Thread: Brewing Coffee

Default Brewing Coffee

I have a french press which i use to make my coffee with. When I'm done, i toss the grinds in the trash but always end up washing some of the grinds down the garbage disposal as i rinse out the press. I've heard that coffee grinds aren't good for garbage dispossals and we just got a new one. Should i try some thing else to prevent the grinds from going down the sink?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

2. Default

Here's what you do: when you are done brewing and have all the coffee that you are going to drink pour out the excess water then simply (with the plunger still in the press) lay the press on its side and leave it,and go do something else (like smoke a cigar) when you come back you will have only fairly dried grounds left which you can throw away in the trash. If you are worried about a minute amount of grinds just place a drip coffee filter in your drain to catch all of the grinds. Question, why do you prefer the french press?

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by koolhandk View Post
    snip... Question, why do you prefer the french press?
    Jon, if I may step in here:

Kool, a French Press, when used correctly, will give what is possibly considered the very best full 8-12 oz cup of coffee you can get. Owners of the Aeropress may dispute that, but I don't own one, nor have I ever had the pleasure of having a cup from one, so I can't comment one way or the other. I own 3 Presses, a large one for home and 2 small ones, one at home and one in my office. It's my opinion that the flavours that come through without the bitterness associated with drip coffee is the big selling point.

Personally, I drink drip coffee so rarely that it's probably less that 1% of the coffee I drink. The Press is maybe 25% with the Espresso maching making the huge majority of what I consume.

Also, back on topic, Jon, Kool describes exactly what I do right up to the trash part. I save all the Espresso pucks and semi-dry grinds from the Press and compost 'em. Some say they aren't good for flower beds, but the Brides flowers don't seem to be complaining this year. I've never heard of 'em not being good for garbage disposals though. That's a new one on me.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

I would definately second the use of coffee grounds for compost, they are also good for keeping slugs out too.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

5. Default

I absolutely agree with the composting statement, granted even if you live in an apartment saving used grounds might be something a friend, relative, or co-worker might benefit from. I also agree with the statement about the french press being the best (as far as tase is concerned) method to brew coffee, but at the same time I am worried about all the reports I have read about the size of the grinds and the nature of the process being significantly more unhealthy than other brewing methods. At this point I only drink french press coffee on special occasions due to the supposed higher LDL cholesterol. Thanks for the info Newfie, but I knew all that already, I was just interested in stimulating some good coffee conversation. I do have a question though, what info do you have on these "increased health risks" of the french press?

Oh yeah and I love espresso too, it is always funny when you talk about drinking espresso or espresso based drinks and people react like "you're hardcore" everyone thinks that espresso is the hard liquor of the coffee world, when in reality a cup of coffee can sometimes have more caffeine than 2 to 3 shots of espresso.

snip... I do have a question though, what info do you have on these "increased health risks" of the french press?
    ....snip
    None, first I've heard of it. I also didn't know coffee affects LDL cholesterol in a bad way. I'm not sure I believe that though. I know everyone is different, but I go through ~ 1-1/2 lbs of beans a week and my blood reports are basically "Model" (in my doctor's words).

One thing I do know is that while there's virtually no calories in black coffee, it's very bad for a diet. Some how, the body recognizes the caffeine as an artificial stimulant and hoards fat, and in fact, prevents itself from normal "fat burning processes".

Oh yeah and I love espresso too, it is always funny when you talk about drinking espresso or espresso based drinks and people react like "you're hardcore" everyone thinks that espresso is the hard liquor of the coffee world, when in reality a cup of coffee can sometimes have more caffeine than 2 to 3 shots of espresso.
    LOL, I find the same thing. People say to me "You drink how many Espressos a day??"
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

7. Default

Wow, I didn't know that about the body's reaction causing fat hoarding tendencies...very interesting stuff.

my understanding is not that coffee grounds are bad for disposals, but rather septic systems, specifically leech fields.

Wow, I didn't know that about the body's reaction causing fat hoarding tendencies...very interesting stuff.
    Yeah. I've always been a big coffee drinker. When I went on a diet last year, I gave up all alcohol and basically all coffee (except for a decaf or 2 a day). I found no beer or whiskey was easy, but the coffee was pure hell. Now that I've reached goal, still no beer or booze, but plenty of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    my understanding is not that coffee grounds are bad for disposals, but rather septic systems, specifically leech fields.
    Makes sense Tyler, now that you mention it. I wouldn't guess coffee breaks down very fast and obviously doesn't dissolve, so I guess it would cause a pluggage issue!!

Thank you guys.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

OK if i may, i would like to way in on the diet discussion as i am studying exercise science in school. in regards to the statement that coffee can be bad in a diet is true. however i don't think (though i could be wrong, i am only a sophomore) that drinking it will cause 'hoarding' i believe this phenomenon is due your bodies reaction to a sudden dramatic decrease in caloric intake so it goes into survival mode thinking food is not plentiful. however if coffee intake is increased and your metabolism increases you may see a 'hoarding' of body fat for the same reason.

the main problem with coffee in general is ts strain on the heart and blood pressure, and for us younger guys the big problem is dehydration as cafiene blocks the bodies ability to absorb excess water in the urine.

as a disclaimer, i am not a medical doctor and cannot claim to know any of this to be actually true, what is here is pulled from the knowledge i believe to know from two years of college.

J

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    OK if i may, i would like to way in on the diet discussion as i am studying exercise science in school. in regards to the statement that coffee can be bad in a diet is true. however i don't think (though i could be wrong, i am only a sophomore) that drinking it will cause 'hoarding' i believe this phenomenon is due your bodies reaction to a sudden dramatic decrease in caloric intake so it goes into survival mode thinking food is not plentiful. however if coffee intake is increased and your metabolism increases you may see a 'hoarding' of body fat for the same reason.

the main problem with coffee in general is ts strain on the heart and blood pressure, and for us younger guys the big problem is dehydration as cafiene blocks the bodies ability to absorb excess water in the urine.

as a disclaimer, i am not a medical doctor and cannot claim to know any of this to be actually true, what is here is pulled from the knowledge i believe to know from two years of college.

J
    I think the problem with coffee is that some studies show that it lowers insulin sensitivity, thus the hoarding effect on fat. I enjoy coffee on a regular basis and have no problem maintaining around 12% body fat with decent diet and exercise. As with all other things in life, moderation is the key. Coffee also has tons of antioxidants which are made even more potent during the roasting process. Studies on coffee have shown that the benefits far outweigh any negative effects and that it's possible that it decreases the risk of Parkinson's disease and colon cancer.

I say drink up, you should be more worried about what you're putting into your coffee (cream and sugar) and eating with it (dunkin donuts) than the coffee itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    I say drink up, you should be more worried about what you're putting into your coffee (cream and sugar) and eating with it (dunkin donuts) than the coffee itself.
    very true words indeed. i think though the biggest downside to coffee is the addiction. Ever since i have been in college i have between 1-3 cups a day and i get the worst headaches in the morning if i don't have a cup in like an hour or two.
    Mark 8:36

All this bad talk about coffee is bummin me out...I need a DRINK!

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    All this bad talk about coffee is bummin me out...I need a DRINK!
    Ditto. This is killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    very true words indeed. i think though the biggest downside to coffee is the addiction. Ever since i have been in college i have between 1-3 cups a day and i get the worst headaches in the morning if i don't have a cup in like an hour or two.
    haha. That reminds me of a funnny story. My cousins in PA only drink decaffinated. The rest of my familly drinks regular coffee. On more then one occasion, one of the rest of us has been spending a holiday at my cousin's place and have felt the headaches after a day or two of unknowingly drinking decaffinated. It took my Uncle and myself a while to figure it out and once we found out,... well we went to Starbucks.

Thread Information