Thread: Cedar boards

Blog Entries

Default Cedar boards

I'm putting together a new coolidor, and can't seem to find any cedar boards labeled as "Spanish Cedar". I did find some nice size peices at Lowes, (made for closet organizers), that are the perfect size, and very aromatic.

My question is this: would this red cedar be OK to use with cigars? I don't know much about different kinds of cedar, but this stuff looks quite a bit more red than the inside of any humidor I've ever seen.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

no no no... spanish cedar is not like other cedars... i think its technicly a mahogany or something... someone whip out some facts here... i just know, its gotta be spanish cedar or some other specific wood that isn;t a cedar at all, dont remember what though. ...

Edit: Ok i did some digging with the search function and came up with this website: http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor...cedar-1-1.php3

looks like red cedar is OK, but frowned upon... i found spanish cedar at a little store called 'woodcraft' , but thats kind of a specialty woodworkers' store, there are a few threads about buying it online, use the search to find em.
    Last edited by ReV; 07-23-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, after doing a bit of google.. you're right, spanish cedar is not t true cedar, its a decidious tree similliar to mahogany

I guess I'll just use a bunch of old cigar boxes for a humidity "buffer".

Thanks

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Some where on the site is a thread about Spanish cedar and where to buy it, decent price per board foot if I remember correctly.

The odor of other cedars has a lot to do with using Spanish cedar

Do not use the red cedar meant for lining closets, trust me. It smells great for closets, but you don't want to use it in a small confined area with cigars, it'll make you ill.
    I made some racks for cigar boxes out of the everyday cedar found in wood section, and it works good in my case. Don't know if you want to use a large amount of it, as it does still give off a heavy non spanish cedar odor, not nearly overwhelming as the aromatic though.

No need to put any addition cedar into the cooler.... grab a couple of empty boxes from your local B&M, that will be plenty.

As for shelves... I used that wire shelf stuff you find at Home Depot or Lowes.... it can be cut down and also lets air circulate

I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

oh snap.... coolidor? i missed that, yeah, just put your sticks in old cigar boxes if you really have to have the wood... thats all i do.

Yeah, I just got a bunch of old cedar boxes from my local B&M.

If you really need Spanish Cedar boards though, I usually go here if I can't find it at a local lumber yard:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=832

They also have mahogany if you prefer.

spiffy

Blog Entries

Thanks all...

I have about 6 old boxes in there now, and humidity recovers pretty fast after opening, so I think I'm ok.

I may be ordering some boards for an upcoming project though

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information