Thread: How did you find your favorite ?

Default How did you find your favorite ?

How did you guys find your current favorites? Sample packs? Recommendation? Also, what is your favorite and do you prefer mild, medium or full bodied cigars?

Myself, I prefer mild to medium smokes

I haven't really found a favorite. I like to try something new each time. There's only a few cigars that I have smoked more than two of. (Brazilia, Exodus,Onyx,Bolivar D.R.). I like the maduros the best and my favorite shape is the torpedo. I like Med-Full bodied smokes.
    Brian Wells

Reviews from people I trust and respect. Not necessarily full page, extensive reviews, but also casual posts about likes and dislikes from folks who have shown in the past they are at least semi intelligent and have similiar tastes to my own.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

All of the above!!! I tried many more than I currently buy, and found basically I can be happy with just about anything made by Fuente or Padron. I read quite a bit, both here and on top25cigar. Now, with review sites, if there's 20 reviews (as an example) I'll toss the top 5 and the bottom 5, and read just the middle 10. Those are the ones that mean the most IMHO.

Personally I prefer med - full smokes with the odd one on the milder side on a Sunday morning with a few Espressos, and every once in a while, I like an Edge or an LFD Double Ligero to get in my "Little Happy Place" as my daughter calls it.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

5. Default

"I read quite a bit, both here and on top25cigar. Now, with review sites, if there's 20 reviews (as an example) I'll toss the top 5 and the bottom 5, and read just the middle 10. Those are the ones that mean the most IMHO."

Very good point Newfie, I love top25.com it can be a very helpful reference.
    Last edited by koolhandk; 08-13-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar

And advertisements don't carry very much weight with me at least. And don't believe any of the hype you see on websites. They are trying to sell cigars and they don't know what you like. Ok Slightly off topic. Favorites may change as you palate develops and cigars go out of production, & new ones take thier place. You may have a few favorites for after lunch smokes & others for special occasions and still others for your drink of choice. Could be you'll find a number of cigars you'll favor.

Recentaly Ive been just trying what ever looks good to me when I go into my local Tobacco shop. I may read about a cigar on the net somewhere and when im at the shop next, I look to see if the have it. And if they do have it, ill pick one up.

Im still trying out different smokes, havent really decided if I like med or full-bodied cigars better than the other yet. Also Im not sure if I like Maduros better as well. Im pretty much still developing my tastes for different cigars right now. Im just trying as many different ones as I can.

Although I have come across a few that I really enjoy and consider my Favorites right now. H. Upmann, I absolutely love em, as well as Onyx too.

My favorites have been and will be determined by how a cigar tastes compared to what it cost. I am always trying new cigars and new favorites pop up every now and then. I like Padrons, I generally smoke one every day for breakfast ( a 3000). But I may be smoking a Torano next or an Edge. While I prefer stronger cigars I really prefer flavorful cigars. I just finished an Astral and thought it was a fairly flavorful smoke. It may be one of my new favorites.

Buy it..... try it...... if ya don't like it..... don't buy it again.....

If ya bought more than one..... send it to someone else to try. One mans trash, is another mans treasure
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

10. Default

mostly peer pressure from ChefChris, aka suggestions

Also, a lot of times what I'll do is walk into my shop of choice and tell the owner how much I want to spend and have him pick for me. I've found some tasty sticks that I normally wouldn't have tried this way.

Chris introduced me to the Don Kiki Browns and the shop owner to CAO golds but I don't get to smoke many of them.
    Last edited by metaldonnieg; 08-13-2007 at 09:30 PM.

11. Default

samplers of brands that seem to garner a lot of positive feedback (usually use ci and famous smoke buyer reviews + top25) and the odd purchase of something that looked enjoyable...I found I prefer dark and maduro's over naturals and I like toro and robusto shapes...box pressed doesnt bother me much unless I mis-punch it

Thread Information