Thread: high humidor temp

Default high humidor temp

so it hasnt really happened yet, but when it gets hotter in the summer, what would be a good way to keep the temp down in the humi? Besides getting a air conditioner in the room, maybe keeping a fan on it?

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    so it hasnt really happened yet, but when it gets hotter in the summer, what would be a good way to keep the temp down in the humi? Besides getting a air conditioner in the room, maybe keeping a fan on it?
    Not to get too simplistic, but if your house has more than one floor, you ought to keep it on the main floor. I have my coolidors in the basement, which is the perfect environment, but may not be so in your case. Of course, keep it out of direct sunlight. I'd also try and keep the thermostat on a good cool temp if you can help it, and if the wife will let you. The latter piece of advice usually handles the problem, at least it does for me.

If you got the cash you can get a Wine Cooler for fairly cheap at WalMart or KMart. You can set these to stay at 68 degrees.

whats the highest i should let it get in the humi? no more than 75?

75 and above is when you have to start worrying about the dreaded evil tobacco beetles.

how would they get inside to begin with?

I suppose their eggs are in the tobacco and when you have that high of a temp you run the risk of hatching them
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Yep they are already in the tobacco.

I like the taste of tobacco beetle eggs! YUMM
    Last edited by Roham; 05-28-2005 at 02:42 AM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    how would they get inside to begin with?
    Right from the fields. Just think about it, with every puff-you are sucking beetle guts.

alright, for about a week, the humi has been like 77 or so, for part of the day, and today at one point it was 88 in the damn thing until i brought it near the air conditioner, so if there was any beetles in the cigars i would imagine that they have hatched already, would it take long before i'd be able to notice them? and if there arent any in the cigars, would any be able to get into the cigars, or does that only happens from the beginning of the cigar making process? So in other words, if i have no beetles in them, theres no chance of them getting into the cigars unless from a new cigar that i get that has the eggs in them already, correct?

12. Default

I belive i read somewear there almost micro scopic and they will just eat your cigars inside out. and if you smoke them there will be little pops

but this is just what i read i have not confirened it..

Default Quiet C

Don't panic!

True, cigar beetle eggs can be in any tobacco leaf. But just because your humidor's temp is high doesn't mean that you are going to get tobacco beetles.

First of all, the 75 degree temp is a myth. Tobacco beetle eggs can hatch at 65 degrees. It's a proven fact.

Knock on wood, in summers past my room got quite warm. Well into the supposed egg hatching range and I never once saw a beetle. Again I'm knocking on wood!

The tobacco industry takes lots of precautions against tobacco beetles. Many large distributors such as JR even freeze their inventory as it arrives, or so I was told by Lew Rothman once on an internet chat at JR's. Or was is Steve Saka? No matter. Don't go and freeze your cigars.

Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible. Just uncommon in todays market.

If I remember right, the highest risk comes from some Cuban sources and some of the small, kitchy boutique rollers that put out small batches with little quality control.

If you are still concerned, check your smokes regularly. Look for tiny holes in the wrapper the size of a pinhead, reddish dust in the box and of course the actual beetles.

You mentioned that you have an air conditioner in the room. Do you run it all day if it is hot? You should for the sake of maintaining rh as well as a stable temp. When the temp rises so does the humidity in the humidor.
    Last edited by MMAB; 06-19-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Default cooling et al

FANS do not cool. they only move air
    you feel cool when a fans blows on you, because of one of two things.

1) you are warmer than the ambient air, so you lose heat to the air
    2) you are wet and the water is evaporating in the air stream, you feel cooler
    because you lose energy to let the water evaporate..

that is what sweating is designed to do

will it cool your humidor? NO

it is not warmer than ambient, and you don't want it to lose water from evaporation.

fan in a humidor, that is tightly closed, helps keep the top /bottom/front/ back temp and humidity even.

Never aim a fan at a humidor!!.

Blog Entries

HEY JIM!!!

Glad you found us!!!

Jim (maltman) is 100% correct, don't aim a fan at a humidor. Humidor seals are never perfectly tight so all you will do is force your humidification unit to do more work than necessary.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information