Thread: Sol Cubano Maduro

Blog Entries

Default Sol Cubano Maduro

Vitola = Toro 6 X 50

This is an Oliva production from Esteli, Nicaragua. It is a visually appealing stick with a very dark brown and toothy maduro wrapper. The construction appears competent with no soft spots detected and a uniform give along the length. The cap is somewhat clumsy looking, but clips nicely.

The light was easy and the burn was straight and required no touch-ups during the smoke. The ash was well formed and tight and snapped off cleanly at about the 2 " mark. The flavor of this stick is typical dark, earthy, slightly sweet maduro and lands squarely in the medium body and strength categories for me. The profile was not overly complex, but was well rounded and pleasant. It was interesting enough to keep from being boring. It told me to put it down with about 1" remaining. Smoke time was 1 hr 33 min.

I would recommend this cigar as an enjoyable smoke, a step above a yard gar and one below a weekend treat. At $60 - $70 for a box of 25.....and often available on C-bid, these are a solid buy IMHO if you're looking for a mid-range maduro.

Nice review. I agree on all points. My experience with this stick: When they first arrived, I was a bit disappointed and consigned the rest of them to being fishing cigars.... after a few weeks I had another and it was *much* better. After another month, they came up to the rating you give, that is a step above yard gar but not quite weekend treat.

So, my advice is to try to get them on a deal, and let them sit. :)
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Fishing Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    Nice review. I agree on all points. My experience with this stick: When they first arrived, I was a bit disappointed and consigned the rest of them to being fishing cigars.... after a few weeks I had another and it was *much* better. After another month, they came up to the rating you give, that is a step above yard gar but not quite weekend treat.

So, my advice is to try to get them on a deal, and let them sit. :)
    I think I might have a number of "fishing cigars" in my humi. Is a cigar resigned to fishing because you might drop it in the water? Or, maybe have to re-light it a number of times? Or, maybe chew it more than smoke it?

You could also take a good cigar, you know if the fish aren't biting you could just kick back on a shady river bank and dream up some good stories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    snip......
    You could also take a good cigar, you know if the fish aren't biting you could just kick back on a shady river bank and dream up some good stories.
    That's what the campfire and scotch are for.........to accompany the "nice" smoke and foster the creativity of the fish stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I think I might have a number of "fishing cigars" in my humi. Is a cigar resigned to fishing because you might drop it in the water? Or, maybe have to re-light it a number of times? Or, maybe chew it more than smoke it?

For all those reasons, actually. I usually wade a creek or sit in a boat when fishing; if I dropped a ten-dollar stick in the boat-bottom slime or right into the drink I'd want to throw myself a beating. So I usually bring real cheapos to the creek.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information