Thread: Cigar Register, new version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cigar Register, new version

So a little search showed me that the cigar register software seemed to have promise if the bugs were fixed. They've released a new version and I was wondering if anyone has any current opinions of it. Seems kind of cool with an updateable (is that a word?) database, humidor tracking and stats, and keeping track of personal ratings.

I'm wondering if its worth taking the time to put in my collection or if its still buggy. I'm probably going to download it tonight.

spiffy

Blog Entries

I played around with it last year at some point, it had a lot of potential, just had quite a few bugs. I also didn't like the fact that the database was not exportable (maybe that's changed?). It might be worth checking out again.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Well I've decided its worth a try at least.

I'll post my feelings on it tomorrow.

spiffy

So I tried out the latest version (2.0) of the cigar register software. Overall I really like the program. Its simple and intuitive. Plus the humidor tracking is pretty cool.

I have 2 problems with it though. First is that the global cigar database is woefully incomplete. The solution to this is supposedly the new sync feature, but alas this doesn't seem to be working for me, as I haven't been able to get it to connect in the last 2 days.

Overall its a nice program, just not worth the time for me to have to input a bunch of different cigars because they are not in the database.

spiffy

I've tried several times to download from cigarregister.com, without success. I suspect they are hosting the site on their "home" system on cable or dsl, which have very slow upload speeds.

Has anyone had success downloading from them recently? Anyone have contact information for their site or developer. I could probably provide a faster ftp site for them if interested.

Cheers,

Rusty

Exclamation

Just received a pleasant email from Peter Agardi, a developer of CigarRegister software. They are in Hungary, which likely explains the downloading problems.

The new download located at (url removed per their request )which is a temporary location. I do not know how long it will be available on that link.

Cheers,

Rusty
    Last edited by ralford; 11-30-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries

I just tried to download it and got an error that the free service was at capacity and to try again later or upgrade and pay to download it.....

Probably just overloaded at the moment. I downloaded it without problems earlier today. If it continues to be a problem, I'll see if they would mind me hosting it on my site for the group.

I have installed the program and it runs fine. Haven't been able to work with it much, however, it looks like a professional piece of software.

Cheers,

Rusty

Based in Hungary? I would be very wary of downloading any program from Eastern Europe as the region is full of scammers and outright online thieves.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Good point and one that I had overlooked. However, I have the usual array of anti-virus and firewall defenses and not were set off when I installed and ran the software. Now that is not a guarantee, but I feel adequately safe with the software. That fact they personally responded to a query adds to my confidence.

BTW, they have asked that I not post the direct download link -- too late for that. However, I understand they are most interested in making sure it is registered. If you happen to use the direct link I think we owe them the respect of registering on their site.

Cheers - just located another cigar bar in Tulsa looks like we are moving in the 20th century (sic).

Rusty

Thread Information