Thread: Cigar Register, new version

Default Cigar Register, new version

So a little search showed me that the cigar register software seemed to have promise if the bugs were fixed. They've released a new version and I was wondering if anyone has any current opinions of it. Seems kind of cool with an updateable (is that a word?) database, humidor tracking and stats, and keeping track of personal ratings.

I'm wondering if its worth taking the time to put in my collection or if its still buggy. I'm probably going to download it tonight.

spiffy

Blog Entries

I played around with it last year at some point, it had a lot of potential, just had quite a few bugs. I also didn't like the fact that the database was not exportable (maybe that's changed?). It might be worth checking out again.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Well I've decided its worth a try at least.

I'll post my feelings on it tomorrow.

spiffy

So I tried out the latest version (2.0) of the cigar register software. Overall I really like the program. Its simple and intuitive. Plus the humidor tracking is pretty cool.

I have 2 problems with it though. First is that the global cigar database is woefully incomplete. The solution to this is supposedly the new sync feature, but alas this doesn't seem to be working for me, as I haven't been able to get it to connect in the last 2 days.

Overall its a nice program, just not worth the time for me to have to input a bunch of different cigars because they are not in the database.

spiffy

I've tried several times to download from cigarregister.com, without success. I suspect they are hosting the site on their "home" system on cable or dsl, which have very slow upload speeds.

Has anyone had success downloading from them recently? Anyone have contact information for their site or developer. I could probably provide a faster ftp site for them if interested.

Cheers,

Rusty

Exclamation

Just received a pleasant email from Peter Agardi, a developer of CigarRegister software. They are in Hungary, which likely explains the downloading problems.

The new download located at (url removed per their request )which is a temporary location. I do not know how long it will be available on that link.

Cheers,

Rusty
    Last edited by ralford; 11-30-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries

I just tried to download it and got an error that the free service was at capacity and to try again later or upgrade and pay to download it.....

Probably just overloaded at the moment. I downloaded it without problems earlier today. If it continues to be a problem, I'll see if they would mind me hosting it on my site for the group.

I have installed the program and it runs fine. Haven't been able to work with it much, however, it looks like a professional piece of software.

Cheers,

Rusty

Based in Hungary? I would be very wary of downloading any program from Eastern Europe as the region is full of scammers and outright online thieves.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Good point and one that I had overlooked. However, I have the usual array of anti-virus and firewall defenses and not were set off when I installed and ran the software. Now that is not a guarantee, but I feel adequately safe with the software. That fact they personally responded to a query adds to my confidence.

BTW, they have asked that I not post the direct download link -- too late for that. However, I understand they are most interested in making sure it is registered. If you happen to use the direct link I think we owe them the respect of registering on their site.

Cheers - just located another cigar bar in Tulsa looks like we are moving in the 20th century (sic).

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    Good point and one that I had overlooked. However, I have the usual array of anti-virus and firewall defenses and not were set off when I installed and ran the software. Now that is not a guarantee, but I feel adequately safe with the software. That fact they personally responded to a query adds to my confidence.

BTW, they have asked that I not post the direct download link -- too late for that. However, I understand they are most interested in making sure it is registered. If you happen to use the direct link I think we owe them the respect of registering on their site.

Cheers - just located another cigar bar in Tulsa looks like we are moving in the 20th century (sic).

Rusty
    Hell, that's great news, my parents have bought some property between Tulsa and Muskogee and it's good to know I will have someplace to smoke when I visit. I know for sure they won't let me smoke cigars in their house,and visting for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, I know it gets damn cold up there, so smoking outside ain't an option either.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Hell, that's great news, my parents have bought some property between Tulsa and Muskogee and it's good to know I will have someplace to smoke when I visit. I know for sure they won't let me smoke cigars in their house,and visting for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, I know it gets damn cold up there, so smoking outside ain't an option either.
    PM me when you are headed for Tulsa and I'll give you directions, or perhaps join you for a smoke. I know of 3-4 cigar lounge/bars in the area It does get a bit chilly here - found myself on the deck in a parka last night

Rusty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ralford
    PM me when you are headed for Tulsa and I'll give you directions, or perhaps join you for a smoke. I know of 3-4 cigar lounge/bars in the area It does get a bit chilly here - found myself on the deck in a parka last night

Rusty
    No kidding CNB....maybe we can all 3 hook up and smoke one .....let us know when/if you have firm plans. I travel to Tulsa on business fairly frequently.....herf on an expense account, just couldn't beat it.

I would like to meet the destroyer of safiness in person......

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post

Rusty
    Alrighty, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    No kidding CNB....maybe we can all 3 hook up and smoke one .....let us know when/if you have firm plans. I travel to Tulsa on business fairly frequently.....herf on an expense account, just couldn't beat it.

I would like to meet the destroyer of safiness in person......
    Ok, I look forward to meeting y'all too.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    maybe we can all 3 hook up

not a gay bar

sure.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Default Thread Bump

Okay Guys and gals, just wanted to know if any of you were still using the Cigar Register software or if you had given up. I installed it when this thread originally opened and have been usig it for the past eight months. Althought it is pretty good it has a few drawbacks that I don't care for. If any of you are using it tell us about your experience with it.
    Gene

I never installed it but if you have been using it for 8 months how has it been working for you?

The program works good. But, as I said it has a few drawbacks.

It's kind of slow to open for starters
    I have had to add a lot of cigars to the data base
    If you smoke as many cigars a day as I do it's hard to remember which humi you got then out of. I have nine, I guess I could just list them all as 'cigar collection'.
    Finding cigars on the data base can be a pain, just to inventory them in.
    It will zero out cigars from your humi but it leaves them in as zero, so you may have several different cigars in your humi but it will have many more listed in there as '0'. It would be better if they just 'unlisted' from the humi.
    The Smokeroom for reviews just isn't my way of reviewing cigars. To me a review is more about comments than numbers. I have reviewed cigars for a couple of B&M's and cigars that come out good in numbers (merits such as looks, roll, lighting, burning, smoke volume, and all the rest), can be crap when it comes to flavors and enjoyment.
    It does tell you how many cigars are in your total humidors but it doesn't give you the value of the total, if you go through the trouble of inputing in the cost of each cigar it sould be able to tell to the total value of all your inventory

The program works fine but needs to be set up a little more globally. If I could write program I could make it a lot more user friendly. Of course to use an inventory program you have to be anal retentive and I only am on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.

Gene
    Last edited by BunkyX; 05-13-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Thread Information