Thread: Flying with Cigars???

Default Flying with Cigars???

Well Im gona be flying around the country for the next few months on business trips, and I was wondering if there is anything special I need to know about takin cigars with me. I plan on buying one of those aluminum travel cases that hold like 15 cigars (or an otter box), but other than that what else do I need or need to know?

When they scan my bags will they question me about my smokes or not, like wheter they are cubans or something wierd like that? I dont want to get to the aiport and have to leave behind $60 worth of cigars.

shouldn't be an issue unless you are going out of country... i've never had a problem...

Hey man, I made a post about this not too long ago looking for the same answer. I'm back from my trip, international. Just make sure there are not any bands that would indicate they are Cuban cigars and you'll be fine.

CLS - thanks for the heads up. I'll be studying abroad in Spain as of September, so I was wondering about ISOM status when I shipped my humi. I guess I'll just de-band all of my CCs and not worry about the rest.

Thanks for the info guys. No international flights for me, just around the country, mostly east coast for me. I should take them in my carry on right?

Actually this will be the first time flying for me since I was real young.

Im gona be goin to Boston, and probably Miami and Atlanta as well. So if there are any good cigar shops I should stop at let me know, cause Im gona try to stop a t a few if Im able to.

Ive checked and carried on. They never really question anything. If you do check them don't put a water pillow or humi device in the case. The otter boxes and suck have a GREAT seal. I never use water in those and have fresh smokes for weeks at a time(assuming they are not in heat)

When I travel I carry my 30ct cigar carrier with me along with my carry on luggage.

There is no problem flying any place inside the U.S.A. TSA realy doesnt care about cigars and its realy not their jurisdiction.

Flying out of the country is not a problem either. The only time you will or may have a problem is with Customs flying back into the states. They are the only ones that realy care about cigars.

Do the otter box.

Aslo whats the difference between "checked" luggage and "carry on" luggage. I pretty much know what carry on is, but I thought your only allowed one bag about the size of a back pack right?

Its been about 18 years since I have flown and I was only 4 years old at the time, so I know nothing of flying.

On a side note:

Im looking at these two travel cases.
    Otterbox 15ct - http://www.cigarmony.com/store/produ...a26444e526a39a
    Travel Humidor 30ct - http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...CICASE1&cat=10

Not sure which one to choose.
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 08-23-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I've done quite a bit of traveling with cigars, both domestic and international flights. I generally keep my smokes in my carry on in a big ziplock bag. The kind of look like a big clump of dynamite or something, which makes me nervous.

The only time I've ever been asked a question was coming back from the DR last summer into MIA. I got pulled at customs and the guy just looked at the bands to make sure they were not ISOM's.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Do the otter box.
    As I said in my post I never have a problem.

I use this to travel with....

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Aslo whats the difference between "checked" luggage and "carry on" luggage. I pretty much know what carry on is, but I thought your only allowed one bag about the size of a back pack right?

Its been about 18 years since I have flown and I was only 4 years old at the time, so I know nothing of flying.

On a side note:

Im looking at these two travel cases.
    Otterbox 15ct - http://www.cigarmony.com/store/produ...a26444e526a39a
    Travel Humidor 30ct - http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...CICASE1&cat=10

Not sure which one to choose.

I bought the 15 ct otterbox for my trip and I liked it a lot. I'll ditto the comment about not needing a humidifying device with it. I threw a stick of charged 65% beads in with the cigars and they ended up too wet after the flight. Had to leave the box open for a day or two to let them dry out.

Thread Information