Thread: in the wrapper or out?

1. Default in the wrapper or out?

I've recently stocked my humi, I'm pleased to see much more stable humidity in there with it full, but a new question is created:

should I leave the cigars in thier protective cellophane wrappers or take them out? I understand the wrapper is for the protection of the stogie during shipping and handling, but will they come to the magic best smoke possible range more quickly without the wrappers? I assume yes, but figure I'll ask you veterans first.

thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by maademperor View Post
    I've recently stocked my humi, I'm pleased to see much more stable humidity in there with it full, but a new question is created:

should I leave the cigars in thier protective cellophane wrappers or take them out? I understand the wrapper is for the protection of the stogie during shipping and handling, but will they come to the magic best smoke possible range more quickly without the wrappers? I assume yes, but figure I'll ask you veterans first.

thanks for the input!
    Personally I take then out of the cellophane unless I plan on taking them with me in my little leather two finger case (I prefer the extra protection).
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

This question is on par with which came first...the chicken or the egg. It's purely your preference.

i like to keep the wrapper on my cigars. most of your flavors come from it. Plus, the binder's just not a pretty.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Do a search and you'll find many threads on this very topic, ultimately deciding that it really doesn't matter. For me it's off.

My reasons to keep 'em on:
    1/ Less chance of damaging sticks while handling them.
    2/ A nice yellowed wrapper can tell you it's contents have slept well.
    3/ When you hand them out they appear more hygienic.

My reasons to strip 'em off:
    1/ I'm not usually juggling or sword fighting with them anyway.
    2/ I've got a pretty good idea of how long most have been sleeping.
    3/ I save a few wrappers and re-bag 'em if necessary.
    4/ It's easier to get a good feel/sound for how well humidored (yea I know, probably not a real word) they are when gently squeezing them and listening.
    5/ Most of mine don't have wrappers anyway, and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for your 'domesticks'.
    6/ I think they look better without the plastic.
    7/ No chance of accidentally lighting up a plastic wrapper while in an alcoholic haze.

Basically reasons 6 and 7 (specially 7) clinched the deal for me.
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    My reasons to keep 'em on:
    7/ No chance of accidentally lighting up a plastic wrapper while in an alcoholic haze.
    Hehehehehehe. I never thought of that one, but definitely important!

and I definitely agree with using the search. You'll get a dozen reason for both sides, and you'll still make the choice based on personal preference. Try it both ways ans see which you like better.

I keep 'em the way they came, some with and some without cello.

spiffy

More and more I'm starting to remove the cello for cigars in the boxes in the coolers. I just find the wrappers soften up more, get a nice shine/plume that I don't seem to get when they are in the cello.

If I buy it as a single and put it in my desk top, I usually leave it on.

Couldn't be bothered to remove the plastic until I smoke it... What if I give it away, carry it, or ship it? And, to sit down and remove the cello on dozens of boxes of cigars? Nah...
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

9. Default

Gotcha, seems to be mostly preference...the aspect of giving away an unwrapped cigar is a bit unappealing too

thanks guys, I guess I'll have to try it both ways and see what works for me...

Thread Information