Thread: Hand rolling questions.

Question Hand rolling questions.

I've got a 6 month paid vacation coming up (thanks to the Canadian Army causing a pretty severe injury to my back) and will have time to kill.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at rolling my own cigars. I already have a line on a kilo of ISOM tobacco (a mix of Ligero and Seco leaves).

I'm wondering aproximately how many lets say Toro sized (6X50) cigars that would roll.

Also, what wood is used to make the molds, I'd rather just build my own instead of paying double for the shipping of old molds.

Thanks guys.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

You might try asking the guy you bought the leaf from, as he is very knowledgeable about cigar rolling. Also, there are lots on ebay at reasonable prices.

No clue, but please update the thread as you figure it out and post some pics of your production. I've always been interested in doing this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    No clue, but please update the thread as you figure it out and post some pics of your production. I've always been interested in doing this myself.
    x2

I'd appreciate a detailed review w/ plenty of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I'm wondering approximately how many lets say Toro sized (6X50) cigars that would roll.

Also, what wood is used to make the molds, I'd rather just build my own instead of paying double for the shipping of old molds.
    I've gotten one of the questions answered so far. Apparently there's approximately 12 grams of tobacco in a Robusto. That works out to just over 80 cigars per kilo.

I'm still trying to figure out what type of wood to use for the molds. I'm guessing some kind of hardwood, but I'm not sure if Spanish Cedar or Oak would work better.

As I get more info I'll keep this thread updated and once I get the mold made and the tobacco in I'll start a new one with my hand rolling progress.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what type of wood to use for the molds. I'm guessing some kind of hardwood, but I'm not sure if Spanish Cedar or Oak would work better.
    I am quite sure it doesn't matter what type of wood you use for this (so long as it's not super smelly, wet or painted with lead paint), because many molds are now plastic.

Roll away. I'm also interested in seeing your results.
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Keep in mind the amounts you will be cutting off to make them straight, the amounts used and discarded for a wrapper. You may also end up making alot of mixed filler cigars. Keep in mind it looks alot easier than it actually is. Making them is one thing even if it is ugly. Making them so they burn even and draw smoothly is another art form in itself.

Sorry to hear about your injury...that sucks.

I think it's great you're going to give this a whirl, should be fun and I bet you'll learn a ton about cigars, which is why we're all here, I suspect...Certainly is the case for me anyway.

Please do spend a bit of time telling us how things are going, as I'm sure I'm not the only one really interested in seeing your first hand rolled smoke!

To a healthy recovery!

Mark

If you've really got the itch (as well as time and money), I think there is a shop in Austin, Bobalu I think, that does a type of "school" for rolling cigars.

I've been by their shop on 6th St. and they always have someone rolling cigars in their front window. If anything, they might be a good source for the tools of the trade

Keep us updated and have a quick recovery.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    If you've really got the itch (as well as time and money), I think there is a shop in Austin, Bobalu I think, that does a type of "school" for rolling cigars.

I've been by their shop on 6th St. and they always have someone rolling cigars in their front window. If anything, they might be a good source for the tools of the trade

Keep us updated and have a quick recovery.

spiffy
    They are one of the only sources that I have found for the tools. However, I'll probably make my own molds. I'll be picking up a few things from them in the coming weeks.

Just as an FYI for anyone else looking into rolling their own cigars I thought I'd include the price list that Jeff from Bobalu Cigar Co sent me.

Wrappers
    Habana2000 $45.00/lb
    Sumatran $45.00/lb
    Connecticut shade $45.00/lb
    Habana98 $45.00/lb
    Brazilian Maduro $45.00/lb

Glue $20.00/lb

Molds $65.00ea.
    Chaveta $30.00
    Board $50.00
    Table cutter $150.00
    Press $200-300

Heya Corvin,

get well soon dude! Anyhow, check this out:

http://www.coffinails.com/cigars.html

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Cool stuff man.
    I'm interested to see how it goes. Are all of the tobacos already aged?
    what kinda wrapper are you thinking of using?
    Definately keep us updated.

Default cigar mold

I came across this cigar mold on cbid and thought about this thread.

Authentic Caribe Inc. Wooden Cigar Mold
    http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=477668
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by chadth View Post
    I came across this cigar mold on cbid and thought about this thread.

Authentic Caribe Inc. Wooden Cigar Mold
    http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=477668
    Would love it but Cbid doesn't ship to Canada (thankfully the devil site can't get me up here although it's tried).

This is on hold temporarily, I'm moving in November so I'll have more space then. I'll probably start building my own molds mid November or early December.

Thread Information