemon or lime or something.

What do you guys use? The only other way I know to make fish is deep fry catfish.

Do builders use cedar shakes (singles) to side house in your neck of the woods. If so, get two un-treated cedar shakes that are each longer and wider than your salmon fillet. Next lay one down and turn the other 180 degrees and lay it on top of the first. Because shakes are tapered this will form a flat board with almost even thickness. Next, spread some veg. oil on the cedar, lay the salmon on the board skin side down, sprinkle the fillet with salt, pepper and dill weed. Now wrap the entire set up, wood and all in a couple pieces of aluminum foil. Put a little no-stick spray or veg. oil on the first piece of foil that is going to be in contact with the fillet.

Now place fish side down on a hot grill for about 5 min. More or less depending on the size and thickness of the fillet. Then flip is over and cook for about 15 min wood side down. (again, depending on the size the time may be less)

After about 5 min. you will start to see smoke and smell this wonderful cedar aroma. Ten min. later or so, remove the package from the grill, cut open the top and remove the fish. Now you have fresh, cedar smoked salmon with dill.

Mix some chopped capers, lemon juice and sour cream together for a little topping.

Way simple, no clean up, just toss the cedar. Don't try to reuse it and don't waste your money on a cedar grilling plank.

Bonus - cedar smoke salmon goes great with cigars.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 07-20-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

I've done what Tyler speaks of and it's good.

Here's another idea:

make a paste of mayo and Dijon mustard (amount of mustard to taste, I use 2 parts mayo to 1 part mustard). Coat the fish with that and lay on a couple of sprigs of fresh dill. Wrap that in tin foil, folding the edges so it's sealed, and then wrap it again same way.

Toss it on the top rack of the BBQ on med-low heat. You'll smell it when it's done, ~ 20 minutes.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

4. Default

One of my neighbors suggested marinating it in Italian dressing. I've done this before on a cheap cut of red meat that I wanted to grill to flavor it up but never tried it on fish. You guys might want to try it as well.

Old Bay + Lemon Pepper = Superior Spices for Grilled salmon, just sprinkle just enough to cover both sides...then grill it up and its delicious!

Make a melted butter/garlic paste/lemon juice sauce and put over the fish after cooking, it makes it taste divine!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information